Shag's Lifting and Diet Journal.

shagnscoob

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
that scheme except starting over with the weights at 95 right?

shagnscoob

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Awesome day at the gym--

Bench Press 1x8 90 felt too easy so the 2nd set of 8 I did 95 (10lbs heavier than last week)

Incline Press 2x10 80lbs. another 10lbs increase (as well as finished actual 2x10, instead of 1x10 1x8)

Military Press 1x8 60lbs. then 1x8 70lbs. (25lb increase)

Triceps Pushdown-- I did em' the right way this week and could only do 2x10 of 35lbs. but damn they feel worked.

plus some ab work. I can do less and less leg lifts each week, wtf?

shaunuk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good stuff shags, keep it up :up:

BTW, are you benching with barbells or dumbbells? Also, if you're interested in tricep development, you might wanna try dips sometime (instead of flat bench), you'll find you get a lot of bang for your buck on your triceps. :)

Your weights are going up nicely, awesome :)

-shaun

shagnscoob

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Barbell on a smyth machine. Once I've gotten my weight up to maybe 135 or so I'm going to drop a few pounds and move to free weights.

I'm looking at a way to hit my triceps better when I rotate exercises. I'm thinking Benching AND dips with no additional tricep work...

edit-- I've been taking CEE for about a week and a half now, could that be the big gains in weights? I've also been warming up a lot better, read the warming up article by iron addict.

shagnscoob

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm noticing size differences in my chest now. I think because of my tricep imbalance still.

My left SIDE is now weaker than my right side, not just the arms.

what should i do?

shagnscoob

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Todays workout--

Pulldowns 3x10 90
Tbar rows 2x8 50
Curls ---> this set was whack, I basically couldnt find a weight in between 40-45 so i did a few curls on each side of a 20lb dumbbell
deadlifts 2x10 105
squats 1x10 105

so starting next week im rotating exercises, im going to start doing everything on dumbbells for a few weeks and doing only as much weight as my left side can handle, then after that ill rotate again.

How does this look--

day 1:

Dumbbell Tricep Extensions 2x10-12
Dumbbell Military Press 2x6-8
(What can I do for incline press? That Iso Incline Press machine could be one side at a time...)
Dumbbell Bench Press 2x6-8
Abs

day 2:
Assisted Pullups 3xFailure
Tbar rows 2x8
Hammer Curls 1x10
Squats
Deads

shagnscoob

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Week 6 I think--

Bench Press 2x8 100lbs.
Incline Press 1x10 1x7 85lbs.
Military Press 2x8 80lbs
Behind the Head Tricep Extensions (one arm at a time) 1x9 15lbs. 1x10 12lbs.
Abs

I know a lot about how lifting and ZMA (im getting it in my NOW:Adam multi) and stuff are supposed to pump my testosterone way up, which in turn will pump my sex drive.... but I'm not feeling that. If anything my sex drive has gone down since January....

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Shagnscoob - I don't know how old you are but if you're anything under 30 then lifting + your natural hormones should have your sex drive through the roof. If it's lowered then I would worry, although I'm pretty sure I know why.

Give me a typical day's diet (be honest, if you eat donuts write it down) plus your cardio/training routine and your current stats. Also tell me your morning temperature and whether you have a morning erection or not (this is a serious question, just say yes or no).

And for the record ZMA is far from a test booster despite the zinc content. It works well as a sleeping aid though, as long as it doesn't give you weird dreams (which interrupt your sleep).

shagnscoob

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Well Espi I think if you took the weights that you think you lift for squats and deads and tried to do them on the same day then yeah you would for sure be in trouble. But since I'm just started I don't have any concept of what my maxes ae, so I think it would be alright to do both with weights much lighter than my max but still work me really hard because of the 3 work sets involved. In all honesty the deads seem to work my back far more than my legs, and squats vice versa.

Stats
Height: 5'10''
Weight: 150

Routine
Mondays:
Bench Press 2x8
Incline Press 2x10
Military Press 2x8
Triceps Exercise 2x10
Abs

Thursdays:
Pulldowns 3x10
Tbar Rows 2x8
Bicep Curls 1x10
Squats 2x10
Deads 1x10 (and switch the 2 weekly, so next week would be Deads 2x10 and Squats 1x10)

No "cardio", but I have been walking before breakfast a few days a week.

It's too late for me to measure my morning temp. today, but for awhile I don't think I was getting morning erections or very many erections daily anyway, but I have been getting morning ones for a couple days now, and yesterday I felt like I had erections throughout the day as well.

Daily Supplements
100g Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein
3g Fish Oil
6g CEE
600mg ALA
800mg Vitamin E
NOW:Adam Vcaps

Generally what I eat everyday:

2 Cups of Oatmeal w/ 1.5 cups 1% milk

1 Can Tuna on 2 Slices Wheat

Some sort of Sandwhich with lots of meat and vegetables (and olive oil)

5 Eggs

2 or 3 Pieces of Chicken

+100 grams of Whey with water throughout the day, sometimes with milk to get me up to 300grams (2 per pound of bodyweight). I think I know what you're going to say-- not enough healthy fats to regulate my hormones? Every now and then I'll throw in a slice of pizza, or a piece of cake or a cookie or something, but definitely not every day.

I know ZMA is a testosterone "booster" but doesn't it help you reach you're maximum production potential? Note that I have only been taking the Now:Adam Vcaps with ZMA in them for about 4 days, before that was a ****ty Centrum multivit. Maybe thats why I'm noticing the increased erections in the past couple days?

