Post College Disillusionment - a rant

blackbelt2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Liberal Arts degrees are only good for one thing, teaching. If you plan to become a grammar/highs chool teacher, go for liberal arts. With a degree in Communication, you can be a writer for a magazine.

Suicide

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
comic_relief said:
I got a question because we are talking about Piece of sh!t degrees. Do you guys think that a degree in Philosophy would be a good thing (this includes a dual major in business administration. My main degree)?

comic_relief
Only if you want to go to graduate school (grad schools LOVE philosophy degrees).

mpimpin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Majors such as Liberal Arts, Philosophy, Political Science, even CJ are good majors if going to Grad School

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
if I went to college, I would have majored in philosophy... for the hell of it. It's what I like.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
grad schools LOVE philosophy degrees

so do fast-food joints

I almost picked philosophy, but chose political science because I was briefly interested in politics at the time. I was in rotc in college and thought I was going into the Army, which did not care about one's major.

For anyone thinking about law school, pick the major where you can get the highest gpa. Unless you want to go for being a patent attorney and making the big bucks, in that case you need a science or engineering background. afaik, law schools don't give any extra admission points for hard undergrad majors like engineering, with equal lsat test scores, a 3.8 undergrad liberal arts major gets admitted before a 3.7 engineering major.

Suicide

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
That is not necessarily true.

Law schools especially like sciences backgrounds in undergrad. I was told by the dean of our law school that if you have a sciences background and a law degree, you can essentially write your own ticket to wherever you'd like. My buddy just finished his first year of law with an undergrad background in mechanical engineering. He's going to have a fantastic array of opportunities upon graduation because of the relative rarity of his law degree and sciences background. Law schools tend to desire a well-rounded class, so it's very possible that more linear sciences majors actually have an upper hand during the admissions process.

Law schools like Poly Sci and Phil degrees because of the level of theoretical thinking ability that those degrees tend to develop in students, assuming you have a competitive GPA. Law school doesn't necessarily teach you how to practice law; it teaches you to understand law. Admission to the majority of law schools isn't as linear as you might think, or as is undergrad admission. Experience, academic record, and your LSAT score are all equally important.

Not everyone who graduates with a Poly Sci or Phil degree is a law school candidate. It takes work and planning. If you choose one of those degrees and have an interest in graduate or professional schools, it's essential that you plan for it from your first year. That goes for any degree that you're trying to get into grad school with but it is particularly true with those because of the comparably large amount of people who apply to law schools with those degrees. Internships are also EXTREMELY important in that arena.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
if you have a sciences background and a law degree, you can essentially write your own ticket to wherever you'd like.

yes, but it's because of supply and demand. There are not many law grads with science backgrounds because they tend to not get into law school. The ones who do and graduate are in high demand.

My buddy just finished his first year of law with an undergrad background in mechanical engineering. He's going to have a fantastic array of opportunities upon graduation because of the relative rarity of his law degree and sciences background.

yes, I agree

Law schools tend to desire a well-rounded class, so it's very possible that more linear sciences majors actually have an upper hand during the admissions process.

Law schools are judged on their rankings in regard to each other. The most widely regarded ratings are done by US News and World Report. Law schools care a lot about their rank. Schools are judged most prevalently on their avg lsat and avg gpa of newly admitted students, as well as their bar passage percentage of recent graduates and average starting salaries. Percentage of non-liberal arts students is not a factor.

Of the couple hundred people I know at law school, I can think of two engineering majors and a couple accountants. Everyone else majored in one of the liberal arts. The competition for admission is intense. Even at lowly-ranked schools, they still get 3-4 times as many applicants as they have spots. Most schools have an auto-admit program where if you have a certain lsat and gpa, they guarante admission, without looking at anything else about you. Any boost that science grads get would have to come during the deliberations of the admissions committee, which is usually only considering applicants who have identical lsat/gpa numbers.

Unless you are one of the few people who can get A's in college engineering and difficult science classes like organic chem, imo don't enroll in those majors thinking that you are going to get into law school.

