Post your numbers

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yo, post your 1RM. Here’s a calculator as I don’t ever actually do 1 rep sets https://strengthlevel.com/one-rep-max-calculator

I use KG but as most of you use LB I’ve translated

6’3’
227lb

deadlift 265LB
Squat 235LB
Military press 117LB
Bench 140LB

Not sure how these numbers look given I’m a big guy but I’ve always felt my bench is weak and my legs quite strong. I’m still still kind of a beginner, in as much as for years I’ve done a couple of months on and off and never kept the holy grail of consistency.

savi0r

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yo, post your 1RM. Here’s a calculator as I don’t ever actually do 1 rep sets https://strengthlevel.com/one-rep-max-calculator

6’3’
227lb

deadlift 265LB
Squat 235LB
Military press 117LB
Bench 140LB

Not sure how these numbers look given I’m a big guy but I’ve always felt my bench is weak and my legs quite strong. I’m still still kind of a beginner, in as much as for years I’ve done a couple of months on and off and never kept the holy grail of consistency.
The military press and bench press arm's are in kg?

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The military press and bench press arm's are in kg?
nope!

i MP 40KG over 2 sets of 10
I bench 45kg 2x10

I am not sure on 1 RM as I think I could bench more than that in one rep but that’s what the calc says.

I presume you’re seeing the same, my upper body is weak AF.

How to the dead’s and squats look?

Money & Muscle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

6’3’
227lb

deadlift 265LB
Squat 235LB
Military press 117LB
Bench 140LB

According to this site:

Bench: 366lb (actual PR 305x7)
Squat: 429lb (actual PR 405x3)
Deadlift: 557lb (actual PR 495x5)

I can also promise you that I will hit none of those weights anytime soon lol. 1RM calculators (no matter what formula you feed it) are okay at best regarding accuracy.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
My PRs at actual 1 RMs that I have done are:

Decline(can't flat bench due to shoulder issues): 380 lbs x 2

Squat: 475 lbs x 1

Deadlift: 565 lbs x 1

That was at 188 lbs around age 39 or 40 so a few years back...have given up lifting super heavy as joint issues and injuries from it have taken their toll since then.

What I am actually most proud of in terms of my lifting was doing 5x12 deadlifts at 355 lbs with a 1 minute break in between sets.

savi0r

Don Juan
Reaction score
nope!

i MP 40KG over 2 sets of 10
I bench 45kg 2x10

I am not sure on 1 RM as I think I could bench more than that in one rep but that’s what the calc says.

I presume you’re seeing the same, my upper body is weak AF.

How to the dead’s and squats look?
The deadlift and squat seem somewhat ok. But at 102kg, you can't be benching just 45kg. Also the military press must be higher in numbers. What is your age? For how many years have you been training? Maybe i'm not seeing the whole picture here.

savi0r

Don Juan
Reaction score
My numbers are something like this :
1. 2 x 10-13 reps x 220 lbs - bench press
2. 2 x 10-12 reps x 264 lbs - for squat. this is after 4 sets of leg press, every set with about 13-15 reps x aprox 750 lbs
3. 2 x 8-10 reps x 145lbs for shoulder dumbell press. 77lbs each dumbell.
4. 2 x 10-12 reps x 154 lbs for bent over row. i don't do deadlifts.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score

6’3’
227lb

deadlift 265LB
Squat 235LB
Military press 117LB
Bench 140LB

Your legs aren't that strong. At 227 lbs you could easily be squatting well over 500lbs. That's strong.

sangheilios

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your legs aren't that strong. At 227 lbs you could easily be squatting well over 500lbs. That's strong.
A man that is 6'3" and 227 lbs. is not going to be squatting well over 500 lbs. To put this into context, that is a similar height and weight to a prime Tom Brady.

The numbers fruit bat mention are honestly pretty low but would be otherwise average/normal for a person who is new to lifting or who just casually goes to the gym. Honestly not weak but not consistently trained in the gym.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
A man that is 6'3" and 227 lbs. is not going to be squatting well over 500 lbs. To put this into context, that is a similar height and weight to a prime Tom Brady.
Football players do it all the time weighing less than that at times. Running backs who are in the 195-205 lb range are squatting more than that.

I was 188 lbs and squatted 475 lbs. If you add another 40 lbs to my weight I would have been well over 500 lbs.

At 227 lbs it's not out of the realm of possibilities to be squatting over 500 lbs. Yes, that would be a good number but if you say your legs are strong, that's what I would be expecting.

sangheilios

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My PRs at actual 1 RMs that I have done are:

Decline(can't flat bench due to shoulder issues): 380 lbs x 2

Squat: 475 lbs x 1

Deadlift: 565 lbs x 1

That was at 188 lbs around age 39 or 40 so a few years back...have given up lifting super heavy as joint issues and injuries from it have taken their toll since then.

