Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Psychology discussion boards

Paradox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I need your help again. I am looking for Psychology discussion boards. I would like to find a board similar to this one. I would like to learn about and ask experts about different Psychological states such as Schizophrenia, Bipolar disorder, OCD....ect

I know I could just google it but I was looking for a board that someone has personally used and enjoyed.

SinJester

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey sorry I can't help you out, I was just curious why you want to find a board such as that? It would interest me too.

Paradox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
SinJester said:
Hey sorry I can't help you out, I was just curious why you want to find a board such as that? It would interest me too.
Well the first reason is that I have always been fascinated with various mental disorders. The movie "Fight Club" features the most popular (well known) mental disorder...Schizophrenia.

I wanted to learn why the personalities are not aware of each other. I also have a slew of questions about the various disorders. I would like to get them answered from reading articles or discussions in laymans terms....like we do here.

SinJester

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hm yes, well I'm planning on studying it at university next year, hopefully anyway. That's my reason :p

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Have you tried PsychologyToday.com? It's the most "layman" site out there dealing with the social sciences with articles written by people in the field. I'd go that route for accuracy as opposed to using web forums.

Paradox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Francisco d'Anconia said:
Have you tried PsychologyToday.com? I'd go that route for accuracy as opposed to using web forums.
I just went there. It is a nice site but it does not allow for any discussion. I'll bookmark it for reference. Thanks Francisco.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It'll be a bit difficult to find experts in the field who are willing to post to any detail although there's a bunch of forums used for supporting family members. The only other option that you may be able to finagle is sitting in on college courses where these things are discussed in detail.

Paradox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I did take Psyc 101 and Psyc 202. I guess I could pick up a couple of books. I would like to interact with experts though

Paradox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
KontrollerX said:
Much closer to the mark. especially enneagraminstitute.com. While they do have interesting personality disorder discussions, their theories are based on the Enneagram personality system.

I was looking for something more classical. Alot of this system looks theoretical.

I'll bookmark them though and do more research on the Enneagram personality system. Thanks for the input Kontroller.

The Bat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
First off, you do realize that schizophrenia was NOT portrayed accurately in Fight Club. In fact, schizophrenia is rarely portrayed accurately in any film.

http://forums.psychcentral.com/

I'm pretty sure that is exactly what you are looking for. What I find fascinating about that place is people actually post personal stories and cases of mental disorders. Basic knowledge can be gained from wikipedia, no doubt. But seeing it in action is much more different.

Paradox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Bat said:
First off, you do realize that schizophrenia was NOT portrayed accurately in Fight Club. In fact, schizophrenia is rarely portrayed accurately in any film.

http://forums.psychcentral.com/

I'm pretty sure that is exactly what you are looking for. What I find fascinating about that place is people actually post personal stories and cases of mental disorders. Basic knowledge can be gained from wikipedia, no doubt. But seeing it in action is much more different.
Thanks for the lesson about schizophrenia in movies. Schizophrenia was portrayed the same way in the movie Sybll and a few other movies.

Psychcentral is interesting. It seems to be mostly mental patients discussing their own mental disorders. Many of these patients know alot about their own condition. The only problem here is that most of the posters are still working through their problems. Like in jail, some of the criminals know more about criminal law than some lawyers.

Certainly there are some gems of information here. I'll keep it and look through the posts more thoroughly. Thanks Bat.

KontrollerX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
http://www.bpdfamily.org/index.php#7

I think this is the forum reset used in his recovery after having his HPD/BPD experience Paradox.

I have started helping at this site here and there recently under my hilarious CrunkChipmunk alias.

If you are interested in all disorders people have well this site focuses on one of them as its about BPD but people there also talk about their BPD's sometimes having bipolar or OCD disorder which you specifically mentioned in your opening post as well.

Paradox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
KontrollerX said:
http://www.bpdfamily.org/index.php#7

I think this is the forum reset used in his recovery after having his HPD/BPD experience Paradox.

I have started helping at this site here and there recently under my hilarious CrunkChipmunk alias.

If you are interested in all disorders people have well this site focuses on one of them as its about BPD but people there also talk about their BPD's sometimes having bipolar or OCD disorder which you specifically mentioned in your opening post as well.
Great BPD site! Very professional looking. Nice design. Information is well organized. Expert definitions of terms and conditions. Everything you want to know about BPD. Thanks again K

The Bat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Now that I think of it, the only movie that comes very close to portraying schizophrenia accurately is The Beautiful Mind. When I watched it, I was actually surprised by how almost realistic the disorder was portrayed.

Look for documentaries if you are looking for portrayal of mental disorders. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but PBS usually has great documentaries regarding any subject, not just mental disorders.

BMX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a sparknotes intro to psych book that helped me a lot when I took my intro sequence. I even talked to my professors during their office hours if I had questions on the disorders. One time I read a Psychology Today mag in the school library and it had very nice articles, prob have to read it more often.