Last edited:

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
shagnscoob said:
Well Espi I think if you took the weights that you think you lift for squats and deads and tried to do them on the same day then yeah you would for sure be in trouble. But since I'm just started I don't have any concept of what my maxes ae, so I think it would be alright to do both with weights much lighter than my max but still work me really hard because of the 3 work sets involved. In all honesty the deads seem to work my back far more than my legs, and squats vice versa.

Thats why you keep adding weight until it's tough. I would also recommend against Deads/Squats in the same routine. Go as heavy as you can on both.You're not doing yourself any good lollygagging with light weights just so you can "find your max". Get your form down, then pack on the pounds my friend.

shagnscoob

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Skilla_Staz said:
Thats why you keep adding weight until it's tough. I would also recommend against Deads/Squats in the same routine. Go as heavy as you can on both.You're not doing yourself any good lollygagging with light weights just so you can "find your max". Get your form down, then pack on the pounds my friend.
Well also taking them off the same day would mean adding a whole day into my routine because neither would fit in Chest/Tris day... I'd like to note that this routine is the EXACT routine that is one of Iron Addict's top 5 favorite routines.

shaunuk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Skilla, Shags is doing a hardgainer routine posted by Iron Addict on the IA forums. It's designed so there's only 1 set of deadlifts and 2 sets of 10 rep squats, so the workload is still manageable by 'hardgainers' (it's a 2 day upper/lower split btw).

The routine's fine, and based on IA's reputation, I trust it even more :)

-shaun

shagnscoob

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yesterday's Workout--

3 Sets of Assisted Pull Ups (first with 18lbs, then 28)
Rows 2x8 55lbs.
Curls 1x10 20lbs. (one arm at a time, probably should have only done 17.5, the last few reps were lousy on both sides)
Squats 2x10 115lbs.
Dead 1x10 105lbs.

Squats + Deads= I could still go a little heavier on both, but this system seems like it'll work well. I added 10lbs to my squat this week, and I think I could have gone another 5 pounds on both and been alright.

I tried adding more fat into my diet by dropping 3-4 tablespoons of Olive Oil each day...

My sex drive is still nowhere. I haven't masturbated in weeks, I'm having sex less than once a week, and I don't even feel horny ever. It's outrageous. Can I get some bloodwork done to see whats goin on?

shaunuk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I tried adding more fat into my diet by dropping 3-4 tablespoons of Olive Oil each day...

My sex drive is still nowhere. I haven't masturbated in weeks, I'm having sex less than once a week, and I don't even feel horny ever. It's outrageous. Can I get some bloodwork done to see whats goin on?
Hm yeah, it's good to see you're putting more fat in your diet, because fats control hormones in your body, so a decent supply of fats = lots of good hormones = high sex drive = horny bugger ;) I take it you are usually waking up with a morning erection btw?

Keep taking the olive oil...However, are you getting enough sleep mate? My sex drive is lousy when I'm tired and sleep deprived - apparently lack of sleep can result in hormonal changes, as well as general fatigue.

If it's none of that stuff, did your sex drive diminish when you started lifting? Or was it like this before you started training?

cheers,
-shaun

shagnscoob

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
morning erections = not usually.

sleep = for the past couple days i have been doing decent, at least 7 hours but nowhere near the 9-10 i was getting last week. although the problem has been for much longer than that....

I noticed the decrease after I started lifting. However I started taking accutane at about the same time, although I've been off accutane for 3 weeks now and all the other visible side effects have gone away.

I think my fat balance is all wrong, but I think theres more to it as far as Testosterone goes... I don't really know what to do.

shagnscoob

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Today--

Bench Press 2x8 110 (so ****ing hard but i went up 10 pounds)
Incline Press 1x10 1x7 90lbs.
Tri Extens. 1x10 1x9 15lbs.
Military Press 1x8 1x6 90lbs (I wrote 90 as my goal but it appears as though I meant to write 85.... oh well!)
Abs

shagnscoob

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yesterday--

Pull Ups 2x w/ 16lbs assistance, 1x 22lbs.
Rows 2x8 57.5
Curls 1x5 (with 20 pounds, the most my left side could do.)
Deadlifts 2x10 115 (my form sucks, I need to spend a lot of time correcting it.)
Squats 2x10 125 (my form is good, i just need to get lower and use more weight, the first set didnt tire me out like i thought it would).

shagnscoob

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Monday--

Bench Press 2x8 115lbs (im still using a smyth machine, and now im sliding around on the bench, so i think i better start doing it on a real bench...)
Incline Press 1x10 1x7 90lbs (i lowered the incline to hit more of my upper pecs, was harder)
Military Press 2x8 90 pounds (i had to use a crappy press machine, otherwise i would have tried going up, it was really hard to do because of the way the machine went...)
Triceps 1x10 15lbs, 1x10 17.5 (shouldve done 17.5 on both...)
Abs

Charm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Keep it up and you will make big gains

shagnscoob

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
About my body changing--

I was watching a tv show about celebrities hottest bodies and whatnot, and i wanted to watch the whole thing but the FB i was with didnt, i said "who do you think is the #1 dude?"

she said brad pitt. and then we started talking about fight club and she said "you know i think the way you're shaped you could easily look like him..." which rocked.

plus another ladyfriend is noticing more and more like, she keeps looking at my body like we'll be kissing and she'll lift up my shirt just to look at my chest/abs or she'll unnecessarily feel my arms and stuff.

its awesome. I've gained somewhere around 8 or 9 pounds.