Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Cardio after lifting?

CAPSLOCK BANDIT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I only do high intensity, running for 30 minutes feels like a waste of time when I can be hitting these same numbers in a fraction of the time using HIC

darksprezzatura

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't do cardio. And I lost over 100 lbs with just diet and strength training.

Once I went to run 10km without training, didn't break a sweat.

Swimming hard on the other hand, overwhelmed me.

Might need to swim more regularly.

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't do cardio. And I lost over 100 lbs with just diet and strength training.

I find this hard to believe, I had to start running every day for months just to be able to run in excess of a mile and even now I'm lucky to get in 2 miles without stopping to walk. Either you jog very slowly or you have a some Keynan DNA ...

monkeybrain

Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh yeah, sorry i should have mentioned that. Im overweight, quite overweight. But I am still mobile. Anything that isnt pullups are doable for me. Im not as strong as i used to be. Of course i want to look better, but mostly i want to get back to how strong i was
Well in that case cardio should come second to strength training. The reason is that any cardio beforehand will negatively influence your nervous system and take away from your strength efforts. Whereas you could do a 5x5 squat routine fry your CNS and still be able to get some cardio going after. Albeit that is not so fun either lol.

BigFoot04

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hello Everyone
I am sorry if this has been gone over before, but i was curious about when the best time to do cardio is. Should i do them on seperate days? One before the other? I have 4 days a week for gym time right now, but that will be changing soon.
I have Sunday, and Tuesday-Thursday. Thank you
Personally after everyworkout , I've had tons of people saying it "effects your gains" but their all lazy , change it up, battle ropes , ski rigs , treadmill. I saw nothing but gains both strength and cardio wise.

darksprezzatura

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I find this hard to believe, I had to start running every day for months just to be able to run in excess of a mile and even now I'm lucky to get in 2 miles without stopping to walk. Either you jog very slowly or you have a some Keynan DNA ...
Oh haha ofcourse I didn't sprint if that's what you meant. Slow jogs, pacing at around 6 minutes

typical

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Swimming is an intense full body exercise. You want big shoulders then swim or row at least 3 times a week.

rjc149

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
At 32, can’t say I’ve had this problem.

Heavy barbell training burns a fvckton of calories. Find myself getting sick of eating at times
Cardio is much kinder to the body, especially low-impact cardio like biking or elliptical. I don’t have access to barbells (Planet Fitness) and I’m sure I’d tweak something pretty often. I’m older than you, so you’ll see what I mean. I don’t use free weights anymore, even if I could. I do the big compounds on cable machines or Smiths. Perfectly adequate.

I eat lots of heavy food on weekends (lots of good Italian restaurants and pub food around me) and I drink a lot. I can’t stay trim with that kind of carb intake unless I do cardio.

Cardio is also more time-efficient. 10 minutes is usually all I do, each day except Mondays, and I maintain a decent 4-pack. Plus it makes me feel good. I rely on it as a mood stabilizer.

If I were on a bulking cycle, I would limit cardio to maybe 2-3 days per week, but my bulk/cut days are long behind me. It’s bad for the kidneys.

But to answer the question, I’ve always done cardio after lifting, prioritizing muscle glycogen for lifting.

typical

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cardio is much kinder to the body, especially low-impact cardio like biking or elliptical. I don’t have access to barbells (Planet Fitness) and I’m sure I’d tweak something pretty often. I’m older than you, so you’ll see what I mean. I don’t use free weights anymore, even if I could. I do the big compounds on cable machines or Smiths. Perfectly adequate.

I eat lots of heavy food on weekends (lots of good Italian restaurants and pub food around me) and I drink a lot. I can’t stay trim with that kind of carb intake unless I do cardio.

Cardio is also more time-efficient. 10 minutes is usually all I do, each day except Mondays, and I maintain a decent 4-pack. Plus it makes me feel good. I rely on it as a mood stabilizer.

If I were on a bulking cycle, I would limit cardio to maybe 2-3 days per week, but my bulk/cut days are long behind me. It’s bad for the kidneys.

But to answer the question, I’ve always done cardio after lifting, prioritizing muscle glycogen for lifting.
Yup completely agree,

I'm 37 and the years of Muay Thai fights, sailing, rowing competitively and accompanied injuries are now resurfacing to settle permanently. I get deep tissue massage done twice a month with cupping and acupuncture once a month.

Taking a more steady approach to everything is now a much smarter way of doing things as the body can only take so much punishment before permanent injuries occur.

sosumba

Don Juan
Reaction score
Could you please elaborate on this? How come it is bad for the kidneys?

rjc149

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Could you please elaborate on this? How come it is bad for the kidneys?
Generally speaking, excessive intake of protein and supplementing with whey protein and creatine monohydrate (and steroids, if you take it that far) strains your renal system.

Adding body fat, then burning it all off, then adding it, then burning it all off etc. over and over again is bad for your heart and organs.

Natural bodybuilding is healthy and good for your body. Doing bulk/cut cycles, and adding all this other chemical crap to your body, is not healthy.

DEEZEDBRAH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hello Everyone
I am sorry if this has been gone over before, but i was curious about when the best time to do cardio is. Should i do them on seperate days? One before the other? I have 4 days a week for gym time right now, but that will be changing soon.
I have Sunday, and Tuesday-Thursday. Thank you
Off rip, I do it the sec I get there or if won't do it.

Zimbabwe

Banned
Reaction score
It's good for overall cardiovascular health and increasing endurance, don't listen to the broscience junkies that advocate for "no cardio".

But don't do cardio to burn fat, if you want to lose fat focus on your diet. Abs are made in the kitchen.

Last edited:

mjb3617

Don Juan
Reaction score
I do 3 days of total body strength training and sandwich it with 2 days of 30 minute cardio sessions (gym bike) with ab work on the cardio days.

I find it helps my endurance and keeps the calorie burn consistent throughout my week.

I also work in restaurants so I'm doing 10k+ steps a day so that helps as well. Walking is a good form of cardio as well.

balder

Don Juan
Reaction score
well if cardio after training is bad then i've been doing bad things for a very long time. from what i know, during your training you deplete your glycogen stores then while doing cardio you burn fat. so therefore thats why i do cardio after training. now dont get me wrong, i dont go crazy doing high intensity cardio, thats in the AM. after training cardio is a nice steady pace.

Reactions: B80

Jor-El

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Do 5 minutes of HIIT intervals after lifting. All you'll need. Sends growth hormone soaring
@BackInTheGame78

Im liking this...is there science behind it ? Genuine queston,as thinking of doing it as a bonus after my workout....any real world observations having done this ?