Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Horror movie suggestions

Xenom0rph

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm on a horror movie binge. I'd like suggestions for the absolute scariest horror movies you've seen. I'm talking about movies that made you afraid to sleep in the dark, movies that give you nightmares...

My top:

1) Hereditary - easily the scariest horror movie I've ever seen. It dethroned The Exorcist as the greatest horror movie ever made. I had this movie on my mind even 2 weeks after seeing it. It's the imagery, the music, and the genuine feeling of dread that writer/director Ari Aster masterfully crafted in the film. BTW, for the film theorists that hypothesize that the film was psychological and that the events took place in the minds of the mentally ill characters, director/writer Ari Aster dispels this theory: it's literal, the events that took place in the film literally happens, it wasn't sleepwalking or delusions. Go into the movie blind, don't read reviews or read the wikipedia page, don't let anything spoil the movie for you. Go into it with a blank slate.

But fair warning: If you're going to watch Hereditary, be prepared to be disturbed. This movie haunted my mind and caused me some sleepless nights.

2) The Conjuring 2 - incredible cinematography. There's a reveal scene that I found very creepy and effective - I won't spoil it for you though.

3) The Witch - not quite scary, it's disturbing....

4) The Exorcist - the opening scene in Iraq is still a cinematic masterpiece even today....

5) The Ring/ Ringu - The Ring was okay. Ringu capture the creep vibe through its music. Ringu has elements of "Butoh" which is creepy...... Generally I don't find Asian horror scary. Even Japanese horror movies I don't find scary, but rather I find J-Horror creepy.

As a long time horror fan, it's becoming a challenge to find anything genuinely scary - I've seen it all. I guess I'm jaded at this point. Horror relies on elements of the unknown, but I've pretty much seen all clichés, tropes and gimmicks now...

Jump scares are retarded. Gore is gratuitous and cheap. The only way for a movie to be scary is to craft an dreadful atmosphere through music, imagery and psychological tinkering....

Last edited:

Xenom0rph

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Japanese performance artist Kazuo Ono doing a Butoh dance. I find sh1t like that creepy and disturbing in an interesting way...

Xenom0rph

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Here's a scene from Lost Highway. It's the scene with Robert Blake's portrayal of "The Mystery Man"...... that laugh is sinister.... It rivals the Predator's laugh right before he activated his self-destruct device..... put your headphones on and listen to that laugh.....

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Some of my favorites are The Quiet Place 2018, It Chapter.1.&2, Stranger Things (watch all 3 seasons), The Outsiders (HBO 2020 slow burn but intense layoff), there are some other TV shows like Lock and Key but not in mood to open.

Annihilation 2018, Color of Space 2019, are just gold. Also Signs 2002. I was too scared to see Mandy 2018. Just to name a few.

Had watch tonnes of real life Exorcisms off the Bob Larson channel, but have lost interest as of late.

Also MA 2019, Greta 2019, Split 2016, US 2019, Get Out 2016, (any horror made by Jordon Peele is good). These are more disturbing types of movies that are socially taboo. Also Orphan 2009, and Case 39 2009, Midssommer 2019, The Cure to Wellness 2016, Brightburn 2019, Don't Breathe 2016, It Follows 2014, Nerve 2016.

Here is a trailer-song sequence for Case 39:

Some of these horror movies were rewatched like 6 times. The cinematography and music score just have a class to it that its an artful type of horror.

Last edited:

Lynx nkaf

Banned
Reaction score
Here's a scene from Lost Highway. It's the scene with Robert Blake's portrayal of "The Mystery Man"...... that laugh is sinister.... It rivals the Predator's laugh right before he activated his self-destruct device..... put your headphones on and listen to that laugh.....

Yes! You're right!
Gravelly coughy predator sinister laugh.
meh.

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The other movies referenced by the OP, I've seen none of them. They are occultic and not the type of movies I'd be interested in.

The type I've suggested are non-occultic, but they are creepy or scary.

Lynx nkaf

Banned
Reaction score
Some of my favorites are The Quiet Place 2018, It Chapter.1.&2, Stranger Things (watch all 3 seasons), The Outsiders (HBO 2020 slow burn but intense layoff), there are some other TV shows like Lock and Key but not in mood to open.

