Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Hit a two plate bench today

darksprezzatura

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Seemed like I was stuck at 200 for months.
I'm a beginner with about 1 year of proper training and nutrition.

Today was a rest day, I just went to the gym to stretch.

Warm up sets became working sets and I felt strong.

Things rarely go as planned. The other times I planned to hit a PR failed.

Supplements I used before the bench: beta alanine, creatine monohydrate, citrulline malate, caffeine, multivitamin, probiotic, fish oil.

Pre-workout meal: Rice and chicken+ protein shake

This is by no means anything to brag about but for a guy 300+ lbs over two years back in a huge 500 calorie deficit since, I gained strength and mass while losing over 100 lbs in fat.

Feel free to comment if you have any questions.

Current stats: 6'2 + 200 lbs + 17% body fat

Lone Philosopher

Don Juan
Reaction score
Congrats bro, 225lbs is a huge milestone in my opinion. I've seen struggling with my bench as of late. Stuck at 185lbs for working sets for the last month or so. What worked for you to get your weight up?

DEEZEDBRAH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Seemed like I was stuck at 200 for months.
I'm a beginner with about 1 year of proper training and nutrition.

Today was a rest day, I just went to the gym to stretch.

Warm up sets became working sets and I felt strong.

Things rarely go as planned. The other times I planned to hit a PR failed.

Supplements I used before the bench: beta alanine, creatine monohydrate, citrulline malate, caffeine, multivitamin, probiotic, fish oil.

Pre-workout meal: Rice and chicken+ protein shake

This is by no means anything to brag about but for a guy 300+ lbs over two years back in a huge 500 calorie deficit since, I gained strength and mass while losing over 100 lbs in fat.

Feel free to comment if you have any questions.

Current stats: 6'2 + 200 lbs + 17% body fat

Not sure what conversion exactly but big ups. I am jealous of you in the gym. It's been a year and we're on nationAL lockdown. I don't think it would be coming back.

DEEZEDBRAH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Congrats bro, 225lbs is a huge milestone in my opinion. I've seen struggling with my bench as of late. Stuck at 185lbs for working sets for the last month or so. What worked for you to get your weight up?
I breakthrough plateaus by changing up my workout range. Hypertrophy to strength train to power lift. So 3 working sets 8-12reps. At plateau technique is helpful shifting to strength train 5 sets of 5. The next hail Mary play is power lift 1-3rep max for final week. 6-8;week transition gradual but incremental every week. A few kg is manageable every week pending age, testosterone, sleep, diet, etc. The mind ****kkk is dropping reps for strength and putting up new PRs. At first, it's relative because you are doing essentially the same thing. But if you break a previous PR it's tapping into that winner effect.

What works for me doesn't necessarily guarantee that it's for you. Know thyself. See what works for you and what your body responds to from training. You can do 21 and me plus pay to have it transcribed to know your best bet for training.

darksprezzatura

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not sure what conversion exactly but big ups. I am jealous of you in the gym. It's been a year and we're on nationAL lockdown. I don't think it would be coming back.
2 plates ~ 225 ~ 102 kgs.

If I was in your place, I'd max out on weighted pull-ups every alternate day. Get those wings flaring.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I breakthrough plateaus by changing up my workout range. Hypertrophy to strength train to power lift. So 3 working sets 8-12reps. At plateau technique is helpful shifting to strength train 5 sets of 5. The next hail Mary play is power lift 1-3rep max for final week. 6-8;week transition gradual but incremental every week. A few kg is manageable every week pending age, testosterone, sleep, diet, etc. The mind ****kkk is dropping reps for strength and putting up new PRs. At first, it's relative because you are doing essentially the same thing. But if you break a previous PR it's tapping into that winner effect.

What works for me doesn't necessarily guarantee that it's for you. Know thyself. See what works for you and what your body responds to from training. You can do 21 and me plus pay to have it transcribed to know your best bet for training.
Training for hyper trophy doesn’t help for strength PRs. If you want to hit PRs, decrease to rep range to 2-3 reps maximum. Deload when plateaus persist for several workouts.

Most natural lifters do max workouts too frequently. Good reading on the topic is Practical Programming by Mark Rippetoe.

If I was in your place, I'd max out on weighted pull-ups every alternate day. Get those wings flaring.
Nice work that’s what I bench for reps. Chin ups are usually better than pull-ups due to bicep activation and being able to use heavier weight.

