Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Bought the woman $10K ring, in a divorce...who keeps it?

disciple

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The way the justice system is nowadays you'll be lucky if they only reward her the ring, the house, half your paycheck, and your left nut (the court will probably decide that since you have two of them, she should get to keep one). Good luck, because if you are getting divorced, you'll need it.

cave dweller

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
award

Hey,

disciple hit the nail on the head.

The courts will award in favor of her.

She will get the house, furniture, car, the ring, the bass boat and his tools and he will get the fvcking cat.

cave dweller

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
GIO SAID
When you propose to a girl and give her an engagement ring, that ring technically belongs to you until you are legally married. At the point you become married, it is hers.

Therefore, if you split up prior to the wedding, the ring is yours.

This is damn good to know guys. I know a guy who bought a ring and the wedding got cancelled. She never gave the ring back.

I was really pissed for my friend. We joked about playing bounty hunter to get it back. She had moved back home across the country and was never heard from again.

Giovanni Casanova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: award

Originally posted by cave dweller
and he will get the fvcking cat.
He will not get the fvcking cat. The fvcking cat is her baby, she couldn't possibly part with it.

:p

-HPNOTIQ-

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
hahaha..F*ck it...I'm buying my future wife an ONION RING.

thanks for the input fellas:p

Its like the old marriage threads going in circles...just doesn't seem that the 'traditional' idea of marriage is even worth it.

Jay Gatsby

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by -HPNOTIQ-
Its like the old marriage threads going in circles...just doesn't seem that the 'traditional' idea of marriage is even worth it.
Oh it works all right...for women who want to have their cake and eat it too. On the other hand, if a men begin to insist on prenuptial agreements -- even if they don't have two nickels to rub together when they get married -- women will be less inclined to call it quits when the marriage doesn't measure up to their expectations.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jay Gatsby
Oh it works all right...for women who want to have their cake and eat it too. On the other hand, if a men begin to insist on prenuptial agreements -- even if they don't have two nickels to rub together when they get married -- women will be less inclined to call it quits when the marriage doesn't measure up to their expectations.

unless she makes fatter cake than you..
cake = cash
then you will hear everyday, of the rest of your life, that she has more than you... "according to the prenup"

Jay Gatsby

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by penkitten
unless she makes fatter cake than you..
cake = cash
then you will hear everyday, of the rest of your life, that she has more than you... "according to the prenup"
That would be fine with me. I don't mind having a "sugar momma", even if she has to remind me that she makes more. My sense of self-worth won't be impacted one bit. The fact is that such women are few and far between, and many are looking to marry men who have equal/more "cake" than they do, or alternatively, have political power or stardom.

cave dweller

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
sugar

A sugar momma is nothing but a pain in the @ss.

They are not worth it.

I have dated a couple.....Fvck that.

cave dweller

bignick79

Don Juan
Reaction score
Sorry dude, u gave it to her, its hers!!!!

Sexplicite

Don Juan
Reaction score
That ring was meant as a present for that woman.

A woman with the right conscious would give back that ring if the relationship has demolished.

Other than that -- If she decided to keep the ring, She is pretty much selfish in my eyes.

dietzcoi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Very few women will give back the ring. Less than 10%.

Enough said.

Dietzcoi

cave dweller

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ring?

They will take the ring to a pawn shop before they give it back.

cave dweller

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If she has been wearing it, for let us say the last five months, how in the hell are you going to get it off of her finger?
Pull it off her finger when she's sleeping :D

It's more logical to buy her a cheap ring. An engagement ring is only a symbol of a promise to marry her. That's all it is. People go out and put price tags on the value of their "love". Love shouldn't have a price tag attached to it, it should be more valuable than any ring. If she's pissed off about the $150 you spent on her engagement ring, she's not in it for love but she's a gold-digger and you should ditch her.

Giovanni Casanova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by dietzcoi
Very few women will give back the ring. Less than 10%.

Enough said.
That's why God invented small-claims court.

