Quagmire911 Lifting Journal

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quagmire911 said:
Monday
I tried to eat no carbs and played 9 holes of golf on Saturday and by the end felt like I had the flu. So things like that and when im working (walking for 6-8 hours-bar work) I have carbs.
PS- Song of the week: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZChJus0qbWs
OH no....you've gotten the Swine flu havent you! :D

That has to be one of the strangest music videos I've ever seen. Now I know why you listen to Manson and this guy, your a sick sick man...a sick man with H1N1 :crackup: :crackup:

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quik I eat veggies when I remember to put them on. Usually 1-2 times a day, I should step it up.

Stallion, I don't really watch the video, more the song I'm interested in. Its from one of the scenes in fight club, gets me going.

On another note, breakfast was:

A burger, around 150-175g
Some turkey, maybe 50-100g
Two tablespoons of olive oil
Diluting juice
A litte BBQ sauce

Also had the supps I listed yesterday minus the magnesium and plus green tea. I forgot to put the veggies on- silly me. I'll maybe have a banana or something.

This meal produced no bloating and I feel pretty good 30 minutes or so later. So the egg/mayonaise mix was a big problem. I'll look into overcoming it, Poliquin has articles on it.

The HCL didn't arrive, should be tommorow I guess. Probably at the gym tommorow with deads, till then...

Quagmire

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wednesday

Felt back to normal in the gym today, the deload was required. Had a good session. Here it is:

Sumo deadlifts 120x3 140x3 165kgx3 PR (363lbs)- Good stuff. Grip is struggling with the weight. I don't know if its the actual weight or the bar or both, I'll have to see when I use the other gym again- although that bar might be just as bad. Hands were definitely slipping though with sweat, even with plenty of talc. No knurling is balls. Time to start getting some videos again now that I'm in PR territory. Also, I did 140kgx1 after this and held it for as long as possible for grip.

Good mornings 65kgx10x10- Using hardly any knee bend and same stance as deadlift, so as to hit the hammies and hips hard.

Overhead press 65kgx3x3- Could have got more on the secoond set, although the plates slipped a little. Will move the weight up next week.

Double leg raise- x5x5

Then finished with 15:30 minutes on the treadmill at 7.1mph. Had to really dig deep to get this done. It was harder than the other day, more than likely because it was lower day today.

And that was all. The workout seemed easier to complete today, whether because of the cardio on Monday, or the fact that I only did 3 reps on the deadlift- maybe both. The numbers are creeping up slowly which I guess isn't bad considering I'm not eating a lot to take off the fat and getting drunk twice a week.

The waist was down from 37-37.5" to 36.5" this morning and the scale is down a bit (around 184lbs this morning) so the fat seems to be coming off.

Well thats all for this week, until next time...:up:

Quagmire

PS- Damn HCL still isn't here.

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know the scene very well Quagmire haha...how's the swine? Must not be bad enough for you cause you nailed an awesome PR

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thank you Stallion.

Monday

I am confused as to why I PR'ed today. Not complaining though...Here it is:

Bench 60x5 72.5x5- These just felt shi**y. The build up sets always do.

87.5kgx7 PR (193lbs)- For some reason I just kept getting more reps. 5 was hard, 6 pretty difficult. I wasn't even being spotted so this was probably pretty stupid. Oh well. Good stuff.

70kgx10- Down set

Chinupsx6x6-Hard. I don't really see any improvement on chins unless I do a lot of sets multiple times a week with low reps. Greasing the groove. Not sure of how to fit this in to a routine with deads etc on the go. I'm going to give it a try though, this is shi*.

Treadmill - 16 minutes at 7.2mph- Definite improvement. The good thing about the treadmill is it MAKES you work. Your legs have to keep the pace or you fall off.

Left it at that. Don't fuc* with what is working right? So last weeks running and drinking seems to have had little effect on the weights which is great. If anything, the increased endurance is a big plus. It is only two 15 minute sessions, which isn't huge. I intend to bring it up to 20 minutes and keep increasing the speed. I really want to add in another day, not neccasarily running, but as I say the treadmill makes you work.

Not a lot to comment on. Weight the other day was 187 but that was after a **** ton of carbs. Not sure what it is at now. Waist it still lower than it was, but was a little higher after the carbs. I'll how the fat loss picture is in 1-2 weeks and see if I need to be a litte stricter with some stuff.