DEEZEDBRAH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

When my gym was open, some prick stole the weighted belt and chain. One of my mats bought a setup for home. Pull up dip rack station. Mine is more like Rollos then that. Thanks for the tip.

darksprezzatura

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
~ 15x1, 95% RM
~ 5x3, 90% RM
+ Some hypertrophy work

Twice a week.

Carb loading on chest days

Equal importance to all other body parts, 6-8 rep strength/hypertrophy mixed training.

Back, triceps, legs, delta all play their roles in bench.

Proper form and bar path videos helped.

PS: Regular powerlifting styke bench bar path shouldn't be a straight line

darksprezzatura

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Training for hyper trophy doesn’t help for strength PRs. If you want to hit PRs, decrease to rep range to 2-3 reps maximum. Deload when plateaus persist for several workouts.

Most natural lifters do max workouts too frequently. Good reading on the topic is Practical Programming by Mark Rippetoe.

Nice work that’s what I bench for reps. Chin ups are usually better than pull-ups due to bicep activation and being able to use heavier weight.
What helped you to bench 225 for reps. I can just squeeze out one atm.

TheProspect

Reaction score
Years of lifting. And by reps I mean I can do a triple. 225 is an impressive bench. Also, what is your weight?

225 is not so impressive for a 200+ Lb male...
Yeah I feel bench press is one of those exercises that most people are unable to make gains rapidly on. Takes times and requires some kind of a plan.

I also recommend Mark Rippletoe's Starting Strength. I used it during off-seasons back when I played football.

I think it's also important to realize that different individuals have different areas where they are naturally stronger at than others, both in regards to muscle groups and to particular exercises. For example, I have naturally strong legs and a great grip strength. For my barbell squats and deadlifts, after factoring in beginner gains, I have a much higher floor than most other people on those exercises. Chest on the other hand takes some intentionality in order for me to make significant gains (both strength and aesthetically).

darksprezzatura

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Years of lifting. And by reps I mean I can do a triple. 225 is an impressive bench. Also, what is your weight?

225 is not so impressive for a 200+ Lb male...
Yea I weigh 200 atm. Still learning.

Been an year since I started lifting. Couple of months bench pressing. I used to do dumbell presses earlier. Now I mix it up.

darksprezzatura

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah I feel bench press is one of those exercises that most people are unable to make gains rapidly on. Takes times and requires some kind of a plan.

I also recommend Mark Rippletoe's Starting Strength. I used it during off-seasons back when I played football.

I think it's also important to realize that different individuals have different areas where they are naturally stronger at than others, both in regards to muscle groups and to particular exercises. For example, I have naturally strong legs and a great grip strength. For my barbell squats and deadlifts, after factoring in beginner gains, I have a much higher floor than most other people on those exercises. Chest on the other hand takes some intentionality in order for me to make significant gains (both strength and aesthetically).
You're correct about genetics and Starting Strength being bible.

It seems way too focused on the three core lifts though.

Personally, I like to mix it up, plus I'm reading 48 laws a chapter a day so I'll do a detailed analysis soon. Thanks for that re-emphasis.

Youtube ftw!

For nutrition, I check out Greg Doucette, Dereck from More Plates, More Dates.

For form and training, John Meadows has lots of gems.

I get a bag of low cal popcorn late night, and just watch their videos.

Deadlift and squats kind of scare me with all the horror stories wrt spinal injuries I've seen/read, maybe studying starting strength properly should be a pre requisite to doing them right.

TheProspect

Reaction score
Yea I weigh 200 atm. Still learning.

Been an year since I started lifting. Couple of months bench pressing. I used to do dumbell presses earlier. Now I mix it up.
Your goal is to get a stronger bench then, yeah?

You mentioned you were previously 300+ lbs and now 200. I would expect someone of your weight to be able to bench much more than one rep at 225 after a few months of bench press. Sometimes losing weight too quickly can impact your strength and power.

I recommend either a deload phase or to take a full week off of bench press, and come back with a plan.

Maybe try out StrongLift's 5x5, and perhaps add in any ancillary exercises you want for aesthetic reasons. I've personally made bench press gains when I took a week off after hitting a plateau and getting on that StrongLifts program (which was the program I trained for football, not Starting Strength, I got confused).

