Situps?

theapprentice

Don Juan
Reaction score
Will doing a 100 situps everyday tone my stomach and make the 10 lbs of fat disappear if I do them for about two months straight.

Nasman

Banned
Reaction score
It depends on diet and genetics. You will probably tone a little, but you are not going to have a 6 pack. Get rid of all the carbs, this will probably help. But if you have bad genetics than it is going to be tough.

L777

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nasman said:
It depends on diet and genetics. You will probably tone a little, but you are not going to have a 6 pack. Get rid of all the carbs, this will probably help. But if you have bad genetics than it is going to be tough.
I think I have the right genetics to develop a 6 pack, ie skinny. I'm still smaller than I want to be so i don't cut anything out of my diet, but I may do in the future (after having bulked up) to achieve the hallowed 6 pack...although I was under the impression that one would cut out fat, rather than carbs...am I wrong?

John_Galt

Banned
Reaction score
Dietary fat and body fat are completely unrelated.

The reason he says carbs is because this is what people tend to over consume. You really need to consume less calories than you burn. But carbs are the main thing that cause body fat. Carbs are your bodies source of energy. Any source of energy that isn't used is stored as fat. If you over consume protein, yes you will put on fat, but it won't be as bad since your body has to burn a lot of calories to convert protein to sugar than to fat.

But than again, I don't agree with the above advice to remove carbs though.

theapprentice

Don Juan
Reaction score
The only way too lose fat is cardio?

Is the only way to loose fat through cardio and watching my diet.

What about not eating anything?

Skel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you need to do cardio to tone up and stop eating crap food

md3sign

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
To expound on what John said:

Bodyfat percentage ultimately goes up or down due to an overall calorie surplus or deficit. That's all. Figure out your LBM, your BMR, how much you eat a day (fitday.com is great for this), how much you should be eating, and lower than by a few hundred calories. Keep protein high, carbs moderate, and fats low, and with a proper excersize program you'll start losing fat.

Carbs aren't the only source of energy. Fat and protein can also be used for fuel and often are.

Cardio is just a way to burn calories. There's nothing that makes cardio superior to other forms of excersize when trying to lose bodyfat.

You don't develop a 6 pack. It's already there. Either it shows or it doesn't.

There's no such thing as spot reduction (short of liposuction). If you want to lose fat in your stomach, you have to lose it everywhere. No amount of situps will help you.

Why on earth would you do 100 situps a day? Unless you're training for serious endurance (armed forces or a specific sport), you're much better off doing sets of weighted situps to build up core strength and make that 6 pack BIGGER.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
md3sign said:
You don't develop a 6 pack. It's already there. Either it shows or it doesn't.
Disagree to an extent, otherwise you wouldn't have skinny guys at 8% bodyfat with no abs - your 6 pack has to be developed like any other muscle with progressive resistance.

md3sign

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, technically the fiber connections are all there. I agree you need to train them to make them bigger and if you live a completely sedentary lifestyle yet have a super low bf% it may not look like you have them ... but muscles are there no matter how small they are.