Annihilation 2018, Color of Space 2019, are just gold. Also Signs 2002. I was too scared to see Mandy 2018. Just to name a few.

Had watch tonnes of real life Exorcisms off the Bob Larson channel, but have lost interest as of late.

Also MA 2019, Greta 2019, Split 2016, US 2019, Get Out 2016, (any horror made by Jordon Peele is good). These are more disturbing types of movies that are socially taboo. Also Orphan 2009, and Case 39 2009, Midssommer 2019, The Cure to Wellness 2016, Brightburn 2019, Don't Breathe 2016, It Follows 2014, Nerve 2016.

Here is a trailer-song sequence for Case 39:

Some of these horror movies were rewatched like 6 times. The cinematography and music score just have a class to it that its an artful type of horror.
when I read artful type of horror I'm reminded of Rear Window by Hitchcock....still gets my heart beating fast and I've watched it a couple of times now, lol

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
when I read artful type of horror I'm reminded of Rear Window by Hitchcock....still gets my heart beating fast and I've watched it a couple of times now, lol
Just glimpsed it. Has a 99% Rotten Tomatoe score. May have a go at this!
Have you seen Invisible Man 2020? Also has a Hitchcock vibe to it.

Lynx nkaf

Banned
Reaction score
Just glimpsed it. Has a 99% Rotten Tomatoe score. May have a go at this!
Have you seen Invisible Man 2020? Also has a Hitchcock vibe to it.
Yes! I saw it at the theatre. Talk about how effective gaslighting is....making her feel crazy.
The footprint on the sheet was a spooky scene. So was her friend picking her up on the road scene. Cool house in that movie!

You haven't seen Rear Window? Grace Kelly is so beautiful it hurts. James Stewart is a favourite because of his stellar character in Its a Wonderful Life.

I just love the buildup and gradual suspense Hitchcock does.

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes! I saw it at the theatre. Talk about how effective gaslighting is....making her feel crazy.
The footprint on the sheet was a spooky scene. So was her friend picking her up on the road scene. Cool house in that movie!

You haven't seen Rear Window? Grace Kelly is so beautiful it hurts. James Stewart is a favourite because of his stellar character in Its a Wonderful Life.

I just love the buildup and gradual suspense Hitchcock does.
Yeah I remember my blood pressure hit the roof after viewing Invisible Man. I watched it in my dark basement on TV and I had a hard day (was temp banned from youtube/google and had to appeal). That movie got my mind off all of that. My movie memory is not that great unless I rewatch, but I do remember the sheet in bedroom with the two girls scene. The road scene was at the beginning or middle?

The basement is a naturally scary place in its own right, especially at night by yourself. Any sound or movement in there multiplies the creep factor by 10. A movie theatre still has people and you drive to and from. I think these things can diffuse the horror effect.

I will see if I can stream Rare Window. I first saw It is a Wonderful Life on Super 8mm film with sound. Was borrowed from the library in 1989 and was one of the movies I viewed as a tween. That must have been rewatched a dozen times. It reay was a great film.

If you like slow burns what do you think of M Night Shymalan movies?

Lynx nkaf

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah I remember my blood pressure hit the roof after viewing Invisible Man. I watched it in my dark basement on TV and I had a hard day (was temp banned from youtube/google and had to appeal). That movie got my mind off all of that. My movie memory is not that great unless I rewatch, but I do remember the sheet in bedroom with the two girls scene. The road scene was at the beginning or middle?

The basement is a naturally scary place in its own right, especially at night by yourself. Any sound or movement in there multiplies the creep factor by 10. A movie theatre still has people and you drive to and from. I think these things can diffuse the horror effect.

I will see if I can stream Rare Window. I first saw It is a Wonderful Life on Super 8mm film with sound. Was borrowed from the library in 1989 and was one of the movies I viewed as a tween. That must have been rewatched a dozen times. It reay was a great film.

If you like slow burns what do you think of M Night Shymalan movies?
Basements are creepier than attics.

Trick is to watch at least 15 min of a comedy afterwards to mimic the driving to and from theatre resetting.

Is Shymalan too slow for me? Sixth sense and Signs look familiar but I would have turned them off. Why I haven't seen The Happening with Mark Wahlburg yet is beyond me. Respect his grind to keep his bodygame up and he's a decent actor. Zooey is nice to watch too. She was so good in Yes Man with Jim Carrey.