I also recommend training grip strength via farmer walks and double overhand grip deadlifts with no chalk or wristwraps. Many people don't mention it, but a stronger grip will help out all your lifts, especially back exercises. And a stronger back helps your bench, specifically the eccentric portion.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Maybe try out StrongLift's 5x5, and perhaps add in any ancillary exercises you want for aesthetic reasons. I've personally made bench press gains when I took a week off after hitting a plateau and getting on that StrongLifts program (which was the program I trained for football, not Starting Strength, I got confused).
Stronglifts got me started. Great program. Though I find weighted chin ups to be a lot more useful than barbell rows. Barbell Rows even when done correctly are still an ancillary lift.

darksprezzatura

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your goal is to get a stronger bench then, yeah?

You mentioned you were previously 300+ lbs and now 200. I would expect someone of your weight to be able to bench much more than one rep at 225 after a few months of bench press. Sometimes losing weight too quickly can impact your strength and power.

I recommend either a deload phase or to take a full week off of bench press, and come back with a plan.

I also recommend training grip strength via farmer walks and double overhand grip deadlifts with no chalk or wristwraps. Many people don't mention it, but a stronger grip will help out all your lifts, especially back exercises. And a stronger back helps your bench, specifically the eccentric portion.
Stronglifts got me started. Great program. Though I find weighted chin ups to be a lot more useful than barbell rows. Barbell Rows even when done correctly are still an ancillary lift.
You both seem well experienced and recommend Stronglift's program. Social proof enough.

I'll check it out tonight.

Yes, I weigh 200 lbs right now, since losing 100 lbs over the course of 1-1.5 years.

A 500-700 calorie deficit now since I started off with 300.

I did continue to make small strength gains despite such a long term deficit.

Once I reach nearer to 10% bodyfat, like say 12ish, ill go for a 4 week mini bulk, hope my bench would increase with adequate carbs and calorie surplus.

Adding bench on a deficit is tough as nails.

Right now I'm definitely concerned about metabolic downregulation. Might need to take you up on your suggestion of a deload week, with a slightly lower calorie deficit.

Especially with a slight shoulder injury I made a thread about.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It’s better to get strong first then try to lose the weight afterwards with all the added muscle. Squat centric programs such as SL 5X5 and Starting Strength are extremely calorie intensive especially once the intermediate phase is reached.

For a 200 lb male, 225 lb is not that impressive. You should aim for 315 lb (3 plates) as a goal. For context, my 225 lb bench is at a BW of 165-170. My lifetime 1RM was 260. I’m mostly ectomorph (I have pics in colas thread)

Last edited:

darksprezzatura

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It’s better to get strong first then try to lose the weight afterwards with all the added muscle. Squat centric programs such as SL 5X5 and Starting Strength are extremely calorie intensive especially once the intermediate phase is reached.

For a 200 lb male, 225 lb is not that impressive. You should aim for 315 lb (3 plates) as a goal. For context, my 225 lb bench is at a BW of 165-170. My lifetime 1RM was 260. I’m mostly ectomorph (I have pics in colas thread)
Yes, that makes sense but I've also read studies which show that insulin sensitivity is high at a low body fat percentage ~ easier to build muscle.

Apart from that it would be psychologically very satisfying to see myself vascular and lean with abs popping. I just see faded outlines of the upper two at ~ 17% tbf, because I've always been 25+ all my life.

My aim is to get shredded to ~ 10% tbf and then bulk till 12-15% tbf and repeat.

Maintain strength as much as possible during any cut.

It's a long grind. Not fretting with individual steps. Just putting in the work consistently.

I'll still study SL 5X5. Thanks for this!

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes, that makes sense but I've also read studies which show that insulin sensitivity is high at a low body fat percentage ~ easier to build muscle.

Apart from that it would be psychologically very satisfying to see myself vascular and lean with abs popping. I just see faded outlines of the upper two at ~ 17% tbf, because I've always been 25+ all my life.

My aim is to get shredded to ~ 10% tbf and then bulk till 12-15% tbf and repeat.

Maintain strength as much as possible during any cut.

It's a long grind. Not fretting with individual steps. Just putting in the work consistently.

I'll still study SL 5X5. Thanks for this!
Trust me. Losing weight before adding muscle is counterproductive. That’s the long way. Get strong first. Muscles are extraordinary efficient calorie burners. You may find once you are squatting 300 lbs for reps you’ll only need to dedicate weeks to cutting as opposed to months or years...

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score

The ultimate plateau buster is doing 4 weeks of static holds on big lifts...you will blow your old PRs away after starting back up afterwards.