Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Quik's Workout Log

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wow, somebody's on the ball! Yes, its been 3 weeks to the day, almost to the hour.

I'm getting back in the gym tonight, gonna do some light stuff. Been hitting cardio almost every morning for the 3 weeks so my conditioning is a tad better.

Diet has been decent as well, not been eating as much, for obvious reasons, but still getting what i need. Fish oil is a mainstay now too(10g/day).

My back's felt fine, figured out an easy way to do decompressions. I felt a twinge last week but that could have just been from how i slept. The easy way to do decompressions is this:

Sit in a sturdy chair with armrests. now, hoist yourself up like you would doing hammer grip dips by pushing down on the armrests. so your ass is up in the air. now relax your whole body, except for your arms of course.

i find im able to hold it a lot longer, and it has the same effect as conventional dips.

--

as for the squats, I had a wider than normal stance(shoulder width + width of shoe on either side). Doing it like that, yes i went down as far as i could. mabye could have REALLY got down another 2 inches or so, but that takes some focus. the DL 315x3 was bogus IMO. I just got back from a round of golf(walking), so my back was pretty much spent. went into the gym and couldn't really do the deed. my grip kept slipping to, so... i would have hit 315x5x2 on DLs the week after, but a few days before that workout i had surgery and a fractured jaw that pretty much nailed the coffin shut on that cycle.

--

can't wait to get back under the bar. gonna hit up some light bench, squat, and deadlift tonight, tomorrow, and friday just to get the muscles used to the motions again, then start back on schedule on monday.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quiksilver said:
wow, somebody's on the ball! Yes, its been 3 weeks to the day, almost to the hour.

I'm getting back in the gym tonight, gonna do some light stuff. Been hitting cardio almost every morning for the 3 weeks so my conditioning is a tad better.

Diet has been decent as well, not been eating as much, for obvious reasons, but still getting what i need. Fish oil is a mainstay now too(10g/day).

My back's felt fine, figured out an easy way to do decompressions. I felt a twinge last week but that could have just been from how i slept. The easy way to do decompressions is this:

Sit in a sturdy chair with armrests. now, hoist yourself up like you would doing hammer grip dips by pushing down on the armrests. so your ass is up in the air. now relax your whole body, except for your arms of course.

i find im able to hold it a lot longer, and it has the same effect as conventional dips.

--

as for the squats, I had a wider than normal stance(shoulder width + width of shoe on either side). Doing it like that, yes i went down as far as i could. mabye could have REALLY got down another 2 inches or so, but that takes some focus. the DL 315x3 was bogus IMO. I just got back from a round of golf(walking), so my back was pretty much spent. went into the gym and couldn't really do the deed. my grip kept slipping to, so... i would have hit 315x5x2 on DLs the week after, but a few days before that workout i had surgery and a fractured jaw that pretty much nailed the coffin shut on that cycle.

--

can't wait to get back under the bar. gonna hit up some light bench, squat, and deadlift tonight, tomorrow, and friday just to get the muscles used to the motions again, then start back on schedule on monday.

do this for 2 weeks then after that i'll update your routine to keep your back in mind. last thing you want is to aggrevate it again or make it worse.

Mon
Squat-2x10 (light weight)
Goodmorning- 2sets of 15-40reps (just use the bar)
Hanging Leg Raises- 3x10

Wed
Flat Barbell Bench- 2x6
Incline Dumbbell Bench- 3x8
Lateral raise- 3x10

Friday
Hanging Leg Raises- 3x10

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
perfect, thanks dude.

in a couple weeks my back should be close to 100% again, mabye even better than before with all the decompressions and stretching ive been hitting.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Alright, just finished monday legs.

Put up 2x10 at 185.

To put it simple, I feel weak :)

It's going to take a pretty big effort on my part, but these next 8 weeks I'm going to do everything as best I can. Something holding me back lately has been laziness, so I'm going to get on top of that.

feels good to be back at it, though i really felt weak today.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quik, good to see you at it again. And remember, first weeks back you are weaker. Give your cns time to fire up.

