Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

So I Caught the COVID. Do I Quit my High Risk Job?

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wanted to get some advice from you guys on here, see what you thought.

I recently got tested, and lo and behold I have COVID. I'm actually not that surprised. I work an extremely high risk part time job: a musician in a bar. Some asked why we are still having shows, but I've found that venues are opening back up no matter what lol.

I'll heal from this for sure because I'm young and in good health. I'm in isolation as we speak, for 14 days.

My question is, after I get better, should I go ahead and quit my part time job while we are in this pandemic? I do not want to get sick again. I was talking to my violin teacher, and he said something like "Money comes and goes, but your health is most important. Why would you want to play for crowds that won't even wear masks?" At nearly every show I worked, I was the only one wearing a mask. Yet I still got sick lol.

The problem with this is, I want to continue with this job as my side hustle after I graduate and become a programmer. So do I really want to just up and quit? I might lose my spot(and it is really nice having a guaranteed job as soon as I graduate, since we're going into a recession.) On top of that, I'd be losing money that I was going to save up and use to fight against student loans. One option I had thought of is having an ultimatum: "If I am going to play at bars, which are very high risk environments, then my N95 mask stays on at all times." It's not even coming off to eat or drink, I'll eat and hydrate up before I even go out.

On the other hand, having this virus really sucks. Even though I'll get better. I'm just not sure if it's a good idea to be out in bars at all in this current climate. I know that it's possible for sure to get re-infected even though I've had it once before.

So I just wanted to get some advice/opinions from you guys on here so I can decide what to do on the way forward.

Billtx49

Reaction score
Listen to your violin teacher until a vaccine is available …
Money and possessions are secondary to quality of life.

Billtx49

Reaction score
Does anyone know an estimated timeframe for when we're gonna get a vaccine?
Last word I heard via quality news source from DC was at least a million doses by Oct to Dec. timeframe, and VP says 100M by Jan.

stovepipe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Anyone who would even consider taking a rona vaccine I will pray for you tonight.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you have Covid now, wouldn't that have essentially the same effect as a vaccine? You've been exposed to it, so now your body should recognize it and be ready to fight it. Isn't that what a vaccine does?

I didn't know they had violinists in bars, must be high class places. As for whether or not you should quit, only you can answer that. I wouldn't, but I'm not really afraid of the virus either. I don't want it, but I'm not afraid of it. You have to decide if your musicianship is more important than avoiding the virus. If you're young and healthy, and it doesn't affect you that badly, maybe that's something to take inot account. The whole response to this reminds me of an old saying "The coward dies a thousand deaths, but the valiant taste of death but once". I guess that's the flip side to your violin teacher's advice.

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

I recently got tested, and lo and behold I have COVID. I'm actually not that surprised. I work an extremely high risk part time job: a musician in a bar. Some asked why we are still having shows, but I've found that venues are opening back up no matter what lol.

I'll heal from this for sure because I'm young and in good health. I'm in isolation as we speak, for 14 days.

My question is, after I get better, should I go ahead and quit my part time job while we are in this pandemic? I do not want to get sick again. I was talking to my violin teacher, and he said something like "Money comes and goes, but your health is most important. Why would you want to play for crowds that won't even wear masks?" At nearly every show I worked, I was the only one wearing a mask. Yet I still got sick lol.

The problem with this is, I want to continue with this job as my side hustle after I graduate and become a programmer. So do I really want to just up and quit? I might lose my spot(and it is really nice having a guaranteed job as soon as I graduate, since we're going into a recession.) On top of that, I'd be losing money that I was going to save up and use to fight against student loans. One option I had thought of is having an ultimatum: "If I am going to play at bars, which are very high risk environments, then my N95 mask stays on at all times." It's not even coming off to eat or drink, I'll eat and hydrate up before I even go out.

On the other hand, having this virus really sucks. Even though I'll get better. I'm just not sure if it's a good idea to be out in bars at all in this current climate. I know that it's possible for sure to get re-infected even though I've had it once before.

So I just wanted to get some advice/opinions from you guys on here so I can decide what to do on the way forward.
Honestly I think you having been positive will be as effective as any vaccine.
Get well soon. Hopefully you have a very minor case like a coworker of mine.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you have Covid now, wouldn't that have essentially the same effect as a vaccine? You've been exposed to it, so now your body should recognize it and be ready to fight it. Isn't that what a vaccine does?
I'm no scien-tician, but it depends, no? I don't think catching polio would be tantamount to being vaccinated against it. But I'm not sure we know how Covid works fully yet.

Billtx49

Reaction score
I'm no scien-tician, but it depends, no? I don't think catching polio would be tantamount to being vaccinated against it. But I'm not sure we know how Covid works fully yet.
Exactly, but ask to antivaxers that didn’t take the Salk polio vaccine how it worked out for them. I know one guy who didn’t get the shot because of his mother’s ineptitude and fears. He still limps today and was never able to play in any sports.
Uncertainty and fear are No reason to risk one’s health regarding a still largely unknown virus if highly educated men say their developed vaccine will kill it…

Lynx nkaf

Banned
Reaction score

get well soon Nick, you will make the best decision concerning your job, good luck man

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Common logic tells you that a rushed vaccine could have unknown longterm side effects
I need to clarify here that I will likely take the vaccine. Just posing the logical argument against doing so.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey man,

Feel better. Only you can answer this question. It's up to your own personal risk level.

I wouldn't count on it soon, nor would I take it until it's in effect for a full season. My best guess would be the flu season of next year (Fall 2021-Spring 2022) for the general public. The Federal government right now is blowing smoke up everyone's ass because it's election season. This pandemic will likely dominate the world for a total of 3 years, based off historical precedent of the Spanish Flu. It will likely be endemic after that in perpetuity like influenza.

As for my personal advice, live your life as "normally" as you can but take every precaution to minimize risk. Wash your hands thoroughly and often. Wear a mask in public. Do not hang out in indoor spaces where people are not observing mask and social distancing guidelines. If your livelihood leaves you no choice, then proceed but mask up and take the quickest safer alternative opportunity available. Getting sick sucks but keep in mind this thing can cause permanent internal organ damage. Is that worth it?

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wouldn't count on it soon, nor would I take it until it's in effect for a full season. My best guess would be the flu season of next year (Fall 2021-Spring 2022) for the general public.
I keep asking people if they're going to take the vaccine. Everyone either says they are not or they are going to wait and see how it effects a bunch of other people. Somebody needs to be the guinea pigs lol. It's possible the first rounds will only be for high risk patients anyway.

PeasantPlayer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Vaccine trails go through three phases and they take 10 to 15 years to be made public depending on results. You are seriously deluded if you take a vaccine with only 1 year of testing on it.

The first trails already had to be stopped because of bad side effects.