Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Boss calling and texting me after hours

MulteMach

Don Juan
Reaction score
I work for a company and im pretty much on my own in a company vehicle. The rest of the people work about 2 hours away. I never see my coworkers or bosses. I can start and end my day whenever I want as long as my route gets done. My boss usually doesnt call or text me during the day but lately has been texting me or calling me at like 8pm or even on weekends. Should I say something or make a big deal out of this or is it not a big deal since Im on my own and I have freedom on my job.

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Return his texts/calls on Monday and say you don't do that in your off time. You're not on call. Or if it's a work phone, leave it in the company vehicle.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Let him know if he continues to do this he will need to pay you for your time as you don't work for free.

Serenity

Reaction score
I would personally just never answer otuside of working hours if I found it bothersome. No need to make a big deal of it, let them call and be met with no answer EVERY SINGLE TIME. Eventually your boss will stop trying at those times or confront you about it, feel free to make a big deal out of it if you're confronted with it.

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OP to your knowledge, why do you think your boss is doing this?

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would personally just never answer otuside of working hours if I found it bothersome. No need to make a big deal of it, let them call and be met with no answer EVERY SINGLE TIME. Eventually your boss will stop trying at those times or confront you about it, feel free to make a big deal out of it if you're confronted with it.
I think this is the right approach. Don't respond until the following business day unless it's a legit emergency. Your boss will get the hint.

Dr.Suave

Reaction score
I wouldnt make a big deal considering you have a lot of freedom in your hours.

2Rocky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There is a trade off for freedom to operate unencumbered by business hours. You do have to have some boundaries though, and stick to them.

It's one thing if there is something you need to address immediately or first thing the next morning. Decide what you will tolerate, and then set your phone to do not disturb on the other times.

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What's he calling for? I wouldn't answer for a driving job, another kind of job might be important and cost/lose you money by not answering, but this kinda job I would not bother. You set a precedent by answering, gotta set boundaries asap.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
How replaceable are you? If I were the boss, I would be thinking, "Answer your phone, or I'll find someone else who will."
And as an employee I'd contact the labor board and cost him hundred of thousands of dollars in workplace violations, fines and unpaid hours because rest assured he is doing this to everyone.

Board of labor don't play, they go back 5 years and are meticulous at finding violations and fines.

He will learnt the hard way not to do that anymore unless he is paying them.

SmoothSmooth

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Learn how to play the game. Read the 48 laws of power. Express your boundaries in an indirect way. For example, if he calls, answer then pretend you’re receiving a call from a family member and say you’ll call him back. Then don’t call him back. Do little things like this each time he calls and he’ll get the message, but won’t be able to hold you accountable as you have not directly offended him.
Or one time entertain his call so he thinks he has the upper hand. Then the same night; phone him when he’s asleep, let it ring a few times and then text him apologising saying it was a pocket dail.
Or when he calls, whenever he talks have an annoying sound in background and tell him it’s a bad signal, so he hates talking.

It’s all a game to these people. Learn to play it.

‘The only way to get the upper hand is to make your play for control more intelligent and insidious’

Last edited:

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Learn how to play the game. Read the 48 laws of power. Express your boundaries in an indirect way. For example, if he calls, answer then pretend you’re receiving a call from a family member and say you’ll call him back. Then don’t call him back. Do little things like this each time he calls and he’ll get the message, but won’t be able to hold you accountable as you have not directly offended him.
Or one time entertain his call so he thinks he has the upper hand. Then the same night; phone him when he’s asleep, let it ring a few times and then text him apologising saying it was a pocket dail.
Or when he calls, whenever he talks have an annoying sound in background and tell him it’s a bad signal, so he hates talking.

It’s all a game to these people. Learn to play it.

‘The only way to get the upper hand is to make your play for control more intelligent and insidious’
No. Just tell him he will need to pay you for any work you do after hours. Guarantee it will stop.

And legally he does. He has no leg to stand on in court if you were to sue him or report him to the Labor Board.

He only does this because nobody has forced him to face consequences for it.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No. Just tell him he will need to pay you for any work you do after hours. Guarantee it will stop.

And legally he does. He has no leg to stand on in court if you were to sue him or report him to the Labor Board.

He only does this because nobody has forced him to face consequences for it.
The call is legal. It is the time the employee spends answering the call that is supposed to be paid time. Enforcement is different in every state, the more blue your state, the more likely they are to care about such complaints.

No one likes a tattletale. I have to object to any advice to be a snitch. Some people have deep values against such a thing...and from what I read these people can respond violently, so it is dangerous advice to give anyone.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
The call is legal. It is the time the employee spends answering the call that is supposed to be paid time. Enforcement is different in every state, the more blue your state, the more likely they are to care about such complaints.

No one likes a tattletale. I have to object to any advice to be a snitch. Some people have deep values against such a thing...and from