Guitar social proof

Gonzalo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hello. I've been reading lately a bunch of posts of guys in HS or wherever that are being harrassed by bullies. A reality for many kids. Opinions on how to deal with these bullies are conflicting: kick his ass, don't kick his ass, bring a gun, walk it up, not to mention the all resolving "bulk up". And kid doesn't have anything concrete to work with.

Now, going back to my experience in elementary and high school, I remember never being harassed by bullies, whose presence was HUGE where I studied (in Latin America). Now, I'm not the jock type, and back then I wasn't into martial arts, but I had something to my favor: I played the guitar.

Believe it or not, when I brought the guitar to school, some time after I was proficient at it, people were flocking to see the "show" every recess. That includes the bullies and their circles. And believe it or not, when you ask someone what his or her favorite tune is, and you reproduce it right then, they feel certain respect for you. Actually, a "gang" of bullies asked me every now and then if anybody was trying to start **** with me, so they could take care of them. There was never need, thankfully.

Now, I'm not trying to say "learn guitar so yo can be the clown and not get your ass kicked", but I'm rather giving you some food for thought. When you discipline yourself in something like music, and get good at it, it is VERY difficult to get poeple trying to disrespect you. If you don't have a hobby already or if you want a new one, think of giving an instrument a try. Not one of the reasons why I make music, but the benefits with the ladies should be more than obvious.

G

kiz

Don Juan
Reaction score
i wasn't sure where you were going with this at first, but based on how you interpret it, this could be helpful to some people. good post!

eX-MdMa

Reaction score
I play guitar.Mostly Radiohead and Oasis songs and some Alice In Chains.I sing hell good too.You should play guitar and hit the gym and you will win my friend.

Austizzle

Don Juan
Reaction score
This post isn't just for playing the guitar. Teach yourself something new and get good at it. People will respect you if you are better than them in some areas. For example, basketball players get respect because they are good at basketball. Coaches get respect because they are good coaching.

Take up a physical hobby and get good at it.

Mine is competition Trap/Skeet shooting and Ping Pong.

Practice makes perfect. Devote your spare time to these hobbies whenever you find yourself watching tv/surfing the net aimlessly!

AA