Reaction score
Thursday, August 7, 2008

1. Morning Cardio
2. Weighted Sit-ups
3. Hanging leg raises

--
1. Morning Cardio
Elliptical interval(2/1), 30 minutes, 320 cals

Woke up a little later than usual, didn't miss a beat though.
-
2. Weighted Sit-ups 2x10
5xbw
10x1.25kg
10x2.5kg

Alright, there's the start of the progression. Going to start adding 1.25kg per workout now.
-
3. Hanging leg raises 3x5
5xbw
5xbw
5xbw

Again, there's the beginning. Going to add 1.25kg per workout.
---
---
Diet:

6 eggs
handful of diced steak
2 chicken breasts
2 WPI shakes
2 cups of oatmeal
handful of almonds
veggies: some snow peas and brocolli
Lots of water(I have to piss every 5 minutes :p)
a few mugs of green tea
supps: 15g fish oil,1xVit.E, 10g glutamine, 2xmulti, 1xThermo, 3xZMA.

Should I only take BCAAs on workout days or is it cool to take them on offdays as well? On that same note, I'm still looking for a decent workout bottle over here to make shakes with. It's harder to find one that it should be. Didn't have CEE today.

--

Solid day, hit the cardio/workout/diet macros. I don't know if anybody remembers, but I'm gonna be doing that point system again. 3 points available per day(cardio,diet,workout) and 15 points per week. If I hit a certain percentage I allow myself a small cheat meal(or beer:D) here and there. Good incentive to stay on track.

cheers

She makes you weak in the knees.

But she won't give you the time of day.

Here is how to get her.

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd rather increase the BCAAs taken on workout days and only take on off-days if you can afford it.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
personally I think you're being too anal, and worrying too much about supplements and cheat meals when your daily nutrition could be improved.

what are you trying to do right now? just hit those strength goals?

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Haha I've been known to be anal about some things... Keep in mind it's not that hard for me to take the supps. I've had them lying around for a long time, so why not put them to good use.

As for what I'm up to these days... I have roughly 10lbs of bodyfat to shed, and gaining some strength back. The strength should come quickly if muscle memory does its job. The bodyfat will come off quickly too as long as I eat clean and hit those morning cardio sessions.

In order, here are my goals:

1. Lose 8-12lbs of bodyfat. Ideally right now I'd like to be at 180lbs 10-12%bf. Ill have to get my bodyfat checked, I'd estimate it's around 17%
2. Hit strength goals
3. Gain 10lbs of muscle.

I can probably shed that bodyfat in 3 months and at least get closer to the strength goals by then, maybe even add a couple lbs of muscle.

How can I improve my daily nutrition?

edit: Hey Simon, that's why I don't take them every day now... they're quite expensive :D

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Friday, August 8, 2008

1. Morning Cardio
2. Squat
3. Incline Bench
4. Deadlift
5. Rows
6. Pull-ups
7. Chin-ups

-
1. Morning Cardio
Elliptical, 30 minute intervals(2/1), 330 cals

-
2. Squat 2x6
6x70kg
6x70kg

I'm happy with these. Easily could have pumped out 2 more reps for each set, but Monday is the first day on the schedule so whatever.
-
3. Incline Bench 2x6
6x60kg
6x60kg

Again didn't go for the 8 reps. My right shoulder isn't 100% so was a little tentative. The rest until next wednesday should clear it up nicely.
-
4. Deadlift 2x6
6x70kg
6x70kg

Fairly easy, I could feel the fatigue of the past week by the end of this.
-
5. Rows 2x8
8x39kg
8x39kg

Dug deep for these, first time I've done them in ages. Should make gains fairly quickly.
-
6. Wide-grip pullups 2x5
Very weak on these right now. I managed 3xbw before failure.. Used the assistance platform to pump out the remaining 7 reps. I know I'm not supposed to continue to failure but I need a start point for them. Going to chip away at them until I hit 2x8 at bodyweight, then start doing them weighted.
-
7. Chin-ups 1x5
Didn't have much left in the tank after pullups... managed 2xbw, then used assistance for last 3 reps. Again just like pullups, going to continue until I get to 2x8 at bodyweight, then beyond.
--