Please please tell me you got the pms.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
makes sure to do those goodmornings with the high reps, those will help your back with healing.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah I was doing them at 30 reps. I won't lie, it was harder than I thought it would be. Getting stronger though, and I have a lot more confidence in my back now that I've completed a couple workouts and haven't felt anything odd back there.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Alright, I've completed two weeks of:

Mon
Hanging Leg Raises- 3x10

Wed
Flat Barbell Bench- 2x6
Incline Dumbbell Bench- 3x8
Lateral raise- 3x10

Friday
Hanging Leg Raises- 3x10
My chest feels fine, back feels a little tight but nothing was painful and i didn't get any odd sensations. I believe I should focus on leg strength right now. It might be the reason why more load was put on my back when i strained it, and my bench numbers are creeping up on my squat numbers which isn't acceptable.

My conditioning is pretty good now, I've been hitting 9 cardio sessions per week(2 intense, 7 light), and my legs do feel stronger than before.

What now, Rob?

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quiksilver said:
Alright, I've completed two weeks of:

My chest feels fine, back feels a little tight but nothing was painful and i didn't get any odd sensations. I believe I should focus on leg strength right now. It might be the reason why more load was put on my back when i strained it, and my bench numbers are creeping up on my squat numbers which isn't acceptable.

My conditioning is pretty good now, I've been hitting 9 cardio sessions per week(2 intense, 7 light), and my legs do feel stronger than before.

What now, Rob?
Check your email tomorrow

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Okay, I'm jumping into that today.

A question though... Since I now know that eating carbs + saturated fats is generally not a good thing for fat control, would it be a smart idea to eat carbs roughly half an hour after eating the main meal? Like, right now all my meals have atleast some sat. fat content, so should I wait for a little while after each, to eat carbs?

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wednesday, December 12, 2007

A. Pulley Abs 3x10
set1: 10x60
set2: 10x75
set3: 10x90
B. DB Bench 3x3
set1: 3x55
set2: 3x55
set3: 3x55
C. Incline BB Bench 2x8
set1: 8x147
set2: 7x147 (f)
D. Standing Military Press 3x6
set1: 6x75
set2: 6x75
set3: 6x75
----
good workout, nothing special... which is a good thing since coming off that back tweak. I would have hit the 2nd 8x147 but I lost concentration when some **** decided to grab a plate off the power rack i was using at the time.
----
Bought myself a 6lb tub of whey the other day, so I'm going to work that into my diet as a pre-morning cardio supp and a pre/post workout supp.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Monday, December 17, 2007

I missed posting a workout on friday, though I did do it. I'll put it up when I find the card i scribbled on.

This workout went well, I'm feeling some good focus on squats now, that I haven't felt in awhile.

Squats:

set1: 10x192
set2: 10x192
extra:D: 1x245 (wanted to see how much I had left in the tank, and felt strong on the 192s.

Good mornings:

set1: 25x55
set2: 25x55
set3: 18x55

Under normal circumstances I would have pushed for the last 7 reps of 3rd set, but I felt I was at the point where any rep could aggravate the injury. Form was slipping and it didn't feel worth it to push through.

Lat pulldowns:

set2: 6x90
set3: 6x105
set4: 6x120

120 is getting close to my max for 6-10 reps, atleast after the 3 other sets it is. Form starts to slip and I feel it more in my arms and elbows than back.

--

Fun squat workout, I really enjoy high rep squat sets, as insane as that sounds :)

I can't believe I did a 20x245 back in june. Thinking about that really gets me motivated, I should be way past that now, but... Well, time to make a shake.

cheers

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You'll be back up there soon enough.

When do you reckon you'll be able to go all out again?

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd give it 4 weeks. Less if I had my way, but I'm trying robs(effort) way for awhile.

The cardio is really helping.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quiksilver said:
Monday, December 17, 2007

I missed posting a workout on friday, though I did do it. I'll put it up when I find the card i scribbled on.

This workout went well, I'm feeling some good focus on squats now, that I haven't felt in awhile.

Squats:

set1: 10x192
set2: 10x192
extra:D: 1x245 (wanted to see how much I had left in the tank, and felt strong on the 192s. :cuss: :nono: :nono: :mad: theres a reason your doing higher reps now

Good mornings:

set1: 25x55
set2: 25x55
set3: 18x55

Under normal circumstances I would have pushed for the last 7 reps of 3rd set, but I felt I was at the point where any rep could aggravate the injury. Form was slipping and it didn't feel worth it to push through. use just the bar next time and see how that goes, if thats causing trouble then do them with no bar or weight at all

Lat pulldowns:

set2: 6x90
set3: 6x105
set4: 6x120

120 is getting close to my max for 6-10 reps, atleast after the 3 other sets it is. Form starts to slip and I feel it more in my arms and elbows than back.

