Quagmire911 Lifting Journal

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cardio:

20 minutes walking up and down hills with 40lbs in a backpack.

Fitness wise I faired better than I thought I would, although the 40lbs slowed me down which is inevitable. Better doing this than nothing, and 40-45 minutes is boring as s***.

The one problem was the plates sticking into my back, will have to sort that out.

My weight was 183.4lbs this morning, which is down from 187lbs a few weeks ago. I reckon one or two lines are starting to appear that I haven't seen in a while. So things appear to be going well.

I've switched to eating one carb meal when I wake up, and then having no carbs for the rest of the day. My body/mind likes the carb meal to start the day off. The rest of the day I don't even think about carbs.

JohnnyIrish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Glad to see your back and totally kicking arse. Way to catch up fast! :rockon:

If this cissus heals my tendinitis I'm totally going to give that weighted backpack GPP training a go myself. You and stallion make it sound fun. :D

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
F***

Running for a train last night and must have slipped in the rain funny. My ankle is out again.

I'll be able to bench on Monday, but I don't know what leg drive will be like. Who knows if deadlifts will be an option on Wednesday/Thursday- I doubt it. I'll do some good mornings or something else if I can't.

Re-injury= very bad.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Right, I can walk 90% normally with a little pain. I'm hoping for deads on Wed/Thur but I'll see nearer the time. I did 60kgx1 today with very minimal discomfort.

The Wendler magic continues. Utter insanity. I had more social events than usual this weekend as I had to cancel work on Saturday night (the ankle) so my mate came over. Friday/Saturday I got pissed, and Sunday was a social gathering with some wine/****tails and some other stuff. I didn't drink that much though. I wasn't expecting much today, but - see the first sentence of this paragraph. Anyway here it is:

Bench press 65kgx5 67.5kgx3- Not feeling it. Never do on these ones.

77.5kgx12 (171lbs) PR :D - ??? I was stunned to be honest. I knew I'd beat the scheduled 1 rep, I was hoping for 7-8. Week three and I am PR'ing after a longish break from proper training. Yeaahhhhhh :rockon: Not to mention the drinking. Leg drive seemed mostly unaffected though. Good s***. I'm getting this out of the girl weight zone soon. I'll feel better when its 200+ for reps. I hit 198lbsx5 in August so I'm around there again. When I'm doing this I'm really focusing on keeping the elbows tucked and exploding of the chest, I don't think about the weight. No lift of this week.

Pulldowns 75kgx8x8 65kgx15 - Decided to have a break from chins. I think I can progress better with lower weight higher reps, especially after the bench. And having put on 10-15kg my bw reps are down. So I think this will build it back up more easily.

Incline DB presses 25'sx10x10- Different gym this week so it was on a slightly higher incline. I'd say this was an improvement on last week.

And that was it. Well my first PR on a big three exercise this year which is great. Still getting twinges in the knee occasionally so I'm reluctant to add in squats quite yet. I know exactly what the problem was from old videos and memory- not using the hips and relying on the back which made my form go out of whack.

I'm now starting a new wave. As mentioned previously because of muscle memory I am going to increase my maxes more than the stated recommendations, simply because there has been so much improvment in the last two weeks. I can understand that with the program I could do maybe 5-6 with 95% of my "1RM" weight but 12 seems overly excessive. I already know with the next wave max I am using that I will be able to hit all the scheduled reps and more.

Well that is all for today. Time to eat. Until next time...:up:

Quagmire

frenchbeauty

Don Juan
Reaction score
Haha can't believe it Quag. Pulling PRs after a 2+ months break.
That's awesome I hope numbers keep going up :D

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nice PR Quag....if your having problems with the plates in your back you may need to get a better backpack. Usually one that is good for hiking etc is great. I spent like $70 bucks on mine and it's very comfortable except after awhile it naturally hurts on the shoulders. I used to do it with plates in my back till one day I couldn't stand it.

Hopefully Johnny gets on this :)

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Not been able to do it again on account of the ankle (back packing that is). My brother has a full sized hiking pack though, so that may be an option. Also throwing some jumpers in with the plates to cushion them.