• HELPFUL HINT #1: Never buy a girl an engagement ring that costs more than your small-claims court statutory maximum (usually $3000 or $5000 -- call your courthouse for the exact amount).
  • HELPFUL HINT #2: Keep your receipt.

cactus3178

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
WTF?

I hope some of you are wrong in saying that after marriage the ring legally belongs to her....

Good God, if you bought it, it should remain your property (if not legally) should any marriage end.

As far as I'm concerned, with the divorce rates in this country where they are, it should be a goddamn lease, not a gift.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by -HPNOTIQ-
Hahaha..hold up fellas...NO, I'm not getting married, never been married, and hell, may never get married....soo put your pitch forks and flames away.

I ask this question because I was always curious about it. We've all heard rumors or urban myth that the woman got a $10k engagement ring, married the guy, cheated on the guy in the future, then refused to give up the $10k ring...EVEN THOUGH SHE CHEATED ON HIM!

I've 'heard' stories in the news like this, where the judge sides with the woman in these senerios because the ring in an enagement is considered 'A GIFT', thus, is given to the woman.

But, I wonder if a judge would consider the terms in which the ring is given, and that "THE GIFT" was given under the context of being married.

Any of you guys know the facts on something like this? Would a prenuptual agreement fix this?

I believe in marriage..but Lord Almighty..doesnt sound like marriage is even worth it with all the red tape.:confused:
Why on earth would anyone spend 10k on a ring in the first place? If someone gave me a ring that expensive I'd give it back and tell them if they were going to throw their money away in large sums to go buy me and "engagement car" instead.

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would suggest buying an engagement ring and keeping it in the box until she answers yes or no. NEVER show her the ring prior to the proposal.

NEVER let a woman pick out her own ring. Any woman that insists on a particular ring is automatically unmarriageable. She's not interested in a life together, but is goal-fixated on marriage and her appearance of marriage.

So let's review here:

YOU: $17K for a ring, or $16K for a down payment on a home and $1K for a ring (which is still too much if you ask me)?

HER: $17K for the ring! Duh?!:rolleyes:

YOU: Bye.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
I would suggest buying an engagement ring and keeping it in the box until she answers yes or no. NEVER show her the ring prior to the proposal.

NEVER let a woman pick out her own ring. Any woman that insists on a particular ring is automatically unmarriageable. She's not interested in a life together, but is goal-fixated on marriage and her appearance of marriage.

So let's review here:

YOU: $17K for a ring, or $16K for a down payment on a home and $1K for a ring (which is still too much if you ask me)?

HER: $17K for the ring! Duh?!:rolleyes:

YOU: Bye.
Ring costs should look something like this:

If you're pretty poor... $500 to $1000 (this is about as cheap as you're gonna get a ring)

If you're doing okay financially but can't afford too much... $1000-$1500

If you've got a bit more to spend... $1500-$2000

Personally, I think it's stupid to pay over $5000 on a ring even for those who can easily afford to spend that much in cash.

As for having her pick out the ring...she shouldn't pick the exact ring out, but you should have her show you what kind of style she likes. Nothing is worse than a ring you have to wear all the time that you really don't like. Guys aren't always very good at knowing a woman's tastes.

Giovanni Casanova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by cactus3178
WTF?

I hope some of you are wrong in saying that after marriage the ring legally belongs to her....

Good God, if you bought it, it should remain your property (if not legally) should any marriage end.

As far as I'm concerned, with the divorce rates in this country where they are, it should be a goddamn lease, not a gift.
All gifts belong to the person you give it to. When you buy your dad a wrench set for Christmas, you can't just have a fight with him and say, "I want my wrench set back! I bought it, it's my property!"

Legally, when you give a gift, it becomes the property of the other person, even if you regret giving it later.

An engagement ring is a little different, legally, because it's a contingent gift... a gift given that's dependent on a certain event happening -- in this case, a wedding. If the wedding doesn't happen, then the premise that the gift was given under isn't valid and the ring still belongs to you. If she sells it without giving it back, you can sue her for the value of the ring. If the wedding DOES take place, the conditions of the gift have then been met and the ring officially belongs to her.