What I am actually most proud of in terms of my lifting was doing 5x12 deadlifts at 355 lbs with a 1 minute break in between sets.
You honestly can make really good progress going with more volume, reps, sets, etc. rather than just going really heavy. I'd say that unless you are actively training for a powerlifting competition there is no reason to train this way. Going with the former option of using more volume, you are less likely to get injuries by not grinding out reps, you'll gain more muscle and honestly less likely to get burnt out.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
You honestly can make really good progress going with more volume, reps, sets, etc. rather than just going really heavy. I'd say that unless you are actively training for a powerlifting competition there is no reason to train this way. Going with the former option of using more volume, you are less likely to get injuries by not grinding out reps, you'll gain more muscle and honestly less likely to get burnt out.
I would cycle thru different modalities throughout the year so I was only truly lifting heavy twice a year for 6-8 weeks at a time, basically building up to a 1RM week with my various lifts.

That would be followed by a deload phase where I would do less weight and more reps to help prevent CNS exhaustion, usually for about 6 weeks or so and then continue cycling thru so there were times I was pretty much doing every modality throughout the year.

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just out of interest, are folks here natty or enhanced? I keep an eye on other peoples lifts and I’ve rarely seen men squatting 2 plates a side, but it’s not a meathead gym.

the only guy I’ve seen get near that is a regular when I’m there and he’s jacked right up on gear.

My upper body is weak AF and I see guys benching more than me but usually like 150lb.

sangheilios

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Football players do it all the time weighing less than that at times. Running backs who are in the 195-205 lb range are squatting more than that.

I was 188 lbs and squatted 475 lbs. If you add another 40 lbs to my weight I would have been well over 500 lbs.

At 227 lbs it's not out of the realm of possibilities to be squatting over 500 lbs. Yes, that would be a good number but if you say your legs are strong, that's what I would be expecting.
You aren't factoring in height. A lot of those running backs you are citing are below 6' tall. A guy that is under 6' tall and weighing 220 or more and is at a healthy body fat level is actually very large/muscular for that height, I'd also question if they were on steroids. You also are comparing high level or even pro level athletes to some random guy that is just casually going to the gym, which represents the majority of people there.

A guy that is 6'3" is not going to be squatting 500+ pounds at that weight. Could someone of this height potentially train to hit this, possibly, but it wouldn't be easy. The standard 300 bench, 400 squat, 500 deadlift are considered very good goals for people that are natural and training hard for a few years. You honestly aren't going to find that many people who are well above these numbers AND still natural. When I say well above I'm referring to a 400 bench, 500 squat, 600 deadlift, etc. These people exist, but this would be the upper threshold of where you could be at, anything beyond this starts getting into steroid territory and people that have good leverages for lifting. IF his goal was to squat 500+, I'm talking a full range of motion and not half reps, he'd have to weigh quite a bit more and/or gain a lot of muscle compared to where he is now. This would take many years of dedicated powerlifting training, which may not even really be his goal.

Also, taller men tend to have builds that are horrendous for powerlifting, especially squats, so it might not even happen. One particular lit does not automatically mean someone is stronger or weaker than someone else. I've seen some people who are really good at bench pressing that can barely do dips for instance.

sangheilios

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just out of interest, are folks here natty or enhanced? I keep an eye on other peoples lifts and I’ve rarely seen men squatting 2 plates a side, but it’s not a meathead gym.

the only guy I’ve seen get near that is a regular when I’m there and he’s jacked right up on gear.

My upper body is weak AF and I see guys benching more than me but usually like 150lb.
Here's the deal. Most guys that you see at the gym are honestly just going casually and not all that serious about their training. There's nothing wrong with this, most people have other priorities than obsessing about their lifting numbers lol. A lot of people that go to the gym also aren't very consistent either.

I've personally never touched steroids but steroid use is way more common in regular gym goers than you probably realize. The numbers you posted are honestly pretty normal/average for the typical gym goer that is either new(ish) and/or just going casually. You should just focus on your own goals and progress and not really concern yourself about what other people do there.

When I was 17 when I started lifting and trained more like a typical powerlifter/meathead I hit a 205 bench in about 3-4 months of training. The other lifts I don't really recall all that well, it's so long ago. I don't train bench press anymore as it gives me a lot of shoulder issues.

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The deadlift and squat seem somewhat ok. But at 102kg, you can't be benching just 45kg. Also the military press must be higher in numbers. What is your age? For how many years have you been training? Maybe i'm not seeing the whole picture here.
102kg and I’m pretty fat. I should be about 85-90kg

I’ve lifted a lot but the story of my life goes: Get overweight/low obese. Train 3-6 months in a cut lifting. Enjoy. Get fat. Repeat.

Ive done lots of weight training but I’ve never done a bulk because it’s always been to cut off fat.

I squat deep, if I did the half squat most people do I could do a lot more.

I’m not really posting these numbers because I’m proud of them, I was just curious really.

45kg bench for 2 sets at 10 reps is comfortable. I worry a bit moving numbers up as I need a spot really. I use the bench press machine and I can do 2x10 at 59kg on there so perhaps I can go higher.

I have lots of weight to lose so I don’t expect to see very big numbers for a good while.
I really enjoy lifting and the buzz it gives me.

