Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Home Gym - bought some new plates...

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
From Facebook marketplace. I don't have Facebook but I made one years ago for Bumble/Tinder (it didn't let you sign up with that or phone number back in the day). Decided to buy some cheap weights per KG I could get and made some offers.

Now there's absolutely no reason for me to go to the gym anymore. My home gym might not be as sophisticated as a real gym, but I can work out consistently for 1-2 hours in my lunch break (work from home 3-4 days a week). My only issue was my weights weren't heavy enough so I was going up to 20-25 reps on my bench press, squats, calf raises, hip thrusts etc.

I drove 30 minutes to some dudes house and bought some very very cheap weights on Monday. Tbf I bought everything dirt cheap so it all has sell-on value. Been working out this week in the 8-12 rep range, my whole body has been hurting.

I might not get the complete isolation of a machine, but I make up for that in core/other area stability that machines don't provide. I've been going to my local gym (15 min drive) for the heavy bench, squats, deadlift and calf raise and just not feeling as focused or optimising my time. Travel, getting ready, wasting time, waiting for things to be available, distractions etc.

I think the main benefit is the consistency, 5-6 days per week since last year. I even use my rest time to send emails/work on my laptop.

I can't help but think I'm missing something, like why doesn't everyone just invest in heavy weights/equipment and do it at home (providing space isn't an issue)? If I had a gym 5 minutes down the road I would probably just go there but the closest gym is trash, cheap and way too many people (I can only really workout in the afternoon 12-2pm).

corsica

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I thought about buying a Rogue rack. It costs around $1200 and you can use for squat, shoulder press, bench press (with a bench), deadlift and pull-ups. Olympic bar + plates might be another $500.

Don’t use a lot of space and you can disassemble if you move out. In theory, it’ll last forever.

You can call a buddy to train but in the end I’m not sure you can keep the same motivation as seeing hot girls around.

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
From Facebook marketplace. I don't have Facebook but I made one years ago for Bumble/Tinder (it didn't let you sign up with that or phone number back in the day). Decided to buy some cheap weights per KG I could get and made some offers.

Now there's absolutely no reason for me to go to the gym anymore. My home gym might not be as sophisticated as a real gym, but I can work out consistently for 1-2 hours in my lunch break (work from home 3-4 days a week). My only issue was my weights weren't heavy enough so I was going up to 20-25 reps on my bench press, squats, calf raises, hip thrusts etc.

I drove 30 minutes to some dudes house and bought some very very cheap weights on Monday. Tbf I bought everything dirt cheap so it all has sell-on value. Been working out this week in the 8-12 rep range, my whole body has been hurting.

I might not get the complete isolation of a machine, but I make up for that in core/other area stability that machines don't provide. I've been going to my local gym (15 min drive) for the heavy bench, squats, deadlift and calf raise and just not feeling as focused or optimising my time. Travel, getting ready, wasting time, waiting for things to be available, distractions etc.

I think the main benefit is the consistency, 5-6 days per week since last year. I even use my rest time to send emails/work on my laptop.

I can't help but think I'm missing something, like why doesn't everyone just invest in heavy weights/equipment and do it at home (providing space isn't an issue)? If I had a gym 5 minutes down the road I would probably just go there but the closest gym is trash, cheap and way too many people (I can only really workout in the afternoon 12-2pm).
You're alone if there's any kind of injury accident (assuming you live by yourself)

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
My home gym *just* fits in a one car garage but kind spills over a bit. I’ve worked out at home since time immemorial- only every used commercial gyms when traveling. Hate the scene.

BMX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's how I came up after I graduated high school. The progress was very high, while the distractions were kept to a minimum. Home gyms are your friend. Wow.

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You're alone if there's any kind of injury accident (assuming you live by yourself)
I am lucky enough to have a spare room I turned it into an office/home gym (used to house my drumkit/clothes). I want an exercise bike or treadmill in there but struggling for space so will just keep walking outside for cardio.

Yeah that's what I thought, but you just need to be careful, there are dangers everywhere in life. Not having a spotter/someone around definitely sets you back, but the freedom/time optimisation I believe makes it worth it.

Even if I am not feeling motivated I tell myself "just 1 set of each exercise" and I end up doing my full workout and feel so glad I did.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
My home gym consists of a Bowflex machine I have had for a long time(300 lbs of resistance rods) that includes the leg and lat extension, heavy TorroBands with 440 lbs of resistance, some various thickness yoga Elite Fitness bands I use for leg exercises and at times Triceps/Shoulder exercises, an elliptical machine for winter months, a sandbag with up to 200 lbs of sand for sandbag workouts, a Stealth Core Trainer and a pull up bar. BFR bands that I do one 5-10 minute session after my leg/arm workouts for the week.

Also have a 60 lb weighted vest I use for hiking/hill climbs/walking and sometimes my actual workouts and some Agogie resistance pants that have resistance bands inside the pant legs that adds about 40 lbs of resistance to movements that I wear for leg days and while doing walks and hill climbs.

My joints feel amazing since I dropped the free weights and dumbbells, likely will never pick one up again.

LTG71

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Bought a Rogue Squat Stand, flat bar, curl bar and 300 lbs of plates during the pandemic. Excellent quality products. Also got a few of their bands. Lost one side of my garage but can still park our van inside. ~$1800, compared to $2000 every year for a family membership at our neighborhood club. Nice to just walk into the garage and get it done. My kids are in high school sports and buddies come over to workout with them. It’s been nothing but good for everyone. Wife bought herself a treadmill and I have a bike trainer. Watched the game last night while doing my routine. All that is missing is a beer fridge.

A great hack to find gym mats was at Tractor Supply Co. 3x4x1/2” thick rubber stall mats for horses for under $40. The markup was ridiculous from gym outlets.

IKO69

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Liked reading through this one. I was looking at the Rogue products before I got the modular rack from Force-Usa. I bought it during the pandemic when they closed all the gyms. My family growing up had one of those Nautilus home gyms in the basement and I had wanted something similar for quite some time. I had been meaning to convert my garage into a gym and the shut downs finally gave me the reason to do it. My father came down and we both did it together. I have the rack, an elliptical machine, a speed bag and one of those free standing dummies I use for kick boxing.