Good workout, starting to feel a little fatigue. Also biked 10km today. The biking around here is all up and down, very hilly terrain so it takes something out of you. If I could, I'd cut out some of the cycling but its my only way of getting around right now, so..
---
---
Diet:

-Turkey wrap(lettuce, onions, turkey, sweet chili sauce)
-Handful of diced steak
-6 eggs
-mug of green tea (ran out of green tea ;))
-5g fish oil, vit. E, multivitamin
-Handful of diced steak
-Small handful of almonds
-Plate of rice/noodles
-Small portion of diced steak
-2 WPI shakes
-1 Chicken breast
-2 cups of oatmeal

I had that plate of rice/noodles/beef(vietnamese) because I was famished after the bike ride.

By the way, this list isn't in order that I ate them, its just how I type them down. I could do it meal by meal if you'd like.

Going to mod this diet over the weekend.. Currently eating 2 chicken breasts per day, probably cut that back to 1. Will add some more red meat and bump up the eggs to 9 or 12. All carbs are going to come around the workout(TCD style).

--

Good week, although tiring!

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quiksilver said:
Will add some more red meat and bump up the eggs to 9 or 12. All carbs are going to come around the workout(TCD style).
now we're talkin. :D

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Monday, August 11, 2008

1. Squat
2. Leg Press
3. Romanian Deadlift
4. Pullthrough
5. Calf Raises
6. Walking DB Lunges

--
1. Squat 2x5
12xbar
6x30kg
3x40kg
1x60kg
1x70kg
5x75kg
5x75kg

Fairly easy, all the daily cycling is good conditioning for my legs, and the overall increase in daily activity is helping a lot. Shouldn't be long before I'm putting up some decent weight.
--
2. Leg Press 1x20
20x80kg

Was going to do 20 rep squats, but the gym was particularly full at the time I went(later than norm) and I literally had a line up behind me after the 2x5 squats. Decided to hit the leg press, will switch to the squat rack next week though.
--
3. Romanian Deadlifts 2x15
10x30kg
10x30kg

Received a compliment on my flexibility(was using an aerobic step for these) from a cute girl there:D. Will be slowly increasing this weight, pretty linear and no sudden jumps.
--
4. Pullthroughs 2x8
10x4?
10x5?

I did 10 by accident and am increasing the weight until I find it difficult. I don't know the weight that I'm using, because they're just numbered 1-15, no units of measurement on it. I'm gonna try your glute ham raises next week Quag :up:
--
5. Calf Raises 2x10
10x40kg
10x40kg

Did these on the leg press machine, don't know the weight of the actual slider, so just gonna count the weight of the plates I put on it.
--
6. Walking DB Lunges 1x10
10x10kg

Starting light here, gonna work up slowly. I can feel that my groin is still stiff and will try to stretch it out more in the mornings.
--
7. Cardio 15 min
Elliptical, steady pace, 125 calories
--
Good workout, first day back on the routine. Was a little flat for the first half but it didn't stop me from hitting any reps.
---
---
Diet:

Here's the unveiling of the diet Alex and I slapped together over the weekend, hit it perfectly today.
Monday(High Cal):
9 eggs
.25kg ground beef
.25kg diced steak
1 chicken breast
2 WPI shakes
120g oats
3 servings of veggies
20g olive oil(used a little bit more)
15g fish oil
3 cups green tea
lots of water
Supps: 2xmulti, vit.E, thermo, 15g glutamine, 5g taurine, 20g creatine, 3xZMA. All the powders are taken with the shakes pre/post workout. Forgot to take BCAAs today.

270g protein
140g fats
120g carbs

2,800 calories.

I know I don't really need to be taking all the powders, but I have them sitting around here so no point in letting them go to waste :).
---
---
I've weaned myself off carbs again, to the point where I simply forgot to get a serving of carbs in preworkout, lol. That would explain feeling flat doing squats. Also did more cycling today. Couldn't do morning cardio.

Feeling better by the day!

Heart Break Kid

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Man, this is down to a science. I'm inspired to use this carb/fat/protein program I torrented again to start recording everything I eat.

