Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

How about a NEWBIE Handle?

Mukester

Don Juan
Reaction score
How about a newbie handle?

We are getting loads of very AFC posts on the forum. I know its great that we all help each other, but some people are just coming onto this forum, spilling they're guts how they got dumped and wanting a response, without even having any concept of anything slightly DJ.

Any thoughts....?

junglist

Don Juan
Reaction score
what do you mean by "handle"?

Personally, as a newbie, I think your idea has merit insofar as I understand it to mean that newbies should be directed towards learning dj concepts before whining about their problems. But is this not what the bible is for?

Mukester

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Edge:
Maybe we should have used this idea on you when you first started...
-Where's the smiley that blushes..? Good research, Edge!

Originally posted Junglist:
by what do you mean by "handle"?
-Yeah the theory is sound but many dont read the bible and post regardless. By "handle" i mean that little 'id tag' under your name that refers to you as a 'don juan'. I reckon that by having a newbie handle it would ensure the 'newbies' realsie that they gotta make an effort and do a bit of reading before they post. It would also allow other DJ's to traget their efforts more effectively

SexPDX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
All this posting about finding ways to distinguish more experienced members or "masters" from newbies is getting a little out of hand IMO.

You can tell from the post whether or not it is a newbie posting and if you can't then you are most likely a newbie yourself.

If you want to see the redundant posting decline, volunteer to be a mod if you care that much. This board is lax on moderation. I am not complaining, just observing. The GOOD thing about lax moderation is that it helps the quality of conversation. The BAD thing, however, is that it diminishes the quality of MATERIAL because the forum becomes cluttered with redundant discussions. Maybe somewhere in between is the way to go, but I really doubt coming up with new ways of deciding who is or is not a newbie is really going to help the problem.

-PDX

darkhorse

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by SexPDX
If you want to see the redundant posting decline, volunteer to be a mod if you care that much. This board is lax on moderation. I am not complaining, just observing. The GOOD thing about lax moderation is that it helps the quality of conversation. The BAD thing, however, is that it diminishes the quality of MATERIAL because the forum becomes cluttered with redundant discussions. Maybe somewhere in between is the way to go, but I really doubt coming up with new ways of deciding who is or is not a newbie is really going to help the problem.

-PDX

Here's a fairly simple solution to this that could be added to the forum setup. Moderators could have a control that let's them flag threads or posts within threads as clutter. Likewise, posters could choose whether to view the board with the clutter added or not shown. If the board was viewed with clutter added, the poster could also choose whether to have the clutter have a different background color. I'm not a big bulletin board poster so I don't know if this feature is already provided in a bulletin board somewhere, but it would be fairly simple to implement.

Of course, the downside to this is the bullsh*t politics of what gets flagged as clutter or not. Personally, I think the less moderation the better.

SexPDX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by darkhorse
Here's a fairly simple solution to this that could be added to the forum setup. Moderators could have a control that let's them flag threads or posts within threads as clutter. Likewise, posters could choose whether to view the board with the clutter added or not shown. If the board was viewed with clutter added, the poster could also choose whether to have the clutter have a different background color. I'm not a big bulletin board poster so I don't know if this feature is already provided in a bulletin board somewhere, but it would be fairly simple to implement.

Of course, the downside to this is the bullsh*t politics of what gets flagged as clutter or not. Personally, I think the less moderation the better.
OR you could just develop clear posting guidelines, post a link to said guidelines in a prominent spot on the board and anything that is CLEARLY clutter based on those guidelines can be REMOVED when encountered by a mod. And anyone who KEEPS posting "clutter" can be banned.

The political issues disappear once there are agreed upon posting guidlines that all posters are made aware of. I don't, however, see much point to calling something "clutter" then leave it there when it would be just as easily deleted altogether.

-PDX

darkhorse

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by SexPDX
I don't, however, see much point to calling something "clutter" then leave it there when it would be just as easily deleted altogether.

-PDX

Maybe "clutter" was a poor choice of words. The point was to try to deal with the bad results of lax moderation you mentioned while also preserving its good results. Allowing user-selectable views of material would keep the forum an open one while also allowing people a tighter restriction of content if they so wish. The selection could also be done in the opposite direction - moderators could flag material as "choice" material that's quality and dead on the subject. People could choose to view only that material or could choose to view the wider range of discussion of the full board.

Sisko

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Well I know when I came here I read all the tips in the Hall of Fame. Then I registered to the forum, read The Bible, and started posting.

There should be more pressure on the new guys to read at least the HS Bible, and then start to post.

Further more, I agree with Nick, that if you can't tell whats bullSh!t
then you are probably a newb.
If anykind of filter is considered, it should be considered to help the newbs.