Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Cardio Before Or After Lifting Session?

17 shots

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Very good question. You seem to be the only one who caught that.
It causes biochemical conditions in the body that enhance optimization of a cardio.

Remember how the craze was to go on and on with cardio to burn fat? This was their idea of cardio for fat burn. It’s ridiculous. By breathing through your nose you are actually running at optimized cardio capacity. After time, some people who train this way can run a mile in four and a half minutes.
If you find that you can no longer breathe through your nose and have to breath through your mouth, you are out of the cardio optimization zone. Too fast of a pace for your present cardio condition.

You can read more on this and a better explanation by Mark Sisson in The Primal Blueprint and also in Primal Endurance by Mark Sisson and Brad Kearns. Both were world class athletes.
They have links to the data and proof studies.
So when you get to the point of where you have to start breathing through your mouth, is that when you should stop? Because I usually push myself to power through once this happens

PeasantPlayer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So when you get to the point of where you have to start breathing through your mouth, is that when you should stop? Because I usually push myself to power through once this happens
I don't think it matters. Is there any reliable studies on lifting and cardio the same day?
If so what did they find in the limited sample size

R

Ranger

I will slow my pace. Obviously push it to that edge.
Once you go past that cardio capacity of breathing through your nose and are now breathing through your mouth, you aren’t doing anything for your cardio capacity. Believe it or not.
Very quickly you will be going at a faster pace and still breathing through your nose. There’s a lot a data you can read on it. Primal Endurance is a fantastic book on it.
Most people run way too much.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would do very low impact cardio, no more than 10 minutes, before or after the workout, whatever you prefer. Just to get your heart rate up and keep it there. Either way, I'd do a body-weight set of whatever lift you are doing for additional warm up and blood flow. None of this is really for weight loss, more for your heart and efficiency.

If you want to lose that extra weight, do sprints or some other similar high intensity workout (see Espi's post). 8-10 40 yard bursts is what I do, usually on grass as it's easier on your body. I'm 37, I have to think about such things. Ain't go no time for injury.

R

Ranger

I would do very low impact cardio, no more than 10 minutes, before or after the workout, whatever you prefer. Just to get your heart rate up and keep it there. Either way, I'd do a body-weight set of whatever lift you are doing for additional warm up and blood flow. None of this is really for weight loss, more for your heart and efficiency.

If you want to lose that extra weight, do sprints or some other similar high intensity workout (see Espi's post). 8-10 40 yard bursts is what I do, usually on grass as it's easier on your body. I'm 37, I have to think about such things. Ain't go no time for injury.
Nothing. I meant absolutely nothing, cuts fat like sprints. If it’s cold out where you are, do deadmill sprints (look it up).
I do them 2-3 times a week.

R

Ranger

I don't think it matters. Is there any reliable studies on lifting and cardio the same day?
If so what did they find in the limited sample size
My “cardio” is 20 minutes max. It really is a waste of time to do much of it.
My preferred “cardio” is loading up my pack to 80 lbs or more. I do a four mile hump. It’s called a forced march. Nose breathing only.
Nose breathe the whole time. This makes it possible to climb 14,000 foot peaks faster than anything you have ever done.