Suicide

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm going to have to disagree with you on the ranking point. There's a very strong movement right now, especially among private schools, resisting the importance of those rankings and concentrating on other factors. Among more prestigious institutions, the US News rankings are increasingly becoming a non-issue.

I also think that it really depends on what schools you're applying to. If you are applying to a large state law school, you're going to become a number more easily than at a private school. Private schools, in my experience, are much more concerned with the overall quality of the classes they admit and tend to take a closer look at factors other than GPA and LSAT score. Now, those are certainly important, but I can guarantee you that of two identical candidates, one with a sciences major and one with a liberal arts degree, the sciences major will have a markedly better chance of gaining admission.

I don't know about any law schools with auto-admission policies based on LSAT and GPA scores, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to go to one. That is a pretty severe indicator of poor class quality in my opinion.

Once again, it can be done. It's like anything else. Decide what you want and plan well, otherwise you'll just end up floundering wondering why you've just been rejected by every school you applied to.

dot

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
What do you suggest for me for college: (what major, etc)

Here's what I'm doing now:
web/graphic design, programming (mostly web based), djing, audio engineering, making beats, filmmaking (doesnt interest me as much and i haven't made many yet)

I'm good at math but it's boring unless I have a good teacher.

I really don't wanna be doing a slave job, but I'm having a hard time monetizing my skills. I think it's possible though, I know a lotta people who have done it. (Surrounding myself with successful people :))

Here's a thread with more info: http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=127177

Boston DJ

Don Juan
Reaction score
Go to top 10 school, major in finance, become an investment banker, hate your job. The only thing you do besides work is drink, womanize, play golf, and piss your money away on stupid sh*t. You rationalize to yourself that you are working so hard that you should be able to spend your money on whatever you want. Hey it's bonus season!!! I deserve a $5k watch!! Then you realize after you buy your watch that this doesnt make you happy. Then you drink more after coming to this conclusion.

That's my story.

Life is what you make it, find something you want to do for the rest of your life. Don't worry about what is on your diploma

dot

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Boston DJ said:
Go to top 10 school, major in finance, become an investment banker, hate your job. The only thing you do besides work is drink, womanize, play golf, and piss your money away on stupid sh*t. You rationalize to yourself that you are working so hard that you should be able to spend your money on whatever you want. Hey it's bonus season!!! I deserve a $5k watch!! Then you realize after you buy your watch that this doesnt make you happy. Then you drink more after coming to this conclusion.

That's my story.
Sounds like the exact slave the system wants you to be.

Boston DJ said:
Life is what you make it, find something you want to do for the rest of your life. Don't worry about what is on your diploma
Might as well make college worth it.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you should be able to spend your money on whatever you want.

Then, assuming your employer permits it, spend it on a trading account, and do end-of-day swing trading of stocks or futures. It won't bring meaning to your life, but if you are successful at it, it will bring the freedom to leave your job and find meaning elsewhere.

belividere

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mpimpin said:
Majors such as Liberal Arts, Philosophy, Political Science, even CJ are good majors if going to Grad School
As a current grad student (engineering) the general rule of thumb is that if you go to grad school because you cant land a job with your undergrad degree you are only prolonging the inevitable.

Getting a PhD in liberal arts brings you to a whole different level of unemployable. If anything take the LSAT and go to law school. I have never meet a happy PhD student or recent PhD recipient in the liberal arts as there are very very few jobs available.

Unfortunately college is more a rite of passage then an exercise of advanced learning now. I'm not saying that this is the path you took, but how many of your classmates choose BA degrees so they could get drunk 5 nights a week and/or meet girls in class? There is a great deal of knowledge to learn from the humanities and arts but how much can you not learn on your own, IME it was just picking up the classics and reading them.

If you dont want to do sales (dont blame you) or advertisement/marketing then you are limiting your employability given your degree, particularly if you are stuck to one specific city which isn't very large. I would look into labor unions if I was to want to stay in the same city for the rest of my life. Outside of laborers (which most of my friends are) I know very few people who can hold a job in one city for the rest of their lives.

Potbelly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lmao you're all wrong.

College degrees are worth NOTHING if you go through a bullsh1t major, ie. art, art history, greek history, euro civ, etc...all that is bullsh1t.