--

Fun squat workout, I really enjoy high rep squat sets, as insane as that sounds :)

I can't believe I did a 20x245 back in june. Thinking about that really gets me motivated, I should be way past that now, you'll be back just keep your focus on diet and doing the workouts as listed, no extra heavy sets,the last thing you want to do is try out a heavier set and hurt your back again, then its recovery all over again but... Well, time to make a shake. tasty

cheers
bold

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quiksilver said:
I'd give it 4 weeks. Less if I had my way, but I'm trying robs(effort) way for awhile.

The cardio is really helping.
you'll thank me for this later. If you look at it in a time span of the next 5 years, taking another 4 weeks (maybe even another 4-8 after this to go at a mod intensity) and not going full force but instead just building back up slow, stretching good, getting good nutrition, rest, and building gpp, it won't seemed like anything compared to going back hard too soon and ****ing your back up for real and having to lay off for 2-12 months and having to go through a long 2-8month boring , before returning full force.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been going light, not really following a set program for the last couple weeks.

The first bench session back, I think I pushed it too hard because I felt that tweak in my lower left back again(it was not a pinched disc however, it was a muscular thing). Took the rest of that week off, then started back with only cardio last week.

I focused the whole week on biking, on a really high resistance for 10-15 minute periods. Was doing this because I wasn't happy at all with the recovery time for squats. My legs were really sore for three days after each session, and last year I barely felt them even one day after sessions of much higher weights than I'm lifting now. I guess it's all relative though...

This coming week I'm started back on the old routine I was doing, the 3 day split in the where to start thread. Just something simple that my muscles remember and are used to.

I'm going to do this for a couple months until Ive got my confidence back in the gym, and then give EFFORTs method another shot. I believe its a better method than I'm doing now for strength building, but psychologically right now I have to do something I have experience with. Hope you understand rob :)

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thursday, January 10, 2008

Was just messing around in the gym with freeweights and barbells today.

It was fun, didn't follow any rep/set scheme, but made sure I never went over 12 reps.

I had an awesome bench session:

12xbar
6x95
3x115
1x135
1x185
1x225lbs!

Ill admit right now that the 225 wasn't a strict rep(however it was raw, no chalk, no gloves, no wrist bands, no nothing). I didn't touch the bar to my chest, stopped about 2 inches above, and coming up took about 3 seconds and all the energy I had(ears popped too, could have had better breathing form I suppose). But I'll take whatever I can get at this point. Felt awesome after that!

Did some 5x5 Dips too, managed a last set of bw + 20lbs

Did some light deadlifts, some stiff leg deads, and generally just had a good time with no pressure or expectations on myself

Trying to get some of that old spark back into each session :)

Last edited:

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
quik -- you reminded me a few months back to get back into it slow after a long layoff, and that was w/o an injury. i'm sure you can handle your own advice :D

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Saturday, January 12, 2008

Another day of fun with the weights.

Did some upper body work with a focus on my back.

Did a 3 minute warmup on the elliptical, did some back hyperextensions as a direct warmup for the muscles(I found a few weeks ago they really helped loosen up the area that I injured).

Did some regular deadlifts then:

12xbar
6x95
4x135
2x185
1x205
5x225
5x225

Felt good, was a little cautious on the work sets, making sure everything felt okay back there, very conscious of form.

All went well.

After that I did some pull ups, chinups, pulldowns, BORs, and shrugs.

Did those all at fairly light weight for 8-12 reps, nothing that I could reach failure on.

And, finally to top the day off, I did some HIIT in the form of sprints in the gymnasium.

It was roughly half of what I was doing at this time last year, as far as duration and intensity. By the end, my vision was going white and I was completely winded!

Then I took the 10 minute walk home, still huffing and puffing.

I'm feeling pretty good about this now... Another week or two and my numbers will be on the way back up. My lower back is definitely almost recovered.

From now on I'm not wearing a lifting belt, both because since I put on those 20lbs it's had a hard time fitting ;) and because I'd like to develop a strong post. chain that can resist injury better.