Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

speed reading

Reaction score
sorry to hear that:rolleyes:

so does your post by the way

MVPlaya

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jason#4
anyone familiar with speed reading?
Jason,

I actually speed read and have a really strong memory (I've taken memory tests and I score in the 98th percentile), speed-reading a physics book won't help you, even with strong memory. The main problem is that when you do physics problems, you need to know where everything fits, you need to instinctually know how to solve the formulas, and you need to have tested all angles of a problem beforehand. If you memorize all the formulas , see a few sample problems, and then take the test, you're going to have major problems applying your knowledge. Remember, there's a time-limit to your physics exam. Speed-reading is generally useful for novels, like was stated earlier, for anything deeper, like physics or philosophy, you need to sit down and read it slowly. Read it slowly not because you can't memorize it or process it, but because each line in these texts is highly incomplete and requires you to reapply your knowledge unto it constantly and ponder all the possible variations, speed reading is good for absorbing material, not challenging it, and if you want to pass that physics final, you need to learn to challenge formulas.

So, my advice: you have a week left for your final, start reading and doing the problems.

-MV

Jason#4

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok, I guess I can't speed read for my physics, but maybe for my history final? I actually think I'm getting more stupid every year, you can see it in my grades. You think smoking pot will help? Some of my friends who are hella smart smoke it a lot.

Reaction score
Re: Re: speed reading

Originally posted by MVPlaya
Jason,

I actually speed read and have a really strong memory (I've taken memory tests and I score in the 98th percentile), speed-reading a physics book won't help you, even with strong memory. The main problem is that when you do physics problems, you need to know where everything fits, you need to instinctually know how to solve the formulas, and you need to have tested all angles of a problem beforehand. If you memorize all the formulas , see a few sample problems, and then take the test, you're going to have major problems applying your knowledge. Remember, there's a time-limit to your physics exam. Speed-reading is generally useful for novels, like was stated earlier, for anything deeper, like physics or philosophy, you need to sit down and read it slowly. Read it slowly not because you can't memorize it or process it, but because each line in these texts is highly incomplete and requires you to reapply your knowledge unto it constantly and ponder all the possible variations, speed reading is good for absorbing material, not challenging it, and if you want to pass that physics final, you need to learn to challenge formulas.

So, my advice: you have a week left for your final, start reading and doing the problems.

-MV
Hey did you build those skills yourself or have you pretty much been able to do this all your life?

I study arts and culture and I have a very hard time absorbing my material as i am repeating my first year right now, so some encouragement or some insights out of the real life would be very helpful

thank you

Tempest

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
hey,

Tony Robbins learned about speed reading during highschool and claims to have read over 700 books!

i'd be interested in learning about speed reading as well.

MVPlaya

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Memory I really can't explain. I just have a really strong memory, this is something that really developed in my mid-teens, and I don't know how, its not like I'm a hard-studier. Matter of fact, my memory has only made me lazier.

Speed-reading on the other hand:

When people read texts, they internally vocalize every word they read. As you are reading this sentence, you are speaking it to yourself inside your head, this is how you understand the sentence. When we were young, we learned to read by speaking sentences out loud because our brains weren't developed enough to calculate the symbols known as letters. So, when reading, this is the step to cognition:

Read text -> vocalize internally -> interpret vocalization

This drastically reduces the speed by which you can read. You're only as fast as your slowest part; in this case, thats vocalization. The human brain is capable of processing information at lightspeed, yet we are trained to speak at a slow conversational rate, even slower if you're a DJ. The key to speed-reading is to skip the vocalization step and read things at the speed of your eyes, not your throat.

Essentially, this is what a good speed-reader's step to reading cognition looks like:

Read text -> understand text

Its very difficult to get to this phase and it took me 2 years to really do it, but its been awesome to me, I go to Cal and the time I need to spend reading econ texts is drastically reduced.

The way to get to the new phase is to look at text and NOT vocalize it. You should be able to look at a word, such as: "door," and without vocalizing it, automatically understand its meaning. To a great extent, familiarity with words allows us to be able to automatically understand some 50% of our vocabulary without vocalization, yet we have been trained to vocalize it anyway by habit. What you need to do is refrain from vocalizing words. Once words make sense to you as soon as you see them, not hear them, the fastest you read a sentence depends on the speed of your eyes, not the rate of your voice.

Hope that helps.

-MV

Reaction score
Thank you

makes very much sense and is very much like what im reading from my pdf

What kind of exercises did you do? Did you take classes or did you follow a book?
How long did it take before you noticed spurts of progression in reading speed?

Cheers,

Tempest

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey I recently downloaded the EyeQ Speed Reading course... anyone know about it or has gotten results from it?

So far I find it awesome!! It's a computer program which contains videos, sessions which you complete daily, exercises and all kinds of neat things to get you on your way to reading 10x faster. Check it out.

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Tempest, I downloaded Eye-Q but couldn't install the hack.

This times for real, why didnt you like EyeQ?

Reaction score
Cool

as a time-management student, I HAVE to ask you how many hours you spent per day doing the evelyn woord exercises ;)

And errr, Ill get into maths after that :D

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What is the best way to speed read on the computer?

I use the mouse to guide me line after line to read quicker sometimes.

Reaction score
Originally posted by fuzzx
I only have to spent about 15 to 20 minutes a day on them. I practiced on every book after though, novels, textbooks, everything. My favorite reads are self help stuff though.
Groovy, what kind of selfhelp stuff is sticking with you kindof ?
Probably have a nice selection to select from then.

felony

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey i can testify to speed reading. It does work wonders. I've been able to increase my initial rate from 320wpm up to 650 wpm with a increase in level of comprehension. This means i can read an A4 page of text in font 12 in roughly 1 minute. And this has helped me significantly through my uni career, where i've been required to get through tonnes and tonnes of reading material.

I even posted a thread ages back promoting speed reading.

I am keen to further my reading up to at least 1k wpm maybe 2k. But i am finding this transition difficult. Does anyone know of some good programs to aid me? Or any ebooks i can download? How about drills?

Cheers,
f.

Reaction score
I dont know about programs.
I did read a (dutch) review about speed reading programs which had the critique that parts of sentences are not being sliced up grammatically but in number of words so the comprehension aspect gets scrambled.

Off emule, limewire or whatever there's the evelyn woods, photoreading,...

just type in " speed reading" in the documents search funcion and you'll come across plenty

im doing an ebook now simply called "The Speed Reading Course" by Peter Shepherd and Gregory Unsworth-Mitchel

"unsworth" LOL

Can you give me a link to the thread you posted.I used the search function, and only this is what i came across so far I think

Cheers,

catch

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ive got a book on speed reading, it took me about an hour to read the first half, and about a 20 seconds for the other half