Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Bought the woman $10K ring, in a divorce...who keeps it?

-HPNOTIQ-

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hahaha..hold up fellas...NO, I'm not getting married, never been married, and hell, may never get married....soo put your pitch forks and flames away.

I ask this question because I was always curious about it. We've all heard rumors or urban myth that the woman got a $10k engagement ring, married the guy, cheated on the guy in the future, then refused to give up the $10k ring...EVEN THOUGH SHE CHEATED ON HIM!

I've 'heard' stories in the news like this, where the judge sides with the woman in these senerios because the ring in an enagement is considered 'A GIFT', thus, is given to the woman.

But, I wonder if a judge would consider the terms in which the ring is given, and that "THE GIFT" was given under the context of being married.

Any of you guys know the facts on something like this? Would a prenuptual agreement fix this?

I believe in marriage..but Lord Almighty..doesnt sound like marriage is even worth it with all the red tape.:confused:

dietzcoi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A guy I know here bought his wife a $17,000 engagement ring, the chump... when they divorced she kept it and sold it at a loss.

He claimed when he bought it, that it was an investment... he might as well have invested in ENRON

Yes, the woman keeps her ring... it does not matter what she did. Most divorces are "no-fault" anyway

Again, a warning to all readers, but the die-hard chumps never learn...

Dietzcoi

cave dweller

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ring

HPN,

He will have to suck it up, because:

The judge will award her the ring and give him the cat.

While he is at it, the judge will give her the new wide screen TV and give him the fvcking gold fish bowl.

cave dweller

cave dweller

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the cell phone

HPN,

Also, her lawyer will give her the private cell phne number of the judge.

She will call and tell him:

"Hey, when you get time, let 's meet at the local Holiday Inn, room 207, then you can hear my side of the story and I will tell you why you should award that a$$ hole the fvcking cat and gold fish bowl and me the ring and tv."

Now a question for you:

She won't give the judge some pvssy just get what she wanted, would she?

cave dweller

Giovanni Casanova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Okay, legally, this is the way it goes down.

An engagement ring is considered a provisional gift. That means that it is a gift which is given in contemplation of a particular event (in this case, marriage).

When you propose to a girl and give her an engagement ring, that ring technically belongs to you until you are legally married. At the point you become married, it is hers.

Therefore, if you split up prior to the wedding, the ring is yours.

Afterward, she can pretty much do with it as she pleases. It is a gift, and it belongs to her. It doesn't matter why the marriage breaks up or goes wrong. She could be banging a college football team, and the courts will not care.

As for prenuptials, you can put pretty much whatever you want in that, but it can depend on the laws of your state whether they will consider infidelity as a factor when it comes to divorce proceedings (i.e., whether she gets nothing if it can be proven that she is the town wh*re).

NewMan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why don't you do this....

If YOU CAN'T AFFORD A $17,000 RING - buy her q $4,000 dollar ring.

If it's the ring she's after - don't get hitched anyways.

When you buy your woman an engagement ring - it's hers. Plan on it.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
and yet another example of why you need to be more picky guys... do not marry a woman that wants a ring for that much money.. if all goes well and you do marry her... later she will start asking you how much life insurance you have and well if you will buy her a gun for "protection"...

sheesh!@

Giovanni Casanova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by penkitten
and yet another example of why you need to be more picky guys... do not marry a woman that wants a ring for that much money.. if all goes well and you do marry her... later she will start asking you how much life insurance you have and well if you will buy her a gun for "protection"...
Haha... I agree that is an insane price to pay for an engagement ring. You can get something very nice and very classy for less than 1/5 of that.

Big Pappy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Geez. More evidence that the media is poisoning the males. Buy a diamond, she'll love you. Wait ten years, buy another one, she'll love you even more.

Why not just buy her a cubic zirconian. Looks the same and costs much less.

From an investment perspective, diamonds appreciate at 6% every November.

That being said, these men that buy humongous rings were probably rolling in cash and could afford it. If they weren't, they were likely compensating for a deficiency in another area. Not confident that the girl will like them for their own merits, they buy a big rock so the girl can show her friends and family.

If the girl loves you, she's not going to care how big it is. As long as you can make her feel protected, nourished and happy, she'll be fine.

Gipper

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I could care less about the legal aspects of this situation.

If you buy a chick a $10,000.00 to $17,000.00 engagement ring, you should have the $hit kicked out of you, and you deserve whatever you get. You're an idiot.

Gipper

Giovanni Casanova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Gipper
I could care less about the legal aspects of this situation.

If you buy a chick a $10,000.00 to $17,000.00 engagement ring, you should have the $hit kicked out of you, and you deserve whatever you get. You're an idiot.

Gipper
Well said.

-HPNOTIQ-

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Interesting responses from the gallery.

In retrospect, my question was more geared toward the 'engagement' and who would legally have right to the ring if the engagement was broken off.

Also in retrospect, the amount of ring doesn't really matter in this question..it was the principle I was questioning. For some guys...$10k is a drop in the bucket. And for others, I could see some guys flaming a person on the huge price tag of a $1000 ring.

My question was soley on principle and law. I'm sure we all have etiquette, and would DO THE RIGHT THING..but thats a bunch of crap in this society of money hungry people.

cave dweller

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the ring

Here is the legal answer to your question:

He.."I thought you said you were going to give the ring back."

She.."I am. But, I took it off while I was doing dishes at moms house Sunday and I LOST IT."

cave dweller

Giovanni Casanova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: the ring

Originally posted by cave dweller
Here is the legal answer to your question:

He.."I thought you said you were going to give the ring back."

She.."I am. But, I took it off while I was doing dishes at moms house Sunday and I LOST IT."
Doesn't matter... if it's before the wedding, it's legally yours, and you can sue her ass for the value of the ring. Make sure you keep any receipts and/or appraisals out of her reach.

PocoDiablo

Don Juan
Reaction score
Here's the REAL correct answer:

Her: Have you seen my enagement ring?
Him: Hm, no, where do you put it?
Her: Over there.
Him: Nope, don't tell me you lost it.

After the divorce he sells it.

Paradox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by PocoDiablo
Here's the REAL correct answer:

Her: Have you seen my enagement ring?
Him: Hm, no, where do you put it?
Her: Over there.
Him: Nope, don't tell me you lost it.

After the divorce he sells it.
Right answer. Basically the ring is a gift. The wife always keeps the ring AND if she has a good lawyer she gets half for everything else.

cave dweller

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ring

POCO,

Nice try, but:

If she has been wearing it, for let us say the last five months, how in the hell are you going to get it off of her finger?

Cave dweller

Giovanni Casanova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Paradox
Right answer. Basically the ring is a gift. The wife always keeps the ring AND if she has a good lawyer she gets half for everything else.
That only applies AFTER the marriage, however. Prior to that, the engagement ring still belongs to the guy and he can sue to get it back.

Cheiradawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I didn't read the whole thing so if someone already posted this then you get to read it again.

When an ring is purshased it is part of a contract. Marriage being the "closing" of the deal. If you break up then the law looks at it as a broken contract and the ring so back to the man. After the marriage though the "deal" was made and then depending on the pre-nut ect. the rign is up for graps.

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Taliban have some things going for them.

Women do as they are told and they don't let 'em drive.

I laugh at you chumpy infidels!