Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

HIIT for Fat Loss

amazingswayze

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Any of you guys have experience with HIIT?
I'm trying to take my regimen to the next level and I think it's about time I swap out distance running for HIIT sprints. I used to run 1 mile at varying speeds before lifting (anywhere from 6mph to 8mph).

Today I did some HIIT on the treadmill post-workout (Chest,Triceps,Abs).
5 intervals.

10mph - 30 sec
3mph-30 sec

10.5mph - 30 sec
3mph - 30 sec

11mph - 30 sec
3mph - 30 sec

11.5mph - 30 sec
3mph - 30 sec

12mph - 30 sec
3 mph - 30 sec

I plan on doing sprints mostly, as I'm not into cycling, and I want to become a better runner. Right now I'm 5'7, 160 lbs, 15% bf trying to cut down to 150 and see how I look/feel.

Do you guys have any experience or suggestions on how to maximize HIIT training, combined with lifting 6x a week?

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have to do it as part of a sport or game, just to stay interested. Full court basketball is one example. I presume soccer and swimming can be good workouts. If there is a wrestling club you can find, that is very intense cardio. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is great as a workout, but only for about a year or two, until you get good at it, because then it doesn't take much physical effort to win.

Carb timing is a fairly popular idea. It was meant for wrestlers who are trying to maximize lean mass. You consume your carbs 4-6 hours after your high-intensity workout. During that time, they are more likely to be converted to muscle than fat.

amazingswayze

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have to do it as part of a sport or game, just to stay interested. Full court basketball is one example. I presume soccer and swimming can be good workouts. If there is a wrestling club you can find, that is very intense cardio. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is great as a workout, but only for about a year or two, until you get good at it, because then it doesn't take much physical effort to win.

Carb timing is a fairly popular idea. It was meant for wrestlers who are trying to maximize lean mass. You consume your carbs 4-6 hours after your high-intensity workout. During that time, they are more likely to be converted to muscle than fat.
I totally agree with you on the sports aspect, I just didn't know that sports were considered a form of HIIT, but it makes sense. I actually really enjoy playing half-court basketball every now and then, it's just hard to find enough people for a full-court game.

Also I'm really trying to dial-in with my diet, I've been focusing on carb timing, mostly breakfast and post-workout. Nothing but black coffee, tea, or water. (8 oz skim milk post-workout with whey).

Tell me if this is a decent diet for cutting. I live on a college campus.

Breakfast; 2 fried eggs w/ cheddar cheese and bacon, 1/2 cup plain oats, coffee.

Lunch; Usually some type of entree (vegetables,carbs,protein) My school is only allowed to give small portions, like 4 oz at most of protein.

Dinner; Grilled chicken salad (Lettuce,black olives,black beans, olive oil, 4 oz grilled chicken). I also grab a small plate with vegetables and another serving of meat or carbs.

My daily caloric intake has been roughly 2500 cal and my TDEE has been 3200 cal a day, according to my fitbit readings consistently these last two weeks.

I'm just trying to keep the portions small, and making the most out of what I eat. No junk, no useless carbs, just nutrients.

I'm hoping HIIT training makes a noticeable difference in my physique/conditioning. I'm going to mix it up this week and report back.

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Any of you guys have experience with HIIT?
I'm trying to take my regimen to the next level and I think it's about time I swap out distance running for HIIT sprints. I used to run 1 mile at varying speeds before lifting (anywhere from 6mph to 8mph).

Today I did some HIIT on the treadmill post-workout (Chest,Triceps,Abs).
5 intervals.

10mph - 30 sec
3mph-30 sec

10.5mph - 30 sec
3mph - 30 sec

11mph - 30 sec
3mph - 30 sec

11.5mph - 30 sec
3mph - 30 sec

12mph - 30 sec
3 mph - 30 sec

I plan on doing sprints mostly, as I'm not into cycling, and I want to become a better runner. Right now I'm 5'7, 160 lbs, 15% bf trying to cut down to 150 and see how I look/feel.

Do you guys have any experience or suggestions on how to maximize HIIT training, combined with lifting 6x a week?
You should never lift 6x a week. Ever. You are simply spinning your wheels doing this. This just shows you have no idea what you are doing and how the body actually works.

HIIT is highly effective for fat burning, specifically directly after lifting weights. It causes a huge burst of growth hormone to be released. The research shows 5-7 minutes of true HIIT sends growth hormone skyrocketing post lifting and this should be all the cardio you need to do to see good results.

amazingswayze

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You should never lift 6x a week. Ever. You are simply spinning your wheels doing this. This just shows you have no idea what you are doing and how the body actually works.

HIIT is highly effective for fat burning, specifically directly after lifting weights. It causes a huge burst of growth hormone to be released. The research shows 5-7 minutes of true HIIT sends growth hormone skyrocketing post lifting and this should be all the cardio you need to do to see good results.
Why should I not be lifting 6x a week? Of course it is borderline overtraining but if I am trying to lose fat, it's impossible for me to pack on muscle mass anyway. So it's not like I'm killing my gains because there are pretty much no gains to be had when restricting calories... Right?

I'm breaking even at best but I feel totally fine. What do you suggest then?

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Why should I not be lifting 6x a week? Of course it is borderline overtraining but if I am trying to lose fat, it's impossible for me to pack on muscle mass anyway. So it's not like I'm killing my gains because there are pretty much no gains to be had when restricting calories... Right?

I'm breaking even at best but I feel totally fine. What do you suggest then?
Dude, it doesn't work like that. Because some is good, doesn't equate to more is better...it just isn't the way it works. This isn't like mining gold...you don't get more out of it the more you do.

Your body grows when you rest, not when you work out. Working out provides the stimulus for growing. Think of it as if you have to tear one building down and then rebuild another one where that stood.

Lifting is tearing the building down. Resting is building it back up.

Your body needs roughly equal amounts of time to build it as it does to tear it down. So you tear down a piece of the wall today, your body starts trying to rebuild it stronger. Before it can rebuild it, you turn around and tear more of the wall down. Undaunted, your body attempts to begin rebuilding that again...only to have more torn down before it can begin rebuilding it properly.

Basically, you put yourself in a constant state of rebuilding which is absolutely pointless at best, destructive at worst. Not only is this very stressful for the body, causing cortisol to be chronically high after a while, it serves no real purpose. You'd be far between off lifting 3-4 days a week and get far better results.

It's not impossible for anyone to pack on muscle, you are simply going about it the wrong way in a way that will never get you where you want to go to. You need to learn how to work with your hormones instead of against them. This is the ultimate way to work against your hormones.

amazingswayze

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah so I've decided to cut my lifting sessions from 6x a week to 3x which I will begin starting this upcoming Monday. I just incorporated HIIT into my routine after lifting and I did that 4 times this week. It really kicked my ass and for the first time I am starting to feel overtrained. I feel an immense fatigue and lack of desire to do things. For that reason, I'm cutting back, going to focus on quality over quantity, get my diet in check, and give my body proper sleep and rest.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There's really no need to exercise more than 3Xs per week. I do lifting twice per week and a long bike ride (10 miles or so) on the other day. My body fat hasn't been over 9% in about 7 years.