Only science degrees, econ, andengineering will get you anywhere in life. You guys with art degrees...the mexicans are stealing your cleaning jobs

mpimpin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
belividere said:
As a current grad student (engineering) the general rule of thumb is that if you go to grad school because you cant land a job with your undergrad degree you are only prolonging the inevitable.

Getting a PhD in liberal arts brings you to a whole different level of unemployable. If anything take the LSAT and go to law school. I have never meet a happy PhD student or recent PhD recipient in the liberal arts as there are very very few jobs available.

Unfortunately college is more a rite of passage then an exercise of advanced learning now. I'm not saying that this is the path you took, but how many of your classmates choose BA degrees so they could get drunk 5 nights a week and/or meet girls in class? There is a great deal of knowledge to learn from the humanities and arts but how much can you not learn on your own, IME it was just picking up the classics and reading them.

If you dont want to do sales (dont blame you) or advertisement/marketing then you are limiting your employability given your degree, particularly if you are stuck to one specific city which isn't very large. I would look into labor unions if I was to want to stay in the same city for the rest of my life. Outside of laborers (which most of my friends are) I know very few people who can hold a job in one city for the rest of their lives.
I totally agree with you I'm a poly sci major with a minor in CJ but I'm going to Law school. I suppose i should have clarified by grad school I was pretty much leaning towards Law School in that statement.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Potbelly said:
Lmao you're all wrong.

College degrees are worth NOTHING if you go through a bullsh1t major, ie. art, art history, greek history, euro civ, etc...all that is bullsh1t.

Only science degrees, econ, andengineering will get you anywhere in life. You guys with art degrees...the mexicans are stealing your cleaning jobs

spoken by the 19 year old.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i have said it once, i've said it twice, and no one seems to give a damn.

When you are an employer, and y ou have say....75 employees. And say there are 4 colleges around you.. and you just put out 2 NEW positions that pay about 45k a year, you are filling them..whatever. Say you have a degree in business management. There are about 300 other students around you with that EXACT same degree. Plus the ones that didn't get hired from the year before. And that's assummign that I actually want to fill both jobs with new blood.

300 people fighitng for 1 job.

the answer to the equation is to do something tht your peers don't. Just like with dating women, running a successful business.. whatever the case may be. you have to stand out. The name of the college can stand out.. the internships can stand out.. your GPA can stand out. your post grad can stand out. SOMETHING has to stand out for you to get your foot in the door.

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
Of the couple hundred people I know at law school, I can think of two engineering majors and a couple accountants. Everyone else majored in one of the liberal arts. The competition for admission is intense. Even at lowly-ranked schools, they still get 3-4 times as many applicants as they have spots. Most schools have an auto-admit program where if you have a certain lsat and gpa, they guarante admission, without looking at anything else about you. Any boost that science grads get would have to come during the deliberations of the admissions committee, which is usually only considering applicants who have identical lsat/gpa numbers.

Unless you are one of the few people who can get A's in college engineering and difficult science classes like organic chem, imo don't enroll in those majors thinking that you are going to get into law school.
I went from studying mechanical engineering / commerce to law-school. I didn't finish my engineering/commerce degree, I dropped out. The only reason I got in was because I went to the best high school in the country and graduated with honers, my gpa from high school was good enough for admission. And let me tell you, the competition is intense. There are people in my class with everything from a PhD in philosophy to a master in social science and everyone is competing with everyone else. Its fvcking nut! When I got admitted there were over 3500 applicants to 350 spots. I checked the statistics for the first year finals - 45 failed their finals, 15 got A. (I got an A and a B woohoo :) )

The thing is, law-schools don't give a sh!t if you have done engineering or whatever as your undergrad. What they care about is your grades. If you have good grades - you get in. You don't get brownie points for studying something difficult.

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
And Backbreaker is right on the money. When you apply for a job, there are tens or even hundreds of applicants for the same job. What you need to do is to stand out positively. Be it having an MBA, having started your own business etc.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
spoken by the 19 year old.
(to the 19 year old)
Can I get fries with that?

Last edited: