Solo winter camping by Drew Simms-yt channel

The Red Crow

Banned
Reaction score

Jamming that, I walk into a room feeling like a crisp hundred dollar bill.

No crinkles, no creases...ready to mingle and feel a little tingle

BMX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not into camping for the most part but I recently started up my winter mountaineering hikes and training ruck marches. Love getting out in this cold air with all my gear and stuff.

christie

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not into camping for the most part but I recently started up my winter mountaineering hikes and training ruck marches. Love getting out in this cold air with all my gear and stuff.
Good way to embrace the cold. The cold is bracing and toughens like nothing else.

Must be organised at packing your pack. Good skill to have.
If you take any interesting nature pictures, please share them here.

Reactions: BMX

The Red Crow

Banned
Reaction score
I hate sleeping in a tent -- just feel too vulnerable, to be honest -- but I love being in the wilderness. Hiking has been my go to over the years, but I've considered getting an offroad bicycle. Any experience?

Last edited:
Reactions: BMX

BMX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good way to embrace the cold. The cold is bracing and toughens like nothing else.

Must be organised at packing your pack. Good skill to have.
If you take any interesting nature pictures, please share them here.
Oh yeah. I was just telling two friends today that I need to take pictures of the crazy amount of rocks/rock scrambling I have to do on this mountain trail I'm focusing on. I can easily twist an ankle or break something on this one. Will see what happens in a few days.

The Red Crow

Banned
Reaction score
A decade ago, I went through a phase where I was taking cold showers, exclusively. I'd read somewhere that it was somehow healthy, and it seemed like a challenge, so fvck it, why not.

I only did it for a few months, but holy sh1t, I will never forget the experience. You wanna see a quick shower?! Lol

BMX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I hate sleeping in a tent -- just feel to vulnerable, to be honest -- but I love being in the wilderness. Hiking has been my go to over the years, but I've considered getting an offroad bicycle. Any experience?
I'm seconding everything you just said. I would definitely find a sturdy mountain bike for yourself (and a helmet). A hardtail with the shocks up front. No need for dual-suspension unless you want to spend thousands or ride in serious enough terrain/go downhill mountain bicycling a lot. I started out riding BMX and racing a little bit, which is cool but I eventually grew up. Then I switched over to road bicycling pretty heavily, but that I DO NOT recommend with all the texting & driving, or whatever 100's of new distractions drivers are caught up in now. See what you can get because I was just told that the market for them is stiff amid this pandemic new or used. Go mountain biking or ride an assault bike at the gym if you need to lose a bunch of fat.

christie

Banned
Reaction score
I tried a 'fat' bike that I rented to ride in the tiny innercity forest in Winnipeg when I worked a construction job there.
It did make me feel safer going over little ruts and running over odd rocks but the wide fat tires made a distracting loud noise that I didn't like. Drowned out the sounds of the forest.

christie

Banned
Reaction score
A decade ago, I went through a phase where I was taking cold showers, exclusively. I'd read somewhere that it was somehow healthy, and it seemed like a challenge, so fvck it, why not.

I only did it for a few months, but holy sh1t, I will never forget the experience. You wanna see a quick shower?! Lol
I've tried the cold shower many times when we used to vacation in the logging woods on the Bay of Fundy every summer. Its certainly ok if you can go out in the sun right away.
Dipping into the Bay of Fundy itself was always cold too, even midsummer.

Cold water is a challenge all right.

christie

Banned
Reaction score
Oh yeah. I was just telling two friends today that I need to take pictures of the crazy amount of rocks/rock scrambling I have to do on this mountain trail I'm focusing on. I can easily twist an ankle or break something on this one. Will see what happens in a few days.
I still haven't tried a GoPro. That would be fun to relive a relaxing hike afterwards by watching it.

In nicer weather, I'm powerwalking on a type of rock during my workday.

If I keep my ankles 'loose', I seem to do ok. Roll with the twists kind of movement. Hard to explain.

The Red Crow

Banned
Reaction score
I'm seconding everything you just said. I would definitely find a sturdy mountain bike for yourself (and a helmet). A hardtail with the shocks up front. No need for dual-suspension unless you want to spend thousands or ride in serious enough terrain/go downhill mountain bicycling a lot. I started out riding BMX and racing a little bit, which is cool but I eventually grew up. Then I switched over to road bicycling pretty heavily, but that I DO NOT recommend with all the texting & driving, or whatever 100's of new distractions drivers are caught up in now. See what you can get because I was just told that the market for them is stiff amid this pandemic new or used. Go mountain biking or ride an assault bike at the gym if you need to lose a bunch of fat.
Nah man, I'm already fit. I was just thinking it would be fun.

My co-worker just spent $4,000 US on a road cycle. What the fvck?... And he did it to meet women!

You know what, I think walking in the woods is enough for me. You get to soak up the sights and sounds better anyway, which is what I'm there for.

The Red Crow

Banned
Reaction score
I've tried the cold shower many times when we used to vacation in the logging woods on the Bay of Fundy every summer. Its certainly ok if you can go out in the sun right away.
Dipping into the Bay of Fundy itself was always cold too, even midsummer.

Cold water is a challenge all right.
I was also just getting into the stoics at the time, so I was finding ways to challenge myself, mostly by depriving myself of common necessities.

I tried out intermittent fasting and counting calories (which I still do to this day). I also tried my hand -- or lack there of -- at not jacking off for about 3 months.

All good experiences, in hindsight. I learned a lot from them.

It's like Seneca says, and I'm paraphrasing here: it's not that you have to go without; it's about proving to yourself that you can.

The Red Crow

Banned
Reaction score
Seneca said:
The founder of the universe, who assigned to us the laws of life, provided that we should live well, but not in luxury. Everything needed for our well-being is right before us, whereas what luxury requires is gathered by many miseries and anxieties. Let us use this gift of nature and count it among the greatest things.

christie

Banned
Reaction score
I was also just getting into the stoics at the time, so I was finding ways to challenge myself, mostly by depriving myself of common necessities.

I tried out intermittent fasting and counting calories (which I still do to this day). I also tried my hand -- or lack there of -- at not jacking off for about 3 months.

All good experiences, in hindsight. I learned a lot from them.

It's like Seneca says, and I'm paraphrasing here: it's not that you have to go without; it's about proving to yourself that you can.
Yes.

I love proving to myself that I can go without.

I love self denial for short bursts to better define my character.

Where Seneca was first profound for you, Hesse was first profound for me. I think of Siddhartha many times since I first read of him. I'm not sure if he was labelled stoic or simply ascetic. I believe he is a fictional person, but I'm not sure.

That's funny that you wrote 'I also tried my hand - or lack there of-'

Good play on words.

Try going completely without a sexual life for awhile....you'll never again fall in love with nature so hard.
Everything flora and fauna living is beautiful and wondrous when you shut off your sexual expression and open up your senses fully to nature.
Only short bursts of time away from sex are needed to achieve this enlightened state.

To prove to yourself you can.

christie

Banned
Reaction score
Red, in case you're reading this, how is it you never got into David Hume? He's Scottish(your partial background) and apparently a major influence on Kant. Is he hard to read, using that Olde English I mean?
And haven't you heard of Emil Cioran? I looked up some of his quotes and they might make you feel better on your thoughts of the meaning of Death. You might identify with his flippant style.