Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Quik's Workout Log

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My goals: (by January 1st, 2008)

Bench 200lbs(+50 lbs at least), hopefully 225 lbs

Deadlift 350lbs(+35 lbs), hopefully 405 lbs

Squat 350lbs(+35 lbs), hopefully 405 lbs
Was just reading stuff I wrote many months back, laughed at a few of my goals :) They would have been attainable had I not let myself sink into a sedentary lifestyle in this new house, that lifestyle + pushing too hard is probably what lead to the injuries.

Nevertheless I have attained one of those goals :) Wrote a couple posts up that I hit that 1x225 on bench which is a 75lbs increase since the summer. I believe I have EFFORT to thank for that strength gain.

Here are some goals I'm setting now:

By April 1, 2008:

Bench - realistic: 245x3(+20lbs) hopeful: 250x5x2

Squat - realistic: 275x5x2(+50lbs) hopeful: 315x5x2

Deadlift - realistic: 275x5x2(+50lbs) hopeful: 315x5x2

--

Starting monday, january 14 2008

:D

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hmmm, I didn't know you used a belt.

I'd be very impressed if you hit the bench goal.

I'm guessing the squat and dead are conservative because of the injury?

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah I used a belt whenever I maxed on anything, all the warmups or drop sets were raw though. Mainly out of safety, I figured that the only reason you wouldn't wear a belt is if one was competing, which i dont intend to do. No chalk, wraps or suits though!

I didn't fully appreciate the added strength you get from not wearing a belt.

And yeah, I'm taking into account going a tad slower on deads and squats. It's a week by week thing for now, depending on how I feel, thats how hard I'll push myself.

The bench goal might get harder b/c I'm starting to cut calories slightly, focusing on slow fat loss.

However, one must aim high :)

How are your goals going? You seem to be slowing down lately!

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Pffffff I've hit a dead end, need to look down a new alleyway to get things moving again. I seem to have regressed in the last few months which sucks.

Not to mention December being a write off on a count of the drink and festivities.

And what the bloody hell is wrong with chalk? Chalk is still raw as far as I am aware/concerned...

Once I hit 2/3/4 for one rep or reps I'm going to be shifting the focus away to other things for a while anyway I reckon.

Quagmire

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was just about convinced after reading that article 9 months ago and then Alex told me no, for the reasons Quik says above.

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quagmire911 said:
I was just about convinced after reading that article 9 months ago and then Alex told me no, for the reasons Quik says above.
Alex told me "not at this stage" But my DL has gone up since then. I don't use it for squats yet, because they are weak.
Especially on rack deads I think I need one because I'm now lifting over 200kgs.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wolf116 said:
Alex told me "not at this stage" But my DL has gone up since then. I don't use it for squats yet, because they are weak.
Especially on rack deads I think I need one because I'm now lifting over 200kgs.
you've come far wolf and fast. I remeber when you first came on H&F all confused in the dark then got showed alittle bit of light and just took off. Props man.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Monday, January 14, 2008

1. Squat 2x5

12xbar
6x95
3x135
1x185
5x225
5x225

I know I worked up rather quickly, but I was doing dynamic stretches between each set, making sure my back was loose. Felt good to hit my goal without bad pain for once. I even got complimented on my form by a PT :)

2. Squat 1x15

15x185

I was going to go to 20, but since it's my first week back I decided to stop there.

3. Stiff-leg Deads 2x10

5x95
3x95

The weight was too high, and by then my lower back felt fried. I was losing stability in my lower back, so I cut each set short just incase.

4. Leg Extensions 2x8

8x110
8x115

5. Calf Raises 2x10

10x90
10x90

--
Cardio:

Elliptical, 30 minutes, interval, 323 cals
--

Good workout. I would have done sprints instead of elliptical but I still have some pain in my shins from sprints on saturday, shin splints, probably from lack of use in recent months.

My lower back still needs some conditioning, nevertheless, solid workout.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Friday, January 18, 2008

A. Deadlift 2x5

12xbar
8x95
4x135
2x185
1x205
5x235
5x235

B. Chin-up 2x8

8xbw
5xbw (f)

C. Barbell Curl 2x10

10x68
10x68

D. Upright Rows 2x12

12x45
12x45

--

First time doing upright rows. It's a fun movement, I'll be able to add weight fast there. Barbell curls meh, I don't care how fast they go back up. In 8 weeks I'd like to be able to hit 2x10x90.

Deadlifts were good, was focusing on an explosive leg drive, and following through quickly. My hands are starting to callus again, which is nice :) I forsee regaining 2x5x315 in a few months.

