Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Do you guys recommend chin ups and pull ups past age 40?

Reaction score
I am debating on buying a pull up/chin up bar for my backyard. At age 40 should I be more concerned with flexibility? Would I be better off with yoga or maybe bike riding or something else?

TheNewStyle123

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
People should be resistance training all throughout their lives! Helps maintain appropriate levels of blood pressure/cholesterol, weight management, prevents plenty of comorbidities/chronic diseases, and helps with mental health/self confidence as well. Especially at age 40 resistance training can help boost testosterone by increasing lean muscle mass.

Alvafe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would more then likely point out you go ot the gym then trying to build things in your home IF you are starting, the act of leaving your home tend to help in creating a habit, also in the start you should have some guidance on what to do, posture and so on, if you already have the habit, have the space, know what to do, and can make it work at home then go ahead, just remeber to take easy at start

Vision88

Don Juan
Reaction score
You definitely should be doing both. You don't need to do a ton of either but at least doing both on daily basis would help create the foundation for the health that you really want in your life.

Exactly what you should be doing depends on your body and the challenges that you have. I recommend doing core exercises and hip flexor yoga to keep your back and legs healthy in the long run.

Machine10033

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am approaching 41 and a staple of my back workouts are pull ups... I do weighted pull ups, chin ups, heavy barbell rows, t bar rows , dead’s abs hyper extensions to exhaustion... all of my friends my age are suffering from minor age related injuries and just a few weeks ago after one too many drinks I took a nose dive down my hardwood steps.... landed square on my back and a55.... slid all the way down the steps and crashed through the wall at the bottom of the steps.... black and blue all over but zero issues with my spine... I thought for sure I would have some issue after that fall!

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dear Max,
I try to do 3 sets of 10 chin ups daily coupled with three sets of 50 Push Ups and three sets of ten Military lifts...I also do half an hour on my weight stack machine alternate days...as I have prosthetic hips I must do twenty minutes on my Road Bike daily,else they seize up!..I try and walk for half an hour up a hill behind my place most days..When I travel I always take my Chest expander...Though a losing battle you must keep trying.

AussieEducator76

Reaction score
I recommend any and all resistance training plus some cardio. After hitting nearly 150kg and a major health scare at 40, I've been working on fixing myself since. At 44 I'm now 95kg and still a work in progress. I'll always be a work in progress and I'm good with that. Resistance training is now part of my life.

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OP, stretch your fingers and crack your knuckles. You'll be putting a lot of pressure on your knuckle joints, and they are huge bitches when ****ed up.

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am debating on buying a pull up/chin up bar for my backyard. At age 40 should I be more concerned with flexibility? Would I be better off with yoga or maybe bike riding or something else?
I do. It's good to be functionally fit and able to move and control your body. So the workout regiment will have cardio ( to develop or maintain the breathing and circulatory systems ), and strength and body weight training. The strength and bodyweight training improves your strength and coordination required for movement. Life is movement. Take care of your life.

Mister_Skinny_Jeanz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
there's 2 guys at work , one semi tall black man 5'10 and in his 50's and ripped , another dude is this short older white guy and i can tell he lifts , idk if these dudes got ripped or stayed ripped but they are older dudes probably older than you and i can tell they lift

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Being well rounded is the key to balance.

Lifting, yoga, pilates, biking, cardio, etc are all good activities but should be combined together in some form to form a well rounded package.

BMX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I hate to keep using David Goggins as a reference, but he's doing all of this stuff and now he is 43 I believe. It definitely is one of the greatest upper body developers I've used. Pull ups are a pretty symbolic exercise when you equate it to him because it's not for the lazy, weak or complacent. He got 4,030 in 24 hours, wtf...

CAPSLOCK BANDIT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I watched my buddy go from b-tits to solid in under 6 months, idk how many a day he was doing, a smaller shorter guy but he was getting his reps in no question... I watched him do months of P90x and he said just doing straight pull ups was a better use of his time.

And yeah, David Goggins is pull up king, dude is like a super crazy athlete, anything he does probably isn't a bad idea just don't hurt yourself

Reactions: BMX

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Pull ups help me with my shoulder health. I injured my left shoulder benching heavy in my late 20s and its never been the same but hanging from a bar and doing pullups have helped alot.

I first noticed they helped alot found some video from a chiropractor where he explained why. One of the things he said is given our primate ancestors we should be doing alot more hanging and swinging than we do. We are built for it like monkeys

DEEZEDBRAH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes. A pair of gymnastic rings is inexpensive. A straight barber tree branch will Do. Stretch. Don't do it weighted. YouTube Fitness Faq. 3-4x a week is good. clean up diet. assuming you aren't fat and reasonably healthy or skinny, you should be good. no health issues.

At 30 I saw the importance of going super sayain. I watched the truth about success. Advice was to get in best shape in mid 30s and maintain into 40s on. Give it a watch.buddy slipped since making it but millions + puss is a recipe for disaster. When was the last Dre album?

I started intermittent fasting before Pandemic. Have a look. Give it a try. 6pack no flex. It's next level.

Don Dark Horse

Don Juan
Reaction score
Pullups and pushups daily. If it's a struggle then GOOD. It shouldn't be easy in the first place. Build up steam. If you can't do 10 pullups/chin-ups, then get a chair to put yourself into the top position and do the negative movement. Start from the top position and move as slowly as you can until your arms are outstretched, in the bottom position. Do a few sets of that negative movement. (I do this at the end of my sets when I physically cannot pull myself up anymore.)