Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Horror movie suggestions

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Trick is to watch at least 15 min of a comedy afterwards to mimic the driving to and from theatre resetting.
Just came back from viewing "No Mercy" 2019 (in the basement). It's a Black wrongful conviction movie from William Mcmillian that was overturned in 1993. It's the second time this year I look at this movie.

Yes, I will keep your above suggestion in mind. Unless there is a very upbeat end credit song, then you need to make a break somehow.

Lynxh nkaf said:
Is Shymalan too slow for me? Sixth sense and Signs look familiar but I would have turned them off. Why I haven't seen The Happening with Mark Wahlburg yet is beyond me. Respect his grind to keep his bodygame up and he's a decent actor. Zooey is nice to watch too. She was so good in Yes Man with Jim Carrey.
I do not think he's too slow. I like Shymalan's style of direction. I just think he's weird-wired somehow and it comes out in his film. It's like it has this slow / drama philosophical type of build-up to something, but it feels twisted at the same time. It's just a unique way he has in fleshing out the characters within the movie without losing the pacing of the movie. His latest movies Split 2016, and Glass 2019, sort of look disturbing when you watch it.

One of his movies, Split, 2016, involves a kidnapped girls from a crazy man who had 23 personalities, and shows the kidnap. I was introduced to Anya Taylor-Joy, and looked at other movies she acted in, and also discovered Thoroughbreads (2017) from this. In Thoroughbreads she was a co-conspirator with another girl (who had a mental impairment of having no emotions) and discuss how to kill her step-father. Again, a disturbing type of movie involving Anya Taylor-Joy that started with her working with Shymalan, lol!

I've seen almost all of Shymalan's movies in theaters except for Six Sense, The Village and The Visit, and The Last Airbender. This is one director, along with Chris Nolan, that I wouldn't want to miss their movies if I can help it.

The last Shymalan movie I saw was Glass in 2019. It was seen at Fairview mall in the largest wide-screen they had. I've had a very intense interest in watching a wide-screen movie, where the screen was actually shaped wide so you don't get that letterbox (black on top and bottom of the screen) inside the theater itself! I picked a seat near the center back of the theater where I had a field of view where it felt very immersive. Wasn't able to sleep that night.

I feel this director takes allot of creative risks to his work. The Happening I saw in theater in 2008. Again it was a great movie with me, but panned by critics. You see that Shymalan charm in the work. The character, dialogue and atmosphere and story is just very weird.

The funniest of his works is 'Lady in the Water, 2006. This is the best. He makes a movie where someone is supposed to inspire someone to write something that will change the world. A mysterious lady that's some mythical creature. But guess who that person this creature has to inspire is? THE DIRECTOR SHYMALAN HIMSELF, lol!!!! (She inspired him to make this movie you just paid and wasted your time to see, lol!) That was so retarded I even laugh thinking I actually visited a cinema to watch that because it's so stupid. He has a scene where one of the mythical monsters gobbles up his film critics:

The best horror movie where the victim is a movie critic. Shymalan always has a rift with the critics.

Last edited:

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nerve was a fun light-hearted movie even though the core story could have been much darker because it involves elements of the dark web and paid voyeurism (which on the dark web usually involves violence).

The movie also had some fun songs.
That reminds me of Unfriended (2014), and Unfriended: Dark Web (2018). The first one was great watching in the basement.
Did you like those?

Xenom0rph

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That reminds me of Unfriended (2014), and Unfriended: Dark Web (2018). The first one was great watching in the basement.
Did you like those?
Haven't seen those yet because the title made me think it was just some dumb teen scream movie, but I might have to check it out if it's a good scary movie.....

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For vintage atmosphere:
Eraserhead
Carnival of Souls

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
The only "horror" movies for me are chick flicks.

Everything else is fun and interesting.

Lynx nkaf

Banned
Reaction score
Just came back from viewing "No Mercy" 2019 (in the basement). It's a Black wrongful conviction movie from William Mcmillian that was overturned in 1993. It's the second time this year I look at this movie.

Yes, I will keep your above suggestion in mind. Unless there is a very upbeat end credit song, then you need to make a break somehow.

I do not think he's too slow. I like Shymalan's style of direction. I just think he's weird-wired somehow and it comes out in his film. It's like it has this slow / drama philosophical type of build-up to something, but it feels twisted at the same time. It's just a unique way he has in fleshing out the characters within the movie without losing the pacing of the movie. His latest movies Split 2016, and Glass 2019, sort of look disturbing when you watch it.

One of his movies, Split, 2016, involves a kidnapped girls from a crazy man who had 23 personalities, and shows the kidnap. I was introduced to Anya Taylor-Joy, and looked at other movies she acted in, and also discovered Thoroughbreads (2017) from this. In Thoroughbreads she was a co-conspirator with another girl (who had a mental impairment of having no emotions) and discuss how to kill her step-father. Again, a disturbing type of movie involving Anya Taylor-Joy that started with her working with Shymalan, lol!

I've seen almost all of Shymalan's movies in theaters except for Six Sense, The Village and The Visit, and The Last Airbender. This is one director, along with Chris Nolan, that I wouldn't want to miss their movies if I can help it.