Wednesday

The madness continues. I started a new wave today, and upped my max 15kg on account of muscle memory. For some reason this didn't correct the issue of getting a lot more reps than I was meant too- which is a good thing. I am already PR'ing and it is week 3/4. I woke up this morning and decided I wanted to deadlift, and that my ankle could f*** off. It didn't cause me any problems on the lift though. Drinking has been a lot worse this past week as I mentioned because of more social outings. Wendler's magic has seen to it that this wasn't an issue. Anyway, here it is:

Deadlifts 130kgx3 140kgx3- I was seriously thinking that I was going to be getting the prescribed three on the last set and that would be it. I felt weak and energyless. Wendler had other ideas.

147.5kgx9 (325lbs) PR :D - F*** yes. No bench or dead PR's since August/September and now two in the same week. I really wasn't expecting a PR on deads for at least another few weeks yet. Once I hit 5-6 though I wanted it. My best too date was 145kgx8. This beat the shi* out of me. Note: All deads I've been doing in March/April since I started back have been sumo.

Good mornings 60kgx15 - I was sitting wayyy back and down to really hit the hips. After the deads though, I had to stop there. My left hip adductor was either going to cramp or tear, and it still feels like this when I try to stand up 4 hours later. It's alright though, I stopped in time.

Overhead press 55kgx3 - Nearly didn't get the first. My focus and energy was gone from the deads.

57.5kgx3 60kgx6- Put my head into it and focused on form. My best here is 8. I think If I had pushed it I could have Pr'ed. If I was fresh and it was exercise no.1, I know I could PR.

Left it at that. The deads really killed me. My calves, hips, spinal erectors, and traps are all fried. But it was worth it. I'm thinking to do some abs/grip on Friday.

If anyone isn't seeing progress right now, give 5/3/1 a shot. I remember something Poliquin once wrote: The body adapts fastest to rep ranges. Since you are alternating rep ranges every week for four weeks (if you deload on week 4), you'll keep the body guessing.

Well thats it for today. Post workout was two large homemade beef burgers with bacon and cheese and some coke, them some giant buttons. Yum. Until next time...:up:

Quagmire

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Meal sounded good..mmhhhmmm...nice PR btw haha

Usually the bag is the make it or break it with weighted backpack walking

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
I'm surprised you don't do the OHP first.
If I did the OHP first, it might affect the deadlift in some way, which = NO! :D

I'm thinking to cycle the bench/OHP like I have in the past, whilst doing the other as an accessory on the same day. It has worked well before.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Monday

This week has been a write off as far as diet/drinking. Nothing was affected in the gym though, so thats fine with me. Here it is:

Bench 75kgx3 80kgx3 - My last set was 85kg and to PR I needed 7. I really thought this wasn't going to happen. But I had the number in my head. These sets are heavy enough that I actually have to concentrate a bit on the lift.

85kgx7 PR (187lbs) - Pretty damned pleased with this, but I want more. I'll be happy when its 200+x5 and 250+x1, and then more. With todays numbers I know 200+x5 is in the bag, I just need to do it now. This is around my bw, so for 7 thats alright. I think I made the right decision with the program to increase more than 5/10lbs for the prescribed max because of muscle memory.

Pulldowns 75kgx10 60kgx21- It was sunny, and I wanted to go outside. So I hit the back a bit and left it at that.

Well things are really shaping up. I can't say its because of my determination not to drink and eat every calorie perfectly, that just hasn't happened. I just REALLY want to PR on that last set. I sniff the ammonia and give it everything on that one set.

Well its time to go for a pwo meal. Going to go to the local and get a massive burger and some nice treacle pudding and custard. Yum. Until next time...:up:

Quagmire

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd take credit for 20lbs of muscle, the other 10 is drinking and general laziness, ie fat. I should really be 170-175ish. Size isn't really my goal either, could have been 200+ by now. I'm noticeably bigger though. Thanks anyway.

Wednesday

Something was different today. Either drinking has reared its ugly head, or I'm just feeling the effects of deadlifting every week for high reps- maybe both. Really had to focus to make the last set count. Here it is:

Deadlifts 120x5 130x5 140kgx11 PR (308lbs) - This really sucked. The first two seets felt heavy, and the last was a real slog. I'm thinking to maybe max out next week and then deload, either way after next week I will deload. My grip has been finding it tough the last two weeks. This bar has no knurling where my sumo grip is. The length of the sets is hard work.