That is all for now, until Wednesday...:up:

Quagmire

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wednesday

Alright training today, but with some problems. Here it is:

Deadlifts 155kgx6 (341lbs)- This was a long drawn out set and equals my current PR. I'd like to think that under the same circumstances as the last time with the old bar I used and plates I would have PR'ed. I have to use werid block plates for this, I think the bar is on its last legs, and I've already mentioned that there is no knurling. I'm not sure if my grip can't handle the weight or not, it may very well be that it is just slipping. I tried using straps but it was actually worse with them on, they just slid round the bar (fuc*ing up the set even more). I've not done direct grip work in a while so I will add it in, but I really don't think that is what the problem is- although I could be wrong. Just annoying that the straps don't help at all. I'll figure something out. I had people complaining today about the noise from the deads and turning down my music, god damn I need a home gym. If I could train with some like minded people I'm sure I'd be further on than I am. Also, I'm in trainers and on a carpet which isn't great stability wise. Switching to conventional maybe the answer for the moment.

Good mornings 67.5kgx12x12- Same again. Semi-sumo stance (same as deads) with little knee bend to hit the hammies and hips.

Overhead press 67.5kgx3x3 (149lbs)- This may actually be a volume PR, I think I've done this weight for 3, might be 4. I intend to get 70x3 next week anyway which will be PR. I could have done more on the first set.

Double leg raisex6x6- Meh.

Treadmill 18 minutes 6.5mph- Much better. Taking the speed down a bit seemed to help a lot. I could have kept going here quite easily, not nearly as difficult as last week. Good stuff.

Well that was it. Haven't checked weight or waist since last week so I have nothing to report there yet. I feel leaner if that means anything, but it could just be the extra fitness and energy which is great anyway. Not much else to report, until next time...:up:

Quagmire

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Monday

Good session today, even though I felt like balls going in (drank a reasonable amount last night). Today was the 5/3/1 day and I was determined to get a weight PR on bench. Here it is:

Bench 60x5 75x3 85x1 95x1 105kgx1 PR (231lbs)- Fuc*ing excellent. Nothing like setting a weight PR. Its been a long time too. I nailed the first rep, I hit the groove perfectly. I actually tried a second but got stuck about 6" off for a few seconds and had to rack it on the lower hooks. I didn't have a spotter which is a bit dodgy, but I wanted the damn PR- it worked alright putting it in the hooks anyway. I wasn't far off a double which is great. This made my day. Will definitely bring a camera the next time.

80kgx8-Downset

Kroc rows 40kgDB 2x10-Couldn't be bothered with chins. My left actually felt a little stronger here which is strange. I like these.

Treadmill 15 minutes 6.5mph

Well thats all for today. Deads on Wednesday but I don't feel very confident about a PR there. Something isn't working right. My strength seems to be stalling. I'm not happy about the setup with deads which is affecting me. Funny hexagon plates, carpet, grip slipping etc. I'll see what happens.

Anyway that is all for today, until next time...:up:

Quagmire

frenchbeauty

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hehe nothing like a good workout after a hard night of partying.
Surprisingly it doesn't seem to affect my workouts to a certain extent, well I limit my drinking to once/twice a week.
Great work though, post up your diet.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thursday

Well I decided to start some squatting again after 9 months or so. My knee is feeling good most of the time and its at the stage I think squatting with good form would actually have some benefit. This was humbling to say the least- my legs are weak. Here it is:

Squats 70kgx5x5x5- These were done semi-sumo with the same stance as my deadlift. I feel that this is what is basically holding progress back on the deadlift- my lack of leg power/hip power. These were done as deep as I felt comfortable to maintain form which was at least several inches below parallel. I should have brought the camera today. My biggest concern was keeping my back tight and upright and using my legs to drive the weight. In the past I would do a hybrd squat/good morning and this fuc*ed up my knee and just led to stalling. So I am biting the bullet and starting low. I know with the fuc*ed up form I could probably do 100kg+x5 still, but that won't do me any favours. Having said that, I am hoping this will increase rapidly. On another note- my bench is currently higher than my squat- this is just wrong. I could probably do more olympic style with good form with quad emphasis, but thats not the aim. Sad to say, this was hard.

Good mornings 70kgx8- My legs were cooked and just said no to any more.

Overhead press 70kgx3 (154lbs) PR 60kgx6- Pleased with this. Couldn't have tripled 70 again though so I just did a down set. Not to far off bw for a rep.

Rowing 15 minutes 2892m

Feeling ****ty today. Not so much physically as mentally. I got completley bombed on Tuesday night- which is why I wasn't in yesterday. I can't be having as much as I did and be doing well in the gym. I must sound like a broken record.

I'm not sure of how I'm going to incorporate deads/squats into the routine. I may do mon/thur and do them on each day with bench/oh press on seperate days like I have been doing. So bench/squat dead/oh press. My legs feel funny in places and a bit like jelly after the squats- I suppose that is to be expected after 9 months and using correct form.