The last Shymalan movie I saw was Glass in 2019. It was seen at Fairview mall in the largest wide-screen they had. I've had a very intense interest in watching a wide-screen movie, where the screen was actually shaped wide so you don't get that letterbox (black on top and bottom of the screen) inside the theater itself! I picked a seat near the center back of the theater where I had a field of view where it felt very immersive. Wasn't able to sleep that night.

I feel this director takes allot of creative risks to his work. The Happening I saw in theater in 2008. Again it was a great movie with me, but panned by critics. You see that Shymalan charm in the work. The character, dialogue and atmosphere and story is just very weird.

The funniest of his works is 'Lady in the Water, 2006. This is the best. He makes a movie where someone is supposed to inspire someone to write something that will change the world. A mysterious lady that's some mythical creature. But guess who that person this creature has to inspire is? THE DIRECTOR SHYMALAN HIMSELF, lol!!!! (She inspired him to make this movie you just paid and wasted your time to see, lol!) That was so retarded I even laugh thinking I actually visited a cinema to watch that because it's so stupid. He has a scene where one of the mythical monsters gobbles up his film critics:

The best horror movie where the victim is a movie critic. Shymalan always has a rift with the critics.
Shymalan sounds so good. I remember Lady in the Water and it was clever and good. I'll be sure to watch more of his work including Glass.
My family asked me not to watch horror movies by myself out of concern. Lol!!!

My reactions scared them more than the movie sometimes, so they said. lol, lol.
I concentrate deeply and focus when watching movies, especially horror.

Jack12345

Banned
Reaction score
Japanese performance artist Kazuo Ono doing a Butoh dance. I find sh1t like that creepy and disturbing in an interesting way...

Japanese movies are crazy. No effects. They have some of the best horror scenes (not movies) that I dnt remember cause I no more watching horror movies because they're just stvpid. Yet the Ringu was crazzzzy when I was a child and that stvpid girl was chasing me for years. Aliens the first also good. The less effects the better

Lookatu

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Horror can mean several things to several people. Gore, scary, disturbing, etc.

Some are good in just shock value but not much of anything else but still worth watching for some horror fans.

With that said, there are some great reco's above but here are some more that I remember off the top of my head for various reasons which you may or may not be a fan of.

SAW series
Hostel 1,2
The Collector, The Collection
Hills Have Eyes 1,2 uncut version
Any of the Robb Zombie movies like House of 1000 corpses
Texas Chainsaw massacre series(some better than others)
Hellraiser(earlier parts better)
The Human Centipede 1,2,3 (low budget artsy film that is pretty out there)
Battle Royale (original Japanese version has interesting concept)
Halloween(original first couple parts)
Friday the 13th(only the first couple parts)

There's a lot more I'm sure I'm forgetting...

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've seen almost all of Shymalan's movies in theaters except for Six Sense, The Village and The Visit, and The Last Airbender.
I've seen all his movies. Signs and The Village are my favorites of his, although I know a lot of people hate those. I thought Lady in the Water was horrible though.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The original texas chainsaw movie was shot on rented equipment and a tiny budget. It has been attributed to creating the often repeated scene of the big scary villian chasing the victim in a slow, lumbering way. The Halloween movies did a lot of that. It was so common and cliche that stand up comedians made fun of it. "How does a guy so slow always catch everyone?"

soulforge

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Holy crap... All this talk about horror movies & nobody mentions without a doubt one of the greatest, scariest & masterfully made horror films of ALL TIME

Yes IMO it's a modern day masterpiece, with so many plot twists & insanely intense moments.

Not to mention how beautifuly this film was shot.

South Korean horror at it's finest.. You must watch this film guys & for fuk sake, do not watch it dubbed in English.. Watch it in the original Korean language with subtitles.

THE WAILING

Xenom0rph

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Holy crap... All this talk about horror movies & nobody mentions without a doubt one of the greatest, scariest & masterfully made horror films of ALL TIME

Yes IMO it's a modern day masterpiece, with so many plot twists & insanely intense moments.

Not to mention how beautifuly this film was shot.

South Korean horror at it's finest.. You must watch this film guys & for fuk sake, do not watch it dubbed in English.. Watch it in the original Korean language with subtitles.

THE WAILING

I saw The Wailing and wasn't fazed by it, I may need to see it a second time. It's on Amazon Prime Video right now so I might check it out again.

Xenom0rph

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Actually, an underrated gem is Oculus..... A lot of people didn't like it but I thought it was creepy and surreal. It has that Lovecraftian atmosphere of "fear of the unknown"

It also perfectly captures the feeling of "evil is terrifying because it cannot be understood nor does it make sense, evil just is....."

b6af88698d492f3d34ede3f9da4ff653a52f8d34.jpg

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I saw The Wailing and wasn't fazed by it, I may need to see it a second time. It's on Amazon Prime Video right now so I might check it out again.
I haven't seen it, but it's also free on Crackle for whoever wants to watch it. The trailer looked good.

Black Widow Void

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Personally, I'm more a fan of the drive-in horror flicks (William Castle productions, films with John Carradine etc..)

I've got a hunch that the majority of forum readers will be into the above about as much as they'd enjoy watching a subtitled film.

Although my suggestion might seem "too old" and yes, it does have subtitles, I think it really holds up. Actually, I found the movie to be rather disturbing, but that seems to be what people want in a horror film.

"At Midnight I Take Your Soul" with Coffin Joe