"Stop Asking Your Friends What to Text Her"

Your buddy Dave has been single for three years and thinks "hey u up" is a valid strategy. Your other buddy Mike just got dumped and told you to "just be yourself."

You showed them her text. You asked them to decode the emoji. You drafted four responses and sent the screenshot to the group chat for a vote.

She's been waiting forty minutes.

Put the phone down. Stop crowdsourcing your love life. Type something that sounds like you. Hit send. Then go do literally anything else with your evening.

Read more...

How many of you DJs use emoticons and smiley faces in texts?

Knight of Roses

Senior Don Juan
Joined
Apr 17, 2018
Messages
296
Reaction score
276
Age
40
Just curious.

What's your thoughts on the following:

Smiley faces
Winks
Devil emoji
Smiley face / winking emoticons
Using terms like "Haha, and LoL".
 

"Stop Asking Your Friends What to Text Her"

Your buddy Dave has been single for three years and thinks "hey u up" is a valid strategy. Your other buddy Mike just got dumped and told you to "just be yourself."

You showed them her text. You asked them to decode the emoji. You drafted four responses and sent the screenshot to the group chat for a vote.

She's been waiting forty minutes.

Put the phone down. Stop crowdsourcing your love life. Type something that sounds like you. Hit send. Then go do literally anything else with your evening.

Read more...

Visionist

Master Don Juan
Joined
Mar 27, 2016
Messages
837
Reaction score
876
Age
38
I tend to use the sunglasses emoticon. I used to use the tongue sticking out emoticon too, not so much now.

Less is definitely more.
 

BackInTheGame78

Moderator
Joined
Sep 10, 2014
Messages
16,864
Reaction score
19,093
I use them somewhat. Especially when you say anything that could be intepreted in a bad way to let them know it is meant as teasing.

Texting can be a little dangerous if you don't know how to do it properly because if someone inteprets something the wrong way via text it is a far bigger issue than it would normally be over the phone or in person and will be a lot harder to overcome. It is a very unforgiving form of communication.
 

Serenity

Moderator
Joined
Aug 19, 2013
Messages
5,149
Reaction score
5,055
Age
35
Location
Eye of the storm
I usually just use one at the end if appropriate as a brief way of expressing the "tone" of my message or what facial expression I would make.

This :p one I limit mostly to irony, it's commonly overused by insecure people. Used sparingly it can can clarify that a message isn't intended to be negative, when it could very easily be interpreted like that without the emoji.

Using just a ton of emojis can be appropriate if you have developed that type of rapport or it's a sort of inside joke or something. Don't do it by default though.

I use "haha" a lot more than I use "lol". The length of the "hahahaha" says something about just how funny I found it to be. "Lol" is outdated and people who say it typically don't laugh in reality, it feels like the laziest way to express something to be slightly amusing, not really funny.
 

In2theGame

Master Don Juan
Joined
Oct 17, 2005
Messages
2,190
Reaction score
1,147
Age
43
Location
New York City
I use the Pointing Finger emoji followed by the "OK" hand sign emoji
 

"She Made Her Decision Before You Finished Your Sentence"

Three seconds. That's how long it took. Your shoes. Your posture. The way you held your drink. Whether you looked at the floor or looked at her.

She already filed you away. Interesting. Boring. Safe. Bold. Before you even opened your mouth.

Everything you say after that is just her confirming what she already decided.

So stop rehearsing lines. Fix the first three seconds. Stand tall. Look up. Smile like you mean it. Walk like you belong wherever you're standing.

The words come later. The impression comes first.

Read more...

Hal9000

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jun 2, 2019
Messages
876
Reaction score
1,275
I use them however much the girl I'm texting uses them. If she never uses one I won't be the first one to use an emoji but if she's including them in every message I will use them much more freely. I don't use them at all in most non dating communication but that's not particularly relevant when you're trying to get a date or whatever.
 

Black Widow Void

Master Don Juan
Joined
Feb 24, 2010
Messages
2,153
Reaction score
3,796
Rarely and no more than using an exclamation point.
The only time I used some sort of emoticon is when I'm not sure if my humor properly received (I can be sardonic and dry at times).
 

RickTheToad

Moderator
Joined
Apr 21, 2018
Messages
6,603
Reaction score
5,138
Location
Bridgeport, CT
I sometimes use the cool or just a smiley face. I try to keep it at a min. though. The problem with text is that one cannot get emotion through on a text, so sometimes one needs to add an emoji to lighten the text so it's not taken out of context.
 

RangerMIke

Master Don Juan
Joined
Nov 23, 2014
Messages
4,762
Reaction score
7,972
Location
USA, Louisiana
Only with my daughters. We have this thing were we send emoji strings back and forth with no words to see if we can figure out what what the other is saying. It's sort of fun. But I've never done anything like this with women I date. I'm not a big texter... I sort of hate it. Other than my daughters, I don't think I've ever sent a text to anyone longer than a sentence. Anything more than that I just call.
 

Lookatu

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jun 26, 2017
Messages
3,069
Reaction score
3,889
Age
53
I use them however much the girl I'm texting uses them. If she never uses one I won't be the first one to use an emoji but if she's including them in every message I will use them much more freely. I don't use them at all in most non dating communication but that's not particularly relevant when you're trying to get a date or whatever.
This.
 

"You'll Never Feel READY to Walk Over"

Next Monday you'll feel more confident. After the gym you'll feel more confident. After one more drink you'll feel more confident. After you get a better haircut, a better jacket, a better job.

You've been "getting ready" for two years.

She's standing ten feet away right now. She'll be gone in four minutes. No amount of preparation will manufacture the courage that only comes from moving your feet.

Walk over. Stumble through the first sentence. Let it be clumsy. Let it be imperfect. You will feel more alive in those ten seconds than you have all month.

Read more...

SW15

Master Don Juan
Joined
May 31, 2020
Messages
15,423
Reaction score
12,522
I don't use them with women. I've used the poop emoji with male friends.
 

Lookatu

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jun 26, 2017
Messages
3,069
Reaction score
3,889
Age
53
Generally I find emoji's more used and accepted from young gals. The older gals that aren't very career oriented or have good jobs will also be accepting and generally use them a lot. The older career minded women though may be turned off by them or by the over usage of them.
 

DreamAgain

Master Don Juan
Joined
Sep 17, 2016
Messages
699
Reaction score
714
They are very useful, but only in moderation and only in the absolute right context. A properly timed winky face is quite potent ;)
 

DEEZEDBRAH

Master Don Juan
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
6,068
Reaction score
4,848
Age
36
I mostly use it to flex after I get a throater or beat it rotten
 
Top