How do I make my neck thick?

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How go the fotty players do it? Mine is too long and thin. It is getting better with bodybuilding but is there and isolation exercise I can do?

Man I hate it when i can't get the last rep on the bench press up. you look like the biggest nob

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
But I swear rugby league players just have no neck whatsoever.bodybuilders do

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Neck bridges holding plates on your chest. I prefer the version where you lie on your back.

I did this to strengthen my neck to take punches better, it worked, though it could just be a placebo effect. This is a well-respected exercise for boxers.

Its a great workout, just dont cripple yourself. Read this article.

http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym15.htm

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
thnx, I'll start doing my neck when i do my abs

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the pic is pretty much the bottom position. Use your neck to bring your torso just above the ground, dont let it touch. Imagine lieing with your back flat on the ground and legs pulled in towards you, knees bent. then push your hips up and adjust your head so it is supporting your bodyweight.

use your neck and legs to a lesser extent like a spring to rock back upwards until the top o your head is resting flat on the ground. how this works for you depends on your flexibility.

never go to any point of discomfort.

keep it smooth and controlled at first, its a bit akward to learn. I found it worked best without a pillow, just a cushioned mat that your whole body is on. the pillow made it feel less stable and more dangerous.

try googling it for a video or pics.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bring up your squat, deadlift and bench to good numbers and eat 2g of protein per lb.

Mjazz

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I would work on your traps, deadlifts are a great exercise for your traps. I would also try neck bridges, but I dont think you will get thickness from that. I'll bet your neck isnt even that thin, your just focusing on it too much. And yes, not getting the last rep on bench blows, but I can usually struggle it up.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You can make or buy something that wraps around your head, and you can hand weights from it, and do "neck curls"....if thats your thing

But i'd prefer to build up my traps/back

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
theres a machine at my gym that puts pressure on the back of the head and you have to push it up, that helps alot..i use to do the neck bridge but i don't find it necesary..using your hands as resistance does a good job of building mass but its very slow.

find a way to isolate your neck and then abuse it every week because a big neck is very important.

DJDamage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
if i remember correctly wolf is an mma fighter, which is partially why i recommended bridges, to build up knockout resistance. this is why i did them, and it helped.

if youre looking only for the bdybuilding aspect of it, take effort's advice and stick to the basics. i havent done neck work in 6 months, yet my neck looks bigger, which i attribute to deadlifts and overall mass gains.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In 8th grade my neck was 14 inches, it's around 16 now.

My neck is the main reason people think I weigh 170lbs...even though I'm a light 150...:)

Cenotaph

Don Juan
Reaction score
Shrugs - Upright rows - Neck Bridges

Your neck is like your calves, this is a tough body part to build as it is constantly being used.. Thus, taxing these muscles can be difficult (if your lazy). Naturally you will have to have proper: exercise, nutrition, rest.

You tube the exercises if you do not know what they are... Or hit a body building site for pics of "proper" form.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've got a question, you know when you're spent after a squat routine, how your legs are jello. What happens if you hammer your neck lol

Gonna be a bobble head?

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i take that back, neck bridge is the sh!t..but you gotta move around from side to side