Lynx nkaf

Banned
Reaction score
I'm on a horror movie binge. I'd like suggestions for the absolute scariest horror movies you've seen. I'm talking about movies that made you afraid to sleep in the dark, movies that give you nightmares...

My top:

1) Hereditary - easily the scariest horror movie I've ever seen. It dethroned The Exorcist as the greatest horror movie ever made. I had this movie on my mind even 2 weeks after seeing it. It's the imagery, the music, and the genuine feeling of dread that writer/director Ari Aster masterfully crafted in the film. BTW, for the film theorists that hypothesize that the film was psychological and that the events took place in the minds of the mentally ill characters, director/writer Ari Aster dispels this theory: it's literal, the events that took place in the film literally happens, it wasn't sleepwalking or delusions. Go into the movie blind, don't read reviews or read the wikipedia page, don't let anything spoil the movie for you. Go into it with a blank slate.

But fair warning: If you're going to watch Hereditary, be prepared to be disturbed. This movie haunted my mind and caused me some sleepless nights.

2) The Conjuring 2 - incredible cinematography. There's a reveal scene that I found very creepy and effective - I won't spoil it for you though.

3) The Witch - not quite scary, it's disturbing....

4) The Exorcist - the opening scene in Iraq is still a cinematic masterpiece even today....

5) The Ring/ Ringu - The Ring was okay. Ringu capture the creep vibe through its music. Ringu has elements of "Butoh" which is creepy...... Generally I don't find Asian horror scary. Even Japanese horror movies I don't find scary, but rather I find J-Horror creepy.

As a long time horror fan, it's becoming a challenge to find anything genuinely scary - I've seen it all. I guess I'm jaded at this point. Horror relies on elements of the unknown, but I've pretty much seen all clichés, tropes and gimmicks now...

Jump scares are retarded. Gore is gratuitous and cheap. The only way for a movie to be scary is to craft an dreadful atmosphere through music, imagery and psychological tinkering....
Natural disaster movies are spooky to me too.
Dante's Peak,
The Day after Tomorrow, San Andreas, any of the asteroid ones,
tidal wave ones, twister/tornado ones.

Natural animal vs. man movies cause me to scream too.
The Grey was excellent.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Brightburn 2019,
I'm not a big fan of modern horror movies. I love the old classic Universal monster movies, they're not scary, but they have great Gothic atmosphere. My favorite modern horror movie might be Pet Sematary (the original one). I thought the remake had some interesting differences, but the first one wins just by having Fred Gwynne in it.

I saw Brightburn, and I thought it was pretty chilling. But I was interested in it mainly because it was a twisted version of the Superman story.

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of modern horror movies. I love the old classic Universal monster movies, they're not scary, but they have great Gothic atmosphere. My favorite modern horror movie might be Pet Sematary (the original one). I thought the remake had some interesting differences, but the first one wins just by having Fred Gwynne in it.

I saw Brightburn, and I thought it was pretty chilling. But I was interested in it mainly because it was a twisted version of the Superman story.
I liked the song the played on the end credit of Brightburn. I'm a Bad Guy by Billie Elish. To hear that type of song after a movie like that and the way it went, it's just like the coolest thing. The end credit song sometimes frames and helps process what you just watched.

Other great end credit songs is the one that ended Little Monsters (2019). It's a kid zombie movie and I felt was more leaning towards dark comedy rather than horror, or just plain silly, ended with MMMBop by Hanson. Can you imagine them really using that song? Again that was just a thrill to listen to that song at the end of a movie like that.

Nerve 2017 also had a great end credit song. When you look at an intense story and it ends with an upbeat end credit song, it just adds another buzz dimension to the movie. It gives it that "I just got out of the roller-coaster", wow, what a ride, type of feel.

Xenom0rph

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nerve 2017 also had a great end credit song. When you look at an intense story and it ends with an upbeat end credit song, it just adds another buzz dimension to the movie. It gives it that "I just got out of the roller-coaster", wow, what a ride, type of feel.
Nerve was a fun light-hearted movie even though the core story could have been much darker because it involves elements of the dark web and paid voyeurism (which on the dark web usually involves violence).

The movie also had some fun songs.