Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Ideal number of reps for weight lifting?

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I stay 8-12 for most, my triceps respond better to low reps though, my lateral raises higher rep. I generally don't go lower rep range as I train alone and already got an injury last year, I alternate between higher and lower reps after 6-8 weeks. My biceps got a lot bigger in higher reps then I switched to lower recently. Log it all in excel so can easily glance over 1-2 months reps/sets/weight, I'm a bit OCD with my spreadsheets.

Money & Muscle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Log it all in excel so can easily glance over 1-2 months reps/sets/weight, I'm a bit OCD with my spreadsheets.
Cool, me too!

Here I thought I was the only one.

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cool, me too!

Nice, similar, I don't do "tonnage" but that would be more accurate to check total volume rather than reps/sets/weight.

HOw do you get it on your phone? Google?

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33497853/

Full Text

Read into these as much as you want, but all signs point towards training to failure as the predominant source of progress in well-trained individuals. If you aren't "well trained" then you probably don't need to go to failure.
I used to love running Vince Gironda's "Honest Man" workouts, his famous 8x8's. Did them exactly as he did...30 seconds or less between supersetting 2 exercises for 8 reps each, 8 sets total, then changed exercises and repeated. Did this with a total of 8 exercises, so 4 complete sets. Usually took about 45 minutes and would do the same workout once in the morning and again in the evening as he did.

Super intense training, tons of volume, definitely high intermediate-advanced level training but results were amazing. Would run this 6 weeks and usually did it every 6 months, followed by deload periods after.

Not enough people know about Vince Gironda and his methodologies but for my money he is one of the best resources out there for a natural person looking to build an aesthetic physique. He is known as the father of modern day bodybuilding for a reason.

Last edited:

Money & Muscle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not enough people know about Vince Gironda and his methodologies but for my money he is one of the best resources out there for a natural person looking to build an aesthetic physique. He is known as the father of modern day bodybuilding for a reason.
His methods are severely dated and not based in science or widespread anecdotal evidence. Not saying they won't work - almost anything can be done to make someone look jacked, but they are not the most effective by any means.

Failure training 3x a week once into the intermediate phases of lifting, combined with quality food intake, will do more than anything Gironda has put out there. Sorry to poo-pooh your dude.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Cool, me too!

This is the basis behind Escalating Density Training(EDT).

Except it's more time based rather than rep based...ie, set a time for 8 minutes, pick 2 exercises and then do a set number of reps for each one before switching to the other. Back and forth between them until time runs out. Count the reps and add up the tonnage, then try to beat it next time out by either doing more reps or increasing the weight.

Usually best done with opposing muscle groups, ie, bent over rows and dumbbell presses.

Pick 3-4-5 sets to do and get after it with little to no rest between sets.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
His methods are severely dated and not based in science or widespread anecdotal evidence. Not saying they won't work - almost anything can be done to make someone look jacked, but they are not the most effective by any means.

Failure training 3x a week once into the intermediate phases of lifting, combined with quality food intake, will do more than anything Gironda has put out there. Sorry to poo-pooh your dude.
Must be pretty good...I was bigger and stronger than you without steroids. At age 40+

Money & Muscle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is the basis behind Escalating Density Training(EDT).

Except it's more time based rather than rep based...ie, set a time for 8 minutes, pick 2 exercises and then do a set number of reps for each one before switching to the other. Back and forth between them until time runs out. Count the reps and add up the tonnage, then try to beat it next time out by either doing more reps or increasing the weight.

Usually best done with opposing muscle groups, ie, bent over rows and dumbbell presses.

Pick 3-4-5 sets to do and get after it with little to no rest between sets.
Your limiting factor becomes cardio, not muscle strength.

Are you trying to lift weights faster, or are you trying to get bigger and stronger?

Money & Muscle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Must be pretty good...I was bigger and stronger than you without steroids. At age 40+
post pictures with height and weight. I know very few who are actually bigger than me - and they are all on steroids.

IKO69

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to love running Vince Gironda's "Honest Man" workouts, his famous 8x8's. Did them exactly as he did...30 seconds or less between supersetting 2 exercises for 8 reps each, 8 sets total, then changed exercises and repeated. Did this with a total of 8 exercises, so 4 complete sets. Usually took about 45 minutes and would do the same workout once in the morning and again in the evening as he did.

Super intense training, tons of volume, definitely high intermediate-advanced level training but results were amazing. Would run this 6 weeks and usually did it every 6 months, followed by deload periods after.

I am unfamiliar with his 8x8 method, but I will for sure read about it later after I am done with work. I am familiar with the personality. Gironda dips are one of my favorite callisthenic exercises and I do a ton of them on chest day.

Anyways I've always kept the rep range between 6-8. In terms of sets I will do about 4 for each exercise. I do about 4 exercises per each body part. I've pretty much always done it this way except for a few years ago when I read a mens health mag that had Wladimir Klitschko's workout. He did high volume with lower weight - going for endurance I guess. I gave up on it after a few weeks and went back to what I always did. My back, shoulders and arms are kind of big - my chest could use a bit more work but training the chest is something i've never been really that crazy about (I know it is most guys favorite).