Hope you don't mind but I stole this:

1. Cardio
2. Squats
3. Incline Bench
4. Deadlift
5. Rows
6. Dips

Which I alternate with Standing military press, power cleans and chin ups and it is really intense ! I do normal benchpress though. Have you managed a spotter already Quik or do you just bench carefully? I'm curious because my benchpress days I always go with someone. If I did not I could add an extra day.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nah I never use a spotter, never have either. For awhile there won't be any need to, since I'm just gaining back lost strength. When you start to max again, the best thing to do is just slide a bench into the power rack, adjust the guards to a good height, and bench away. Using a spotter is iffy, because they can interfere with a hard rep, one that you struggle with and just barely get up. With a spotter, if it doesn't look easy to them they usually reach down and Upright Row half the weight for you :)

It's also good to know how to fail a rep safely.

--

I forgot to mention that I had to bully some kid out of the power rack where he was performing "bicep curls".

Told him his form was crap and he might hurt himself, then proceeded to lead him over to the DB racks/mirror to show him how to do it properly, and left him with some 'drills' to do. The power rack was mine!! :D

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Tuesday, August 12, 2008

1. Morning Cardio
2. Weighted Sit-ups
3. Hanging Knee Raises
4. Post-Workout Cardio

--
--
1. Morning Cardio
Elliptical, 60 minutes, 9.5km, 600 calories

--
2. Weighted Sit-ups 2x10
10x2.5kg
10x4kg

--
3. Hanging Knee Raises 2x10
10x1kg
10x1kg

These were difficult, I'm sure I'll get some benefits from strengthening these muscles.
--
4. Cardio
Treadmill, 15 minutes, 5.0km/h, 5.0 incline, 125 calories

---
---
Diet:
Tuesday, Low Cal

breakfast - 9 eggs
meal 2 - .25kg steak + veggies
meal 3 - chicken breast + veggies
meal 4 - 1 WPI shake(glutamine + taurine)
meal 5 - .25kg Ground beef + veggies
meal 6 - tbsp of cottage cheese, tbsp of olive oil
supps: 15g fish oil, vit.E, 2xmulti, thermo, ZMA. Had 5 cups of green tea, and lots of water.

240g protein
140g fats
0g carbs

2,220 calories
---
---

Woke up late today but still got everything done. My lower abs are very weak !! They should come along nicely now with these knee raises though. The diet was good too, didn't miss a beat, and didn't even consider eating crap food. The one thing that I can do better is to stop using dressing/marinading on the meats.. Or at least limit how much of it I use; it's a carb in disguise, so it'll have to disappear on zero carb days :(.

Whatever, good workout, good day!

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wednesday, August 13, 2008

1. Morning Cardio
2. Incline Bench
3. Flat Bench
4. Dips
5. Shoulder Press
6. Lateral Raises
7. Tricep Pulldowns
8. Post-workout Cardio
---
---
1. Morning Cardio
Elliptical, 40 minutes, 6.85km, 425 calories

It was cold as fvck this morning, hard to force myself awake and bike 2km to the gym.
--
2. Incline Bench 2x5
12xbar
6x40kg
3x50kg
1x60kg
5x70kg
5x70kg

--
3. Flat Bench 1x10
3x70kg (f)

A little confusing here, wasn't really in the right state of mind. Will do much better in weeks to come.
--
4. Dips 5x5
5xbw
5xbw
5xbw
5xbw
5xbw

Going to start adding weight next week, felt strong on these, far stronger than last week!
--
5. Shoulder press 2x10
10x10kg
10x12.5kg

Starting light here, will work up steadily.
--
6. Lateral Raises 2x10
10x6kg
10x6kg

Again, light start.
--
7. Tricep pulldowns 2x12
12x15kg
12x17.5kg

very easy, could have gone harder but whatever, no need to push myself hard in the first week.
--
8. Post-workout cardio
- scratched, my buddy had to leave so we took off. I'm getting some good cardio in with just general biking every day as transportation, so not too concerned about little chunks of cardio.
---
---
Diet:
Wednesday, High Cal

cardio
breakfast - 9 eggs
meal 2 - steak + veggies
meal 3 - chicken + veggies
meal 4 - preworkout shake + 60g carbs(oats)
gym
meal 5 - crocodile + white rice, in hot chili sauce
meal 6 - mince + veggies
supps: 15g fish oil, vit.E, 2xmulti, etc.

