Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

push ups and sit ups..

That_Guy49

Don Juan
Reaction score
For example, If i started a little regimen of doing 200 pushups and 200 situps a day...will that improve my upper body any in say a month of doing it?

Le Parisien

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good luck for keeping those 200 REAL pushups EVERYDAY if you've NEVER done anything like that.
:D

Wanna do fun exercise? Learn to BREAK DANCE. Just doing a couple of handstands, backspins and handspins everyday will improve your shape in no time. Although it's pretty hard to get started. Unlike pushups, not everyone can just "naturally" do a handstand...
:eek:

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No it wont... but if you put on a backpack and fill it up with a lot of stuff and keep your pushups around 6-10 and you hold weighs on your chest to keep your situps 8-12 then at least you have some intesnity. Muscle grow because they need to not because we want... you need to give them a reason.

Do four sets of pushups 6-10 with backpack on bacm
Do four sets of sit ups 8-12 with weight on chest
Do some sort of exercise for your back to
And don't do this exercise every day.

My best tip would be to sign up for a gym and do a complete body workout.

Skel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
chin ups and pull ups are great for the upper body including the abs

-.-

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You're insane... 200 push ups and 200 sit ups will not do anything except build endurance.

You may burn some calories which may lead to lower b/f.. You may seem more defined but not any bigger.

There is not point in doing 200 pushups and situps unless your in the military or some kind of endurance sport maybe.

If you wanna learn to be bigger join a gym, lift hard and eat right.

cmr662

Don Juan
Reaction score
agreed, all those pushups and situps are pointless if thats all your doing. if you want a bigger chest, your going to need to hit the gym. if you want abs, your going to need to watch your diet. diet is 50% of getting the body you want. the other 30% is training, the last 20% is supplementation.

bunk

Reaction score
When I was thirteen I tried a regimen similar to that. After three months I was A LOT stronger and cut, only I hadn't gained any mass.

CEF

Don Juan
Reaction score
Dont entirely discount bodyweight exercises. Bodyweight training is an excellent way to start building muscle. Start with doing three sets of 15 with 30 second rest intervals. When that gets easy start doing more. When that gets easy start doing them off your sofa. When that gets easy start doing them from a handstand position etc...

Did any of you happen to watch the olympic gymnastics competition? Thats the extreme of what bodyweight training will do for you. None of those guys lift weights yet they are all ripped and VERY strong. (your average 160lb olympic gymnast can bench well over 300lbs)

Now im not suggesting you build a routing just around pushups as others have said you are going to need to do some other sorts of weight lifting. Pushups dont do much for your legs. ;) All im saying is that you can definitely use pushups as a mass building exercise.

big peter

Reaction score
You will get stronger and in better shape but ur gonna be so sore everyday after u do them for the first week or so that ur not gona be able to do them the next day.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
actually they are prefect for me.

Besides a tad of a gut, I am very happy with my size, I dont' want to get bigger. I am 5'9, 170 with 11.8-12% d epending on what I eat.

I am trying to tone up, not gain mass, which is actually the last thing I want to do beause I have a wide base as it is.

However, if you are trying to get bigger, they won't HURT you, but they don't help you as much either

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fairly obvious from the name.

Get into a handstand position and start doing a pressing movement. I have good balence in handstands, so I just handstand, walk on my hands backwards until I reach a wall, and use the wall just to lean lightly against.

If you cant do this, Sort of try and crawl up the wall, crouching down and walking your legs up a wall until you air fairly upright.

Jobs a kipper.

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Handstand target the deltoids right? Like a reverse military press almost.

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The delts, yep.

Consider it for yourself to help get more strength in your delts - your gains have been a bit slow with overhead presses - maybe this will be more effective for you.

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll give it a go, I'm about to change my workout anyways.

Duke Togo

Don Juan
Reaction score
you should look at total body conditioning instead of focusing on just the ab area and pec's.

there are many excersises which dont incorporate weights which you should do to target everything.

what are your goals you should ask yourself before taking part in any excersise? dont waste time.

KillingTime

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think they are almost useless... there's no such thing as getting "toned".... the so called "toned" look is all about bodyfat, although 200 push-ups might just count as a bit of cardio if you do them almost non-stop and you might lose a bit of b/f.
With that said, if your cool with that and you want to do weight-less workouts these are a must:

A chin-up bar
something to do dips on... feel free to improvise but if you can get a dip station go for it
An excercise ball

I wouldn't do 200 reps of anything, cut that down and do the following workout:

Pushups on chairs
Chest Dips (leaning forward, head down, chin tucked in)
Pull-Ups
Hand-stand presses
Squats
Lunges
Crunches on excercise ball

I think that's about as good as you can get without weights.

-.-

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by CEF

Did any of you happen to watch the olympic gymnastics competition? Thats the extreme of what bodyweight training will do for you. None of those guys lift weights yet they are all ripped and VERY strong. (your average 160lb olympic gymnast can bench well over 300lbs)

I know gymnasts that lift weights in bodybuilding.com ofcourse those olympians lift weights... Lol.. Are you crazy? Some of them probably even used illegal drugs. :rolleyes: