Posture

orthanc

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hello all, I have another question for you.

I naturally stand with a very closed posture, often crossing my arms and slouching. I never intend to convey that I'm brooding, withdrawing, etc., it just happens to be the way I stand. I try and remain conscious of this, and try to not stand like this when I am out "in the field", but I often find that as soon as I stop thinking about it, I go back to crossing my arms. Any suggestions as to how to counteract this instinct?

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
hit the weights. work on your back to pull your sholders back. or wide grip chinups

jamescr73

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
yeah lift weights, and when you stand with your arms crossed, bring them up high, by your pecks. Stand tall, and use your arms to define your pecks. This will make you look tough, yet your body language wont portray that you are closed off, insecure, unconfident or whatever.

T Square

Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to have that problem in high school. If you just keep consciously practicing better posture, it will eventually become a habit. Now I rarely slouch at all.

I haven't tried it, but I also hear that the Alexander Technique is good for improving posture.

Sean O

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Well-developed abs are also important for good posture. I don't mean being ripped, I just meaing having strong, built abs.

banGbro

Banned
Reaction score
Try developing arms and shoulders, chest and back, gym is good but could be done at home. Once you start lifting 40 lbs dumb bells in each hand you start getting pump, when you pump you want to keep your hands apart.

But the mare fact that you forget to control your posture, tells that you forgetting to control yourself, so that could also be a problem.

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As others have said, lift weights. Nothing improved my posture more.

When your muscles are flaccid, your posture will naturally sink. You don't necessarily have to be a bodybuilder if you don't want to, but just keep those muscles active.