One arm OH press 25kgx5 27.5kgishx5x8-I used 25kg worth of plates and then there was the bar and collars, so this is only and estimation. The other gym is more useful as the DB's go up in 2kg increments. Should just have done normal overhead press I suppose. This was hard after the deads.

Well I left it at that. One high rep set of deads to your max really fu*ks you up, its also makes you want to eat a ton- I'm getting really hungry. I've reached that stage now which I thought I would, I slightly surpass my older numbers after the layoff and now comes the hard work. I'm going to have to up my max more again though, I really can't be f***ed with the 11 rep sets on deads.

Well its burger time and then some desert. Might try to do some abs/grip/light posterior work later in the week. Anyway, until next time...:up:

Quagmire

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Tuesday

Been feeling very stressed/impatient since last week, so I decided to deload this week. I think I maybe pushed it a little far, my head feels kind of funny; can be difficult to concentrate. I'll see what happens. This was it today:

Bench 40x5 50x5 60x5- Felt heavy, but my mind wasn't in it at all.

Pulldowns 50x5 55x5 60x5- Alright.

That was it. Was in and out in about 20 minutes or something. Will probably deadlift on Thursday, until then...

Quagmire

ProDJ26

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Havent I taught you anything Quag? This is not how you use steroids!!!

Remember cycle on then off

balance man balance!!!!

:up:

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thursday

More deload again.

Deads 120x3 100x3x3 -Couldn't be bothered. Sluggish.

Ovedhead press 15x5 17.5x5x5- Easy.

Did 5 minutes of HIIT afterwards on the rower. 30s/1minute hard/light.

Thats all for this week, until next time...

Quagmire

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Monday

I've had a pounding headache all day and didn't feel like going in, but I sucked it up and went in. Went alright, here it is:

Bench 70x3 80x3 92.5kgx4 (PR?) (204lbs)- A PR kind of if I remember correctly, but not a proper one. I think I've only done 3 with this weight before, but I've done 90x5 and 95x3, so this is pretty much comparable with those weights. So its a best at this weight, but not really something to shout about. If I had made 5 that would have been a proper PR in my mind. Will do this weight again in 3 weeks and will be looking for 5 then. The last rep was a real grinder, got a lift off and a spot, had I been on my own I would maybe have just done 3.

75kgx8-Downset. Something else to mention, my form didn't feel great today. I feel an imbalance has developed. I've noticed when I grip the bar my pinky is closer to the rings on the right than on the left which I have to correct, but it doesn't feel right even though I know it is, and on the latter reps my right is taking more of the weight as the bar is slanted downwards toward the right side. So I'll have to do some DB work or something to try and realign the two, cause this will probably hold me back.

Pullupsx5x5 Pulldowns 65kgx12- Bw is around 185lbs, or was last Thursday or so.

Skullcrushers 10kgDBx12x10-Again my right side was finding this easier.

Well that was it. I had serious doubts about the 92.5 with bench, the warmup sets felt awful and my form was off as I say. 4 was a good number, although I wanted 5.

Afterwards I did 15 minutes on the treadmill at 7mph. I was interested to see what kind of shape I'd be in for something like this. I faired better than I thought, but the fact that I have to put effort into something like this is pathetic. So I'm going to be doing some treadmill/running work maybe 2-3 times a week. Nothing drastic, only 15-20 minute sessions. This will get me in better shape and help the fat come off at a better pace. I don't think it will cause any problems with the weights, I'm not exactly running a marathon. I'll see how it goes. Really though, my top priority should be improving my fitness and taking the fat off, although strength is still a priority. If this means strength takes a back burner for 6-8 weeks then so be it, as it will benefit lifting in the long run.

Diet has been fairly good the last week. I've been timing the carbs and only eating them during periods of a lot of activity. I tried to eat no carbs and played 9 holes of golf on Saturday and by the end felt like I had the flu. So things like that and when im working (walking for 6-8 hours-bar work) I have carbs. Pwo as well. If its a day where I don't really do anything or only some light cardio then I won't have any that day.

