Bulking on a budget

Remulak

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Currently 5'7 143 pounds looking to bulk up. I would like to get to 155-60 in 2-3 months. I'm using thedailyplate.com to get an idea of how many calories I should be eating and its saying I need roughly 2,900 a day to gain 1 pound a week. Anyway I'm on day 2 and I'm getting my calories but it's getting expensive and I'm looking for an affordable powder to supplement a few meals a day. I'm also on a very clean diet, plenty of vegetables, lean protein, nuts etc... Any suggestions?

PerfectCircle

Don Juan
Reaction score
Anyway I'm on day 2 ....... it's getting expensive
LOL. Find a way to get money. You need an income to afford what you need. Find a way to invest in yourself. I personally spend 35 dollars a day on average on what I eat. Buy at supermarkets. Buy in bulk. But other then that theres not much you can do.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Start buying ground beef and other meats with a healthy fat content. They're generally cheaper and have more calories than lean meats.

Since you're only on Day 2, just roll with what you have for a week or two, and then adjust if you have to.

Personally I'd start buying plenty of eggs, and rotate between regular ground beef and chicken.

ie.

monday - eggs, ground beef
tuesday - eggs, chicken
wednesday - eggs, ground beef
thursday - eggs, chicken
friday - eggs, ground beef
saturday - eggs, salmon
sunday - eggs, steak

-----

obviously for that you have to enjoy eating eggs, but if you're interested in achieving your goal in a reasonable timeframe, it'd be a smart idea to get acquainted with them.

good luck

Mr.Positive

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quiksilver said:
Start buying ground beef and other meats with a healthy fat content. They're generally cheaper and have more calories than lean meats.

Since you're only on Day 2, just roll with what you have for a week or two, and then adjust if you have to.

Personally I'd start buying plenty of eggs, and rotate between regular ground beef and chicken.

ie.

monday - eggs, ground beef
tuesday - eggs, chicken
wednesday - eggs, ground beef
thursday - eggs, chicken
friday - eggs, ground beef
saturday - eggs, salmon
sunday - eggs, steak

-----

obviously for that you have to enjoy eating eggs, but if you're interested in achieving your goal in a reasonable timeframe, it'd be a smart idea to get acquainted with them.

good luck
I second this post. This is a great way to bulk on a budget. Eggs are cheap, relatively, and if you buy your meat in bulk...the cheap fatty type steaks (which taste great, and have healthy good fat). You can do this fairly cheaply.

Also, buy your protein shakes in bulk, like a 10lb bag, and you can save a lot of money that way too..

eldafar

Don Juan
Reaction score
I just noticed, you're in Siberia. That's awesome.

About the beef, I am no authority to answer that question, but people who know what they're talking about are recommending it to you. It wouldn't make sense for them to recommend it if they thought it was harmful.

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
would it be safe to eat fruits and veggies with all the pesticides they spray on it? the answer is NO so eat cows to the max :D

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
would it be safe to eat fruits and veggies with all the pesticides they spray on it? the answer is NO so eat cows to the max
There isn't much to do about pesticides except wash the fruits and veggies before you cook them.

One thing no one mentioned yet, is that when you're eating plenty of meats and eggs, keep your fibre intake high.

I generally eat 2 vegetables a day, and 1 or 2 cups of oatmeal.. flax seed is good too, as are psyllium husks.

So yeah, eat plenty of meats and eggs, balance them with fish oils, flax oils, and vegetables that are high in calcium(brocolli, spinach, etc).

:up:

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i was only kidding
anyone getting a lot of gas with high meat intake?

Remulak

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
eldafar said:
How tight of a budget? If you're plain broke, you should read:

dbcb314's Tips for the Broke Weightlifter
http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16660
LOL this was hilarious, has anyone here done a dirty bulk as opposed to a clean bulk? What were your results. I would do a dirty bulk but damn, It's summer timehttp://www.sosuave.net/forum/images/smilies//tongue.gif
:p