I also am quite cautious as I have a rare disease which is a form of arthritis so I have to be slow and steady as if I lose form I could be in trouble.
I am not supposed to do deadlifts at all. I reckon my deadlift could go up to be honest. In my early thirties I got to my best fitness and back then I was DLing 125KG over sets of 6. I could probably do that now if I wasn’t so worried about my lower back (which is the danger zone for my arthritis)

not sure how to replace the DL. I always thought it was the best exercise.

MP is about as good as I’ve been.

Until I drop about 10-15KG I doubt I’m gonna get very impressive numbers.

Money & Muscle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

I'm not natty, but all my above numbers were done before taking anything extra.

I'd also been lifting for 13 years at the time, so that helps.

A reasonable strength goal would be:
Bench: 1.5x BW
Squat: 2x BW
Deadlift: 2.5x BW

These are very doable for natural folks, anything more is definitely suspect to enhancements or VERY long periods of training.
Keep in mind that when people say they squat some crazy weight, if you haven't seen the video - they may have never broken 45*, nevermind breaking parallel for depth. Just take it with a grain of salt.

My squats were breaking parallel, though I doubt I could hit the same numbers today... give me a month or two and I'd be there again - I just don't do powerlifts anymore.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
You aren't factoring in height. A lot of those running backs you are citing are below 6' tall. A guy that is under 6' tall and weighing 220 or more and is at a healthy body fat level is actually very large/muscular for that height, I'd also question if they were on steroids. You also are comparing high level or even pro level athletes to some random guy that is just casually going to the gym, which represents the majority of people there.

A guy that is 6'3" is not going to be squatting 500+ pounds at that weight. Could someone of this height potentially train to hit this, possibly, but it wouldn't be easy. The standard 300 bench, 400 squat, 500 deadlift are considered very good goals for people that are natural and training hard for a few years. You honestly aren't going to find that many people who are well above these numbers AND still natural. When I say well above I'm referring to a 400 bench, 500 squat, 600 deadlift, etc. These people exist, but this would be the upper threshold of where you could be at, anything beyond this starts getting into steroid territory and people that have good leverages for lifting. IF his goal was to squat 500+, I'm talking a full range of motion and not half reps, he'd have to weigh quite a bit more and/or gain a lot of muscle compared to where he is now. This would take many years of dedicated powerlifting training, which may not even really be his goal.

Also, taller men tend to have builds that are horrendous for powerlifting, especially squats, so it might not even happen. One particular lit does not automatically mean someone is stronger or weaker than someone else. I've seen some people who are really good at bench pressing that can barely do dips for instance.
College scouts have guides for recruiting and they expect HIGH SCHOOL RBs that want to go to high level college programs to be able to squat 400 lbs...in high school! Those kids don't even have real lifting programs with quality coaches, just whatever their PE/Football coach tells them to do.

These aren't crazy numbers. A person who is going to the gym regularly for a long period of time that is pushing themselves to continue to improve should have some sort of goal in mind otherwise what is the point of going?

I used to see people come to the gym and act like it was Social Hour at the Ritz-Carlton. I never understood it...are they going because they are trying to convince themselves they are actually "trying to improve" without actually doing any of the work?

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not natty, but all my above numbers were done before taking anything extra.

I'd also been lifting for 13 years at the time, so that helps.

A reasonable strength goal would be:
Bench: 1.5x BW
Squat: 2x BW
Deadlift: 2.5x BW

These are very doable for natural folks, anything more is definitely suspect to enhancements or VERY long periods of training.
Keep in mind that when people say they squat some crazy weight, if you haven't seen the video - they may have never broken 45*, nevermind breaking parallel for depth. Just take it with a grain of salt.

My squats were breaking parallel, though I doubt I could hit the same numbers today... give me a month or two and I'd be there again - I just don't do powerlifts anymore.
Thanks mate, this is what I will aim for. I’ll bookmark this page and hope in many months to come I’ll break some milestones.

One thing to mention is im overweight, so I’m gonna be cutting for a while so can’t see me getting to any decent increases. Also 2x body weight when I am reasonably lean at say 87KG is much more doable than at my current weight.
As I lean out I guess the target gets easier. Really I am a 87K man with 15KG of dead weight strapped to me so I’ll probably aim for lean numbers if that makes sense

sangheilios

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
College scouts have guides for recruiting and they expect HIGH SCHOOL RBs that want to go to high level college programs to be able to squat 400 lbs...in high school! Those kids don't even have real lifting programs with quality coaches, just whatever their PE/Football coach tells them to do.

These aren't crazy numbers. A person who is going to the gym regularly for a long period of time that is pushing themselves to continue to improve should have some sort of goal in mind otherwise what is the point of going?

I used to see people come to the gym and act like it was Social Hour at the Ritz-Carlton. I never understood it...are they going because they are trying to convince themselves they are actually "trying to improve" without actually doing any of the work?
Bro, those lifts I guarantee would never pass in a powerlifting meet and would be through terrible ranges of motion. I've seen tons of these videos and they are not using good form, even the NFL combine bench press looks horrendous.