Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

How to get a programming/developer job without a degree

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You are correct by saying university name doesn't matter, it really doesn't.

I live in the UK and in my local city and other cities within 90 minutes away, 70 % of these junior/entry level programmer, developer jobs don't require a degree.
Most dev jobs around here require degrees, but if you are good enough and know someone I am not sure they really care. Networking seems as important as the degree. We have java developers at my job who didnt pursue a CS degree. In fact, they are better developers than those who write automated testing who did get a CS degree.

Hope the interviews went well. You had mentioned android apps - been writing simple APIs in rails for a react native phone app. Its kind of a pain in the ass with the syntax. I personally am not liking the front end, even though i've managed to make it all work. I suppose it takes a certain type of person..

I don't have a crystal ball, but I bet anyone who can code in C++ and do anything blockchain/fintech might be a good area to get into in the next 5 years. I am hoping they promote me at my job, and that I can write our java programs. It would be fun to pick at the bitcoin/etherium source code and see whats going on under the hood.

ashleysummer

Banned
Reaction score
You don’t necessarily ought to have a degree to work as a programmer. From my own experience I can suggest that you use web design resources like https://studioblackbelt.com . It covers so many useful topics making it possible for non programmers to develop effective websites.

Stephen89

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hope the Java job is going well synergy1 and good luck.

As for others, there are online learning providers where you can learn as well as use their projects as part of your portfolio:

Such as treehouse, Lynda, pluralsight, coursera, free code camp, code academy, Udacity.

Udacity offer nanodegrees in ios, android, web development, robotics etc and there projects are top notch. Worth the $150 a month price.

switch7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I started playing with some html and css a couple months back just out of curiosity and since then i've installed ubuntu and i'm now learning javascript and ruby fundamentals.. I think i've got the bug although its still early days..

Anyone know what the job prospects are like for junior web development positions for guys in their mid 30's in the uk?

Stephen89

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
There is good demand where I live. Age doesn't matter. As long as you've got no gaps in your CV you are good.

Javascript and it's frameworks are in high demand, learn and build projects in them or you could use treehouse's, pluralsight's, Lynda's projects in those languages.

sazc

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was doing all things Java from 2006 to 2015 (JavaScript, jQuery, jstl, java, HTML, css, mySql) Now I am doing angular, bootstrap, c#/linq , IIS in visual studio 2017. This requires HTML and CSS knowledge.

It's damn fun.

This seems to be the way to go for now. Unless you are considering getting a job supporting an existing/legacy system written in Java. This is definitely a way to go.

It's not cutting edge right now, bootstrap/angular is, but you will get jobs.

In general, just make sure you understand things about clean algorithms, memory allocation and the server, so you don't write bloated code that is slow and/or consumes all the memory.

Another thing to consider is learning how to program virtual reality stuff. That nearly is extremely under utilised, but hah a wide application. That employment niche will be coming on line in a stronger manner as we move along.

sosousage

Banned
Reaction score
I was doing all things Java from 2006 to 2015 (JavaScript, jQuery, jstl, java, HTML, css, mySql) Now I am doing angular, bootstrap, c#/linq , IIS in visual studio 2017. This requires HTML and CSS knowledge.

It's damn fun.

This seems to be the way to go for now. Unless you are considering getting a job supporting an existing/legacy system written in Java. This is definitely a way to go.

It's not cutting edge right now, bootstrap/angular is, but you will get jobs.

In general, just make sure you understand things about clean algorithms, memory allocation and the server, so you don't write bloated code that is slow and/or consumes all the memory.

Another thing to consider is learning how to program virtual reality stuff. That nearly is extremely under utilised, but hah a wide application. That employment niche will be coming on line in a stronger manner as we move along.
i know css,html, and was learning java. i stoped eventually. i wasnt able to produce anything cool. i was creating a 2D game with Sting/Spring/smth else(? that lib for graphics/ui) but I switched to JavaFX. all I had done is enemies following my direction and my character moving with WASD althrough it was after couple of weeks of learning, so I gave up.

Stephen89

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
For those pursuing this option.

You can learn and use projects from (C#, Java, JavaScript, Python, PHP, C++):

-Treehouse
-Pluralsight
-Lynda
-Udemy
-Udacity
-Codeadacemy
-Free code camp

Also there are nanodegree's in web, app, software development at Udacity,Treehouse, intensive courses at Codeacademy.

Code luck

switch7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Guys i've been working through 'the odin project' and im half way through javascript 101.. Once ive finished that the next module is ruby 101...

My question is how much demand is there for 'ruby on rails' in the workplace? I'm seeing other online bootcamps like freecodecamp that take you through node.js etc which seems like a more employable skill to have regarding the back end side of development...

I found some interesting stats from stack overflow 2017 survey that kind of answer my own question however, however would be interested to hear what others think..

front.png

framework.png

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So here is the lowdown on rails. Rails is a framework intended for rapid deployment of applications. It is a full stack framework meaning you combine the backend and front end as you develop your product. With rails, you *can* use a javascript framework if you desire. This means the two are not mutually exclusive. In fact rails has API mode which basically strips down much of the application and allows responses from your server to be JSON format. Example, you can create an android application using react native and a rails API. This JSON format is consumed by your angular or react/redux front end. That said, Node is basically your API mode in rails, but is written in JS. I don't program in node, but also have observed is in much higher demand than django, rails, .net etc. This probably has something to do with the fact that its used in cryptos or something like that.