270g protein
140g fats
120g carbs

2,800 calories

I don't know what the macro's are for the crocodile+white rice, so I'll just assume it was the 30g protein + 60g carbs that should go postworkout normally.
--

Went for some food post workout, had some white rice :( Cheat food I know, but at least it was post workout. It was tasty too! That one meal was the same price as an entire day's worth of food though... too expensive to eat out. Slacked a little on the green tea front, although still had plenty of water.

About carbs, I'm gonna try out brown rice for a time, just for a change.

Good day all round, a little disappointed with the flat bench failure, but whatever, room to improve.

cheers!:up:

Last edited:

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
whoa just read through this journal. It sure is some good ****. Really nice lifts you had there. Hope Im gonna hit em as well :)

Dont worry about the bench failure. Sometimes the strength just isnt there for no apparant reason. Then next week it goes up effortlessly. Best with post workout meals is that you can slip in some not 100% optimal food. I like to sneak in a small bag of pure sugar candy along with a protein shake. :up:

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lifeforce said:
whoa just read through this journal. It sure is some good ****. Really nice lifts you had there. Hope Im gonna hit em as well
Hey thanks, you should hit em soon at the rate you're going!

-----------
Thursday, August 14, 2008

1. Weighted Sit-ups
2. Hanging Knee Raises
3. Morning Cardio
4. Evening Cardio
---
---
1. Weighted Sit-ups 2x10
10x3.75kg
10x5kg
--
2. Hanging Knee Raises 2x10
10x1kg
10x2kg
--
3. Morning Cardio
Elliptical, 60 Minutes, 10.5km, 650 calories
--
4. Afternoon Cardio
Treadmill, 40 minutes, 5.0km/h, 5.0 incline.

Accidentally did the workout BEFORE morning cardio, might explain the lack of energy for knee raises. The knee raises were tough... Progress with them will be slow, but as long as I add a tiny amount each week, I'm happy. Situps are going well, I could have done more weight, but whatever.

---
---

Diet:
Thursday, Low Cal

workout + cardio
breakfast: 9 eggs
meal 2: steak + veggies
meal 3: chicken + veggies
cardio
meal 4: WPI shake
meal 5: mince + veggies
meal 6: tbsp of OO + tbsp of cottage cheese
supps: 2xmulti, 15g fish oil, vit. E.

240g protein
140g fats
0g carbs

2,220 calories
---
---
Didn't have any hidden carbs today(steak sauce, marinara sauce, etc). I think it's reasonable that I allow myself some of those things on High Cal days, but ill be strict on low cal days. Slacked on the green tea today, I'm gonna start making a big jug of it in the morning once I find a decent container to put it in.

Tomorrow is Carb Day! :cheer:

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Friday, August 15, 2008

1. Cardio
2. Deadlifts
3. Rows
4. Hyperextensions
5. Pull-ups
6. Chin-ups
7. Bicep curls
8. Shrugs
---
---
1. Morning Cardio
Elliptical, 30 minutes, 320 calories

1. Deadlifts 2x8
12xbar
6x30kg
3x40kg
1x50kg
1x70kg
8x80kg
8x80kg

End of the 2nd workset felt heavy and I would have only been able to manage 2 or 3 more reps safely. Back is still fairly weak, but definitely getting stronger.
--
2. Rows 2x8
12xbar
3x30kg
1x40kg
8x45kg
8x45kg

Again, relatively tough, felt stable though.
--
3. Hyperextensions 2x12
12xbw
12x5kg

Gonna keep increasing this, perhaps switch it up with goodmornings when I'm stronger.
--
4a. Widegrip pullups
8xbodyweight - 15kg
4b. Hammergrip pullups
8xbodyweight - 15kg
4c. Closegrip pullups
7xbodyweight - 15kg (f)

Weak lol. The simultaneous increase in bodyweight and decrease in strength would account for this. Eager to get back to where I was last year with these. I'd estimate 4-6 weeks away from clean unassisted pullups for reps, and 8-12 away from solid weighted unassisted. We'll see though.
--
5. Chinups 1x8
7xbodyweight - 15kg (f)

No gas in the tank for these after pullups.
--
6. DB Bicep curls 2x10
10x7.5kg
10x7.5kg

Starting small here. I think when I peaked in June last year I was hefting 22.5kg DBs, might have lowered to 20kgs though. Still a fair way to go :) Going to alternate with BB every 4 weeks.
--
7. Shrugs 2x10
10x15kg
10x15kg

Last year was moving around 36kgs on shrugs, will progress fairly quickly on these.
--

Fair workout, definitely challenging, first time doing bicep curls in ages. To tell the truth, its not even a movement I like doing, rather be doing chinups. Will progress on most of these lifts at a fast rate, or hope to.
---
---
Diet:
Friday, CARB DAY!!!