Chinups were okay, I'm not expecting much here right now, since I've gained some lbs in the past months. In 8 weeks I'm hoping to hit 2x8xbw+25.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Despite starting to cut back calories a bit since the new year, I've gone from 179-180 to 185-187.

None of that jump has been bodyfat, so says the mirror, however I doubt much of it is muscle.

Probably since starting to hit the weights again, the muscle cells are taking in and holding more fluid.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm 5'9 I believe, I'd like to think 5'10-5'11, but probably not.

Monday, January 21, 2008

A. Squats 2x5

12xbar
6x95
3x135
1x185
1x205
5x225
5x225

Wanted to consolidate last week, and make sure my back was solid. Felt good.

B. Squats 1x20

18x185

Building back up there slowly :) Next week I'll hit 20 reps at 185, then see how I feel about increasing weight.

C. Stiff-leg Deads 2x10

10x95
10x95

Muuuuch better, back isn't sore doing these anymore!

D. Leg Extensions 2x8

8x115
8x115

E. Calf Raises 2x10

10x100
10x100

-

Did some hip flexor work, dumbbell lunges with 40lbs, to loosen them up.

-

Cardio:

eliptical, 30 minutes, interval, 330cals

Heart Break Kid

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nice job Quik,
Good luck with the 315 deads by April ! Do you find calf raises effective? I always thought squats/deads/leg extension covered it but I might be mistaken as I just assumed together they would work the whole lower body. Let me know, thanks !

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Very busy schedule this week so haven't been able to do chest day(like 16 hours of work per day :(), hopefully I'll be able to hit back tomorrow...

until friday...

edit: calf raises are a big 'meh'. I'm sure they're helping keep the weight on my heels in squats, but other than that i just do them to go through the motions.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quiksilver said:
Very busy schedule this week so haven't been able to do chest day(like 16 hours of work per day :(), hopefully I'll be able to hit back tomorrow...

until friday...

edit: calf raises are a big 'meh'. I'm sure they're helping keep the weight on my heels in squats, but other than that i just do them to go through the motions.
Weight shouldn't be on the heal when you squat :p

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yes it should. perhaps not entirely on the heel, it should be balanced of course, but keeping weight mostly on the heel makes sure you don't lean forward, or let your knees stray forward too.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just read a little about him... He probably has his reasons for saying that, but:

stronglifts.com said:
* Chest Up. Keeping your chest up makes lower back rounding impossible & tightening of your upper-back easier.
* Forward Look. Look down & your back will bend. Look at the ceiling & your neck will hurt. Look forward.
* Bar Position. Put the bar low, on the muscles of your back shoulders. Below the bone at the top of your shoulder-blades.
* Grip Width. Narrow grip makes it easier to tighten your upper-back. Do lots of shoulder dislocations if this position feels uncomfortable.
* Thumbless Grip. Put your thumbs on top of the bar, next to your fingers. You’ll be able to keep your wrists inline with your forearms.
* Straight Wrists. Your back supports the weight, not your hands. Keep your wrists inline with your forearm, never bend them.
* Tight Upper-back. Bring your shoulder-blades together. Tightening the upper-back gives the bar a solid base to rest on.
* Elbows Back. Don’t let them come forward during the Squat. Pushing your elbows back prevents elbows injuries.
* Foot Stance. A narrow stance doesn’t work for the low bar Squat. Heels should be shoulder-width apart.
* Toes Out. Point your toes out at about 30 degrees. Your toes must always follow your knees.
* Weight on The Heels. Curl your toes up if needed. Never get on your toes. Push from the heels.
and then...

Common Squat Problems. If you have someone to help you improve your Squat technique, great. Otherwise tape yourself and use the following tips or Starting Strength to improve your Squat technique.

* Lower Back Rounds. Keep your chest up & do the Squat Stretch. Read why your lower back rounds during Squats & how to fix it.
* Leaning Forward. Happens when your hips go up faster than your shoulders. Read how to avoid leaning forward on Squats.
* Bent Wrists. Will cause wrist pain once the bar gets heavy. Support the weight with your back muscles, not with your wrists.
* Knees In. You have weak and/or tight hip muscles. Do the Squat Stretch & actively push your knees out on every rep.
* Knees Forward. Move from the hips: hips back when Squatting down, hips up – not forward – when Squatting up.
* Heels Off The Floor. Puts stress on your knees & impairs stability. Curl your toes up and push from the heels.
I'm no expert, but it makes sense to me.