Well thats it for today, until next time...:up:

Quagmire

PS- Song of the week: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZChJus0qbWs

Last edited:

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quagmire911 said:
Monday

I've had a pounding headache all day and didn't feel like going in, but I sucked it up and went in. Went alright, here it is:

Bench 70x3 80x3 92.5kgx4 (PR?) (204lbs)- A PR kind of if I remember correctly, but not a proper one. I think I've only done 3 with this weight before, but I've done 90x5 and 95x3, so this is pretty much comparable with those weights. So its a best at this weight, but not really something to shout about. If I had made 5 that would have been a proper PR in my mind. Will do this weight again in 3 weeks and will be looking for 5 then. The last rep was a real grinder, got a lift off and a spot, had I been on my own I would maybe have just done 3.

75kgx8-Downset. Something else to mention, my form didn't feel great today. I feel an imbalance has developed. I've noticed when I grip the bar my pinky is closer to the rings on the right than on the left which I have to correct, but it doesn't feel right even though I know it is, and on the latter reps my right is taking more of the weight as the bar is slanted downwards toward the right side. So I'll have to do some DB work or something to try and realign the two, cause this will probably hold me back.

Pullupsx5x5 Pulldowns 65kgx12- Bw is around 185lbs, or was last Thursday or so.

Skullcrushers 10kgDBx12x10-Again my right side was finding this easier.

Well that was it. I had serious doubts about the 92.5 with bench, the warmup sets felt awful and my form was off as I say. 4 was a good number, although I wanted 5.

Afterwards I did 15 minutes on the treadmill at 7mph. I was interested to see what kind of shape I'd be in for something like this. I faired better than I thought, but the fact that I have to put effort into something like this is pathetic. So I'm going to be doing some treadmill/running work maybe 2-3 times a week. Nothing drastic, only 15-20 minute sessions. This will get me in better shape and help the fat come off at a better pace. I don't think it will cause any problems with the weights, I'm not exactly running a marathon. I'll see how it goes. Really though, my top priority should be improving my fitness and taking the fat off, although strength is still a priority. If this means strength takes a back burner for 6-8 weeks then so be it, as it will benefit lifting in the long run.

Diet has been fairly good the last week. I've been timing the carbs and only eating them during periods of a lot of activity. I tried to eat no carbs and played 9 holes of golf on Saturday and by the end felt like I had the flu. So things like that and when im working (walking for 6-8 hours-bar work) I have carbs. Pwo as well. If its a day where I don't really do anything or only some light cardio then I won't have any that day.

Well thats it for today, until next time...:up:

Quagmire

PS- Song of the week: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZChJus0qbWs

204 pound bench presses are something to shout about if you're just reaching the point of lifting that much weight. You can be glad about what you did. Congrats, dude. As for the HIIT, I highly recommend it. I had lost approx. 5 pounds of the unwanted fat in about a month's time doing the combined HIIT/strength training workout. (check out the My Monthly Weigh-In thread) I unfortunately gained it back the next month because I caught a cold. :( But I'm right back to the combined workouts again! :) And it does make a difference, my strength has not gone down at all and I feel actually even stronger because I'm pushing myself by alternating between two different exercise types during the same workout. I'll get the excess fat off and return to the weight class that I belong to. :up: You can do it, too.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks man.

On another note:

Last meal of the day consisted off:

4 eggs+two tablespoons of mayonaisse, I also had:
5 fishoils
15mg zinc
600mg magnesium
1garlic
1g vitamin c
Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Some diluting juice.

After this I had horrendous bloating and felt very queasy. I've not eaten eggs since Wednesday, usually I have them for breakfast with toast and get some bloating and no queasyness, but I thought that was the carbs.

So I'm thinking that I've developed an allergy to eggs. I think I can rule out the diluting juice as I take it with other meals and am fine. Im confident it isn't the supps, but I'll take em in the morning minus the magnesium and wait 10-15 minutes before I eat. I'm pretty sure it was the food mix.

Not sure why it was particularly bad today, maybe cause its been 5 days since I ate them. Something to think about anyway, I felt terrible, and still feel pretty ****ty an hour or so later.

So bummer, another thing off the food menu. I'm getting some betaine HCL in tommorow, I'll maybe see if that helps, but I don't think it works like that if its an allergy.

Just thought I'd put that in, pretty important in the grand scheme of things.

Quagmire