-cardio
-breakfast - 9 eggs + kidney beans + veggies + green tea
-meal 2 - grilled chicken wrap + fries + cola @ Nando's + WPI shake
-workout
-meal 3 - WPI shake + whopper + large fries + large cola @ Burger King(they call it Hungry Jacks over here).
-tennis
-piece of pizza
-meal 4 - chicken + veggies

165g Protein
60g fats
360g+ carbs

Well I enjoyed the cheat meals! I think I overdid it with the coke, unnecessary sugars. I'll cut back on the drinks and aim for more burgers next friday. I'll also cut out the pizza too and add something different. The cheese + gluten bread doesn't do well with me.

Fun day. Managed to get out and play some tennis too which was good.

:up:

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good job man. Ye go for good mornings whenever you feel ready for it. IMO they transfer strength to deadlifts so mucb more than hyperextensions do. The use of the back is very close to how the back moves on a SLDL. Besides it strengthens glutes and hamstrings as well which hyperextensions doesnt hit as hard.

Gotta say you're strong on the pull-ups no matter if you say you're weak. Doubt I could even make 8 good reps without weights and you're adding 15.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Saturday, August 16, 2008

Diet:
Saturday, Baseline

- .5kg diced steak
- 3tbsp Cottage cheese
- 9 eggs
- .25kg ground beef
- 1 chicken breast
- veggies
- 15g fish oil, 2xmulti, 1 vit.E
- 2 cookies :D

Protein 265g (+55)(had 2xSteak)
Fats 190g fats (+30)
Carbs 50g :( from the 2 cookies

Calories 2,970 (+690)

Supposed to only be 2,300 calories.. The 2xsteak + cookies added a lot to the total...

I had a huge mental lapse with the cookies!

Other than that, a good day. Plenty of water as usual, etc.

Last edited:

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just once. The week before last it was 3x per week, but that was just to build a little conditioning and get the muscles ready for lifting heavy again.

Why do you ask?

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sunday, August 17, 2008

1. Cardio

---
---
1. Cardio
Cycling, 2 hours

Went cycling with a friend for 2 hours all around the area I live in. Pretty hilly and we went at a steady pace. Thought I should get some form of exercise in on the weekend.

Next weekend I'm going to add a HIIT session on Saturday, sprints/sled/etc.. I might balance it by cutting out a cardio session during the week if the workload is too much.
---
---
Diet:
Sunday, Baseline

breakfast - 2 eggs, ham, small serving of veggies, 1 strawberry, 1 kiwi
cycling
meal 2 - 9 eggs + veggies
meal 3 - 1 chicken breast + veggies
meal 4 - .25kg steak + veggies
meal 5 - .25kg mince + veggies

Protein 230g
Fats 175g
Carbs 15g (the fruit at breakfast)

Calories 2,550 (+270)

If I didn't have the breakfast, it would have been on target. I was at my buddy's house for breakfast and his mom had it all layed out. I'm not going to be so anal as to refuse a meal made for me. The kiwi was quite delicious too ;) I'm starting to get in that familiar groove where even otherwise ordinary fruits and foods start tasting sweet again. At least it wasn't cookies like yesterday :p
--

On a different note, I searched around for a good butcher shop to get my meats from, to make sure they're grass fed/etc.. How important is the quality of meats and eggs I buy? I'm not too concerned about the veggies but if I'm consuming large quantities of meat/eggs I heard awhile ago that I should choose only the organic ones.

Also, does anybody have opinions on Kangaroo meat? They sell that at my new butcher shop and was thinking of adding it into the weekly meat rotation.

Another thing... I'm going to try to add some fatty fish to my diet. It's much cheaper here than it was in Canada, so I might try to work in two or three servings a week of it.

That's all for today.