Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

I'm Sleeping Too Much

jake-da-snake

Don Juan
Reaction score
I recently added in Starting Strength to my workout schedule.

My goal with lifting is to become stronger as well as aesthetically look bigger.

I do martial arts training three times a week and now I lift three times a week, Sunday is my only real rest day. I'm 19 yo and about 5'7", I have a sedentary job. I'm eating roughly 2500 calories a day of mostly protein, which is a massive jump of my previous diet of 1000 calories a day.

The issue I'm running into is that I'm sleeping up to 12 hours a night, which is super unusual for me. I go to bed around 11, wake up to my alarm at 7:30, fall back asleep and wake up at 12, groggy as heck.

Any thoughts on what might be the cause of this? Any solutions, or will this go away on its own after my body adjusts to the new diet and activity?

Xenom0rph

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This sounds very typical of exhaustion. Lifting is physically draining while sedentary jobs are mentally draining which is why you're needing to sleep more since you're taxed both physically and mentally.

My recomendation:
1) scale back on the lifting and replace one lift day with a cardio day instead. Cardio is good for recovery.
2) if you need to sleep, then sleep. Sleep as much as needed to recover.
3) cold (or moderately cold) showers are helpful to snap your mind out of groggyness....

switch7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

My goal with lifting is to become stronger as well as aesthetically look bigger.

I do martial arts training three times a week and now I lift three times a week, Sunday is my only real rest day. I'm 19 yo and about 5'7", I have a sedentary job. I'm eating roughly 2500 calories a day of mostly protein, which is a massive jump of my previous diet of 1000 calories a day.

The issue I'm running into is that I'm sleeping up to 12 hours a night, which is super unusual for me. I go to bed around 11, wake up to my alarm at 7:30, fall back asleep and wake up at 12, groggy as heck.

Any thoughts on what might be the cause of this? Any solutions, or will this go away on its own after my body adjusts to the new diet and activity?
Starting strength really takes it out of you once you start to up the plates. It probably ain’t gonna work too great with all that martial art training u are doing, at the moment your sleep is compensating for that

RickTheToad

Reaction score

Chill dude. Your body needs to rest and repair. You can do cardio on the off days and weight train on the other days. At least one day to rest. The Rock suggests two sometimes.

RickTheToad

Reaction score
Sleeping too much in my books is not too much exhaustion. Its running away from things in my life im not happy about.
If he's working out like he says, his body is just compensating and trying to repair. One cannot work their body to failure each time. The body is not the mind, it will give in to the stress and pressure from the fatigue and inflamation.

logicallefty

Reaction score
I’ve never understood all the bad talk about sleep. Why some people think sleep is so bad. My work week is a rock solid 65-70 hours every week. I’m tired AF on Friday nights and I often go to bed at 7pm and don’t get up till 10am. I don’t feel a damn bit guilty. If you gotta sleep, sleep!

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I’ve never understood all the bad talk about sleep. Why some people think sleep is so bad. My work week is a rock solid 65-70 hours every week. I’m tired AF on Friday nights and I often go to bed at 7pm and don’t get up till 10am. I don’t feel a damn bit guilty. If you gotta sleep, sleep!
On 60-80hrs working like a machine you do need to catch up on sleep hrs when your not working. Ive worked were you get 4hrs of sleep for 4 days a week. On the other days you may get 10-12 hrs of sleep to somewhat makeup for it.