Honestly I would pick what you like. Program the full stack and see which you like better.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Node is in higher demand, but you want to hit the sweet spot. PHP was in higher demand 5 years ago but becuase it was in such high demand, everyone programmed in PHP.

the trick is, to find a language that is not obescure to the point no one ever uses it, but obscure enough to where you can't be replaced.

React Native is our money spot along with NetSuite.

If i know what i knew now and was told to go to school and learn one language, it would be Java. Straight up Java. Java is go pay some ****ing bills.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree with BB about the java and RN parts. Most enterprise software companies use java somewhere in their stack - its not to say to forgo another language if you like it. At the end of the day, most the languages are similar. Design patterns are similar.

An update on my end, I got an interview and code test for a senior full stack developer position. Also applied for a dev ops position. The first company seemed uninterested in what framework I used and more that I could make something. I actually completed the code test with satisfactory results. I've only been in the space about 1 year.

I think the future will be very bright for anyone who can develop distributed systems via blockchain. I dug into most of the source code for bitcoin, etherium, EOS etc - they are all in C++. I might upgrade my knowledge of C++. Seems like knowing nodejs is key too - a lot of applications are written using a varient of this. I looked at coding smart contracts with etherium which appeared to be JS. Lastly, some security/ cryptographic concepts might be useful.

DEEZEDBRAH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm going to be applying for programming, developer jobs in a months time, I know a few people who've got into well paid programming jobs without a degree and I've heard many stories on the internet of how uni students dropped out to get programming jobs. There is a guy who failed his degree and had some programming experience that went into a well paid developer job straight after failing his degree after uni.

1) Pick a programming language, C#, C++, Java, Python or for web development you can choose Ruby etc. Learn by following lessons on Treehouse, Code Academy, Tutorials Point, W3 schools, Udemy, Pluralsight, YouTube.

2) Develop a complex project, you only need one complex project, this could be developing an algorithm, a flight simulator, chess game, 3d image scanning software, video game.

3) Create a portfolio of other projects, this could be web applications or mini- games you have made or anything else such as payroll software, aim to make around 20, everything you do is transferable.

4) Contribute on open source projects on GitHub.

That's all you need to do then start applying junior programmer/developer jobs on jobsites over the internet, you can work from home from remote working, freelance websites or you could start your own business.

Good luck!
Udemy link had like 325+ links to programming and other links. Much of which were bogus but, I think it is a good start. I was never strong programmer.

Andrett

Banned
Reaction score
You need to study a lot. Firstly you need to learn CSS, HTML, Jquery, Javascript, PHP. And then to search for a real job.

Stephen89

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You can learn and use projects from (C#, Java, JavaScript, Python, PHP, C++):

-Treehouse
-Pluralsight
-Lynda
-Zenva
-Udemy
-Udacity
-Codeadacemy
-Free code camp

Also there are nanodegree's in web, app, software development at Udacity which you pay around $150/$200 a month and can complete in 3-6 months.

Good luck

Stephen89

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm taking a Udacity full stack web developer nano-degree and landed myself an interview only after completing one project.

Once again, If you're struggling for projects, you can learn and use projects from various languages from:

1) Treehouse
2) Udemy
3) Lynda
4) Pluralsight
5) Udacity
6) Code Acadmy
7) Zenva
8) Free code camp

switch7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm taking a Udacity full stack web developer nano-degree and landed myself an interview only after completing one project.

Once again, If you're struggling for projects, you can learn and use projects from various languages from:

1) Treehouse
2) Udemy
3) Lynda
4) Pluralsight
5) Udacity
6) Code Acadmy
7) Zenva
8) Free code camp
Be interested to know what project you made that gained you an interview. I'm currently learning rails, i definitely prefer front end js. Good luck by the way, let me know how it goes.

Stephen89

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
It's a movie trailer website from the Udacity full stack front end nano degree. I also have other web development projects.

There's plenty of demand for web development, PHP work.

I'd fully recommend taking a Udacity nanodegree (£150 a month and complete within 2 months) either full stack web developer or front end developer, with high quality projects and you will get a qualification which adds credibility to your CV/resume with projects to show.

Or you could just build your own projects or learn and use from the websites mentioned.

switch7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's a movie trailer website from the Udacity full stack front end nano degree. I also have other web development projects.

There's plenty of demand for web development, PHP work.

I'd fully recommend taking a Udacity nanodegree (£150 a month and complete within 2 months) either full stack web developer or front end developer, with high quality projects and you will get a qualification which adds credibility to your CV/resume with projects to show.

Or you could just build your own projects or learn and use from the websites mentioned.
How did you land the interview, did you apply or did they stumble across you somehow?

Stephen89

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I applied on indeed looking for junior web developer positions.

As stated, there are many junior web, Javascript, php work available.