Experimentation is the answer for the OP. You have to experiment and eventually you'll find a system that works. Mainly whatever you do, you want it to be challenging. By the end you want to know you got a good work out in,

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Your limiting factor becomes cardio, not muscle strength.

Are you trying to lift weights faster, or are you trying to get bigger and stronger?
I had a big 3 of 1420 lbs at 188 lbs, I was in the elite category for all of them(squats, deadlifts, bench/decline) for my weight, I didn't need to get any stronger and in fact, my joints eventually let me know I reached the limit of what it was going to allow me to do.

Last edited:

Money & Muscle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I had a big 3 of 1420 lbs at 188 lbs, I was in the elite category for all of them(squats, deadlifts, bench/decline) for my weight, I didn't need to get any stronger and in fact, my joints eventually let me know I reached the limit of what it was going to allow me to do.
Great numbers, but emphasis on *had*. Where are you at now relative to this?

What I'm getting at, is training AMRAP within a time interval is great if you're trying to lift those weights fast, but not if you're trying to lift heavier or get bigger. It certainly could work, it's just suboptimal as cardio is the limiting factor - not muscular strength.
If your goal is to get bigger and stronger, dedicated sets and reps (or rep ranges RE failure training) are ideal. AMRAP for time is a CrossFit function (which is pretty badass on it's own, but again suboptimal for hypertrophy).

post pictures with height and weight. I know very few who are actually bigger than me - and they are all on steroids.
Is that a "no" on pictures?

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I do 2-5 reps for squats and deadlifts, and 5-8 for OHP, rows, and bench.

Depends what your goals are.

Last edited:

RazorRambo24

Banned
Reaction score
6-12 Rep Range

20 Reps for warmup/pumps /getting blood into the muscle before I work it out. I'll do a 3 set of 20 rep kinda thing or sometimes more to accomplish this.

My workouts, every single one of them is usually 5 different excercises, 5 sets, 6-12 rep range, Pyramiding with weights

larrydude

Reaction score
Depends on if you're weightlifting, bodybuilding, strongman , supplementing a sport activity or fitness

Obee1

Don Juan
Reaction score
3-5 reps are optimal for strength gains. Size comes naturally with strength. Work on getting as strong as possible.
If you're squatting 225 for sets for 5 you probably look like a guy that squats 225. When you put the work in and eventually squat 500 for sets of 5, you'll look like a guy who squats 500+. Even the journey from 225 to 315 will show aesthetic improvement. The weight will never lie or deceive you like the mirror and ego.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're squatting 225 for sets for 5 you probably look like a guy that squats 225. When you put the work in and eventually squat 500 for sets of 5, you'll look like a guy who squats 500+. Even the journey from 225 to 315 will show aesthetic improvement. The weight will never lie or deceive you like the mirror and ego.
Facts. People want an easy alternative. A guy that can squat and deadlift 500 lbs looks like it. Everyone in the room can see it (and they usually move out of his way).

Reincarnated

Don Juan
Reaction score
I hit each muscle group twice a week. Once focusing on power/less reps & the other in a higher rep range, focusing on hypertrophy. I don't have any clinical data to back it up, but it makes sense and works for me.

(By lower reps I mean typically 3-8, and higher reps 9-15).

Gamisch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fcking hurt my shoulder doing a...muscle up..smh..stupid ol' me thinking I'm still the 22 y.o pro boxer with endless flexibility and strength. Heard /felt (not sure) a pop . PT said its not a tear . Will have to take a step back unfortunately. I was just getting better with weight lifting and bodyweight training, kinda disappointing. All exercises seem to use the rotary cuff so I am royally fecked. Will take it easy next two weeks ,but i hate this shyte. Just found a great rythm for training 5/6 a week. Will fall back to cardio only until the PT "allows" me to lift heavy again. Pt said don't go passed the piont of level 2/10 when feeling discomfort/pain.

Depends on if you're weightlifting, bodybuilding, strongman , supplementing a sport activity or fitness
(Kick) boxing. But only recreational . I went from 94 kilos to 79 ! Last night I went under 80 kilos for the first time this year ( my fighting weight was alwas around 72/74).

I rather become a little bit bigger. Although I like my current frame. Much better looking than with the 12/14 kg overweight ofcourse.

Tbh I'm kinda reluctant to bulk. I am a sponge it seems. My body soaks up whatever I feed it. Shyte food? I'll blow up in weight and size. I touch a dumbbell? I get ripped within days. So I picked the latter and start looking more buff already. I just feel like with my height (6,1) at 75 kilo ,(165 lbs )I have this boy-ish look. Or I should say: it reminds me of my younger self while I am trying to become a bigger stronger version .

Facts. People want an easy alternative. A guy that can squat and deadlift 500 lbs looks like it. Everyone in the room can see it (and they usually move out of his way).
Yup. One of the harsh facts of life. Your body kinda shows what you're capable of or not. I've now reached 70 kilo (160 lbs?) with benching, and my arms have never been bigger.