Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Is free will an illusion?

Serg897

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I’ve been reading with interest some debates on the internet about this involving many competent scientists and philosophers. Here is an op-ed written by Jerry Coyne, a biologist at the university of Chicago who argues that there is no such thing:
http://chronicle.com/article/Jerry-A-Coyne/131165/

A response can be found here:
http://blog.talkingphilosophy.com/?p=4445

Many others have also weighed in – Sam Harris just recently gave a lecture at Caltech also arguing that its an illusion.
www.samharris.org/media/the-illusion-of-free-will-lecture-at-caltech

I think its interesting to examine this question in the context of women, relationships, and dating. How many veterans on this forum have had AFC reversions when a certain woman came along? How many times have you lost yourself in oneitis even though you had been on this forum and absorbed the information and knowledge for years? How many times have you done things against your better judgement, i.e. broken NC, called too often, or otherwise made idiotic mistakes with women who didn’t deserve it? I have done this many many times.

I am not trying to negate the concept of responsibility. Our past experiences determine the choices that we make in the here and now. All Im saying is that if you define free will as “I could have done differently” its essentially meaningless – since if you were to rewind everything back to the moment you made the choice, placing every variable where it was at the time there is no reason to believe you will do otherwise without changing the laws of physics, cause and effect. You are always stuck with the choice you made.

Anyway, Im curious to see if people on this board are interested in having this debate or not. Discuss.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes free will is an illusion. You were pre-programmed to make this post on this website and question free will. I was pre-programmed to make this post outlining this post and your post.

ElChoclo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes, but I was pre-programmed, to convince you not to be an AFC, and to argue so effectively, that you would have no choice other than to stop being one.