At least upper body strength is trickling up. Anyway that's all for today, until next time...:up:

Quagmire

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You and Johnny are killing me with the injuries. But great job with the OH press. VERY NICE! You can officially lift a slightly fat woman over your head now.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I-tallionStallion said:
You and Johnny are killing me with the injuries. But great job with the OH press. VERY NICE! You can officially lift a slightly fat woman over your head now.
Heh thanks.

Hopefully thats me pretty much injury free. Need to avoid re-injury.

Need to get my waist down a bit more then I think its time to do some eating.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nice, a bodyweight overhead press is pretty strong. You'll probably be there soon especially if you drop some fat.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thank you Kerpal.

The pain im my legs is awful. In a good way of course :D

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Monday

Strength was alright today but I felt sluggish, mentally I feel off. From what I gather if I drink a lot during a week then my strength doesn't really suffer, but my endurance seems greatly affected. After a couple of heavy sets I start losing motivation. Just something I've noticed.

Bench press 90kgx6 PR (198lbs) x5x4- My bench is going up which is good. My lower back started cramping a little bit from arching on the first set, I actually think I may have got 7 if this didn't happen. It seems that whenever I am hitting overhead PR's, I'm hitting bench PR's. I have to say when I'm in the range of 215x5+, which shouldn't be far off, I'll be feeling pretty good about this.

Kroc rows 42.5kgx10x10-After benching I just felt ****ed. This was the weight of the plates. Don't know how much the bar and collars were.

Treadmill 7mph 12 minutes- I seem to have regressed here. This was hard work.

So yeh after 1-2 sets on bench I just wanted to go home. All the alcohol must be ****ing something up (no ****). Endurance is just non-existant. Last week was especially bad for a few reasons. This week will be more moderate. Think I'm going to cut the grass tonight, so that will be more cardio. For some reason my waist is down, but my weight is up. It was 188 the otherday. Maybe water.

Quagmire

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wednesday

Felt pretty funny today having been out last night. Once I got there it went alright. Had some gatorade during the workout, whether that helped, who knows. Here it is:

Overhead press 77.5kgx1 PR (171lbs)- Pretty happy with this. Bw is 185ish. so near bw for a rep. Need to lose 10lbs I reckon to be lean and that would put me closer. Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL0LAHNLOt8

Squats 75kgx5x5x5- Big difference on last week, a lot easier. Could have done more, but im sticking to my plan of putting on 5kg a week. Note that this is me coming back from an knee injury- bad tendonitits. The knee is feeling good now though. I anticpate getting back to 100kgx5 pretty quickly and then I'll really have to concentrate on maintaining form, which was the problem in the past. Form felt great today, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRctInZxaCw

I left at that. I actually felt like I could have done more today, but I had stuff to do. No cardio afterwards as I had done a lot of brisk walking beforehand, probably amounting to about 45 minutes.

Quagmire

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Monday

Wasn't feeling bad today going in. I drank less this week, but still too much. Not that it seemed to matter. Here is today's confusion:

Bench press 92.5kgx7 PR (204lbs) :cool: - Absolutely no idea why this happened but I am not complaining. Less than a month ago 92.5kgx4 was very hard. I was going for 5 today. By the looks of things I may have have managed an 8th- who knows. So this is +3 rep PR, and more weight and reps than last weeks PR. I am confused. I've done a few things differently in the last week or two, these are: Tinkering with form- really focusing on being tight and maximizing arch, subbed chins for DB rows, drank some gay energy electrolyte stuff during the workout, and something else that isn't for this log, (most people would consider it a hinderance). Lets keep it going! Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJlve5wcw6M

92.5kgx5x4- Finishing off.

Kroc rows 42.5kgx12x12- Not including collars and the bar.

Treadmill Incline 15 (highest) 10 minutes 3mph- This was deathly.

And that was all. Upperbody work is going very well. Now that I am squatting again I'm hoping lower body will follow suit. I'm pretty confident I've lost some fat, and it looks like I have probably put on some muscle. My waist is around 36"-36.25" down from 37.25"-37.5" and my weight is only 186lbs which is pretty close to what it was before I focused on losing some fat. I feel leaner and look a little leaner I think. My activity level was a lot higher last week and I plan on keeping this up.

That is all for today, until next time...:up:

Quagmire

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Looks like your ass came off the bench on a few of those...

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
Looks like your ass came off the bench on a few of those...
I think it was pretty much all of them. I can't remember why this is an issue again. And I'm not sure that it is if I'm not competing. I think part of the reason I do it is too stay tight when taking the weight out of the rack, cause it has massive J hooks. It isn't as much of a problem in my other gym with the smaller hooks.