Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

got a new job, very excited but somewhat worried about my health

fakefonzie

Don Juan
Reaction score
Recently I was accepted into my first engineering job, the pay looks great and the benefits are incredible. In this job one of the main components is traveling, I will be spending 10 days on-site working on their projects and 4 days at home relaxing, so the airplane miles will be racked up pretty fast. I like to view myself as a pretty healthy guy, about 10% body fat and a decent amount of lean muscle, I would like to keep it that way but I know that constantly running through airports and hotels while working 10 hour days is not gonna match well with that. Has anyone else traveled a ton while trying to keep physically fit? and are there any tips or rules of thumb you found very useful ( also I am 23 and have no restrictions on what I put in my diet so anything is game)

fakefonzie

Don Juan
Reaction score
Keep the hotel bar food to a minimum.

Be sure you're getting plenty of rest every night.

Purchase a high-quality neck pillow for all those flights.
didn't think about sleep, definitely will look into that!

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Recently I was accepted into my first engineering job, the pay looks great and the benefits are incredible. In this job one of the main components is traveling, I will be spending 10 days on-site working on their projects and 4 days at home relaxing, so the airplane miles will be racked up pretty fast. I like to view myself as a pretty healthy guy, about 10% body fat and a decent amount of lean muscle, I would like to keep it that way but I know that constantly running through airports and hotels while working 10 hour days is not gonna match well with that. Has anyone else traveled a ton while trying to keep physically fit? and are there any tips or rules of thumb you found very useful ( also I am 23 and have no restrictions on what I put in my diet so anything is game)
Keep your diet controlled ( carbs whereever it has to be to keep body fat low ) and 1 hrs of fitness a day no matter what your time looks like. Just do it in the morning to start off the day strong.

No excuses. Time management. Priorities. Be a pro.

BMX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Congrats bro. Drink less alcohol and more water both on the road and at home. Bring your supplements and any necessary meds with you. I always traveled with them because your daily needs do not stop on the go, but your health can definitely crumble if you allow it. Learn some really good bodyweight routines and kettlebell exercises, so you aren't reliant on a single point of failure such as not having access to a typical weight room or a treadmill. Stay committed to it so that you won't mind the idea of cutting out a block of time during your days on the road to dial your fitness in. Immediately after or as soon as you can, go take care of your hygiene and stretch/foam roll, whatever you do. Don't spend too much time in the hotel bar or any bar and go explore what you can, wherever you are. My port visits were memorable because I saw much more than the inside of some bar. Another motivating factor for me was that I was always battling the tape measure (antiquated bodyfat% tests) to retain my job, so I absolutely could not let myself go. Some places I returned to several times for work and it was more acceptable to sit there and drink during those returns, but most of those countries I'll likely never see again.

One trick I heard but never used: phone ahead to the hotel you're staying at and tell them that your room will need to have a mini-fridge because you have prescription medications that need to be kept refrigerated. Then you can just bring a bunch of your pre-prepped meals with you to the hotels.

fakefonzie

Don Juan
Reaction score
Congrats bro. Drink less alcohol and more water both on the road and at home. Bring your supplements and any necessary meds with you. I always traveled with them because your daily needs do not stop on the go, but your health can definitely crumble if you allow it. Learn some really good bodyweight routines and kettlebell exercises, so you aren't reliant on a single point of failure such as not having access to a typical weight room or a treadmill. Stay committed to it so that you won't mind the idea of cutting out a block of time during your days on the road to dial your fitness in. Immediately after or as soon as you can, go take care of your hygiene and stretch/foam roll, whatever you do. Don't spend too much time in the hotel bar or any bar and go explore what you can, wherever you are. My port visits were memorable because I saw much more than the inside of some bar. Another motivating factor for me was that I was always battling the tape measure (antiquated bodyfat% tests) to retain my job, so I absolutely could not let myself go. Some places I returned to several times for work and it was more acceptable to sit there and drink during those returns, but most of those countries I'll likely never see again.

One trick I heard but never used: phone ahead to the hotel you're staying at and tell them that your room will need to have a mini-fridge because you have prescription medications that need to be kept refrigerated. Then you can just bring a bunch of your pre-prepped meals with you to the hotels.
I really like that idea! ill give it a shot, also I have one of those pull up bars that hangs on your doorframe, should I take that with me or would I just look like a dumbass? most of my traveling will be within the US and I will be staying in the same spot for about 10 days at a time so paying like 30 dollars for a 1 month membership at a local gym just might be worth it too

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I’ve been traveling consistently for work for almost a decade. Most restaurant food is literal poison and will show up in your bloodwork if not careful. They fry most things with reused grease.

Avoid the appetizer menu completely. Do not order fried entrees (chicken fingers / wings or breaded anything). When in doubt, salad entrees are usually a safe choice. Add grilled chicken or salmon to make them more filling. Water is the best beverage. No juice or soda. If you choose alcohol on the road don’t get the mixed drinks. Wine or hard liquor on the rocks are the best options.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Make good choices at the restaurants you are eating at, limit the alcohol consumption, get up early in the mornings to workout, swim, run, whatever it is you do and don't use travel as an excuse.

Make staying in shape a priority.

Also I would get a set of high quality heavy resistance bands that you can take with you to use...they are super effective, compact to carry and you can pretty much do any exercises you can at the gym with them.

Machine10033

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was in a position for 3 years where I had to travel... it was for ten day stretches. At first I dreaded it... I am very routine oriented so this was a massive change! I actually grew to love the spot... my company gave me travel expenses so... breakfast, lunch and dinner were either egg whites, oats, grilled chicken, veggjes, steak or another meat choice with pasta or rice thrown in. I no longer had to worry about meal prep... I would have a pack of tuna as a snack most days. I would find a decent gym and get my workouts in and when I left my hotel room I had someone cleaning up after me every morning. I met some awesome people on the road those three years and got into amazing shape. It’s all what you make it.

fakefonzie

Don Juan
Reaction score
Make good choices at the restaurants you are eating at, limit the alcohol consumption, get up early in the mornings to workout, swim, run, whatever it is you do and don't use travel as an excuse.

Make staying in shape a priority.

Also I would get a set of high quality heavy resistance bands that you can take with you to use...they are super effective, compact to carry and you can pretty much do any exercises you can at the gym with them.
the resistance bands sound like a great idea!

BMX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I really like that idea! ill give it a shot, also I have one of those pull up bars that hangs on your doorframe, should I take that with me or would I just look like a dumbass? most of my traveling will be within the US and I will be staying in the same spot for about 10 days at a time so paying like 30 dollars for a 1 month membership at a local gym just might be worth it too
Bring some common fvcking sense with you. All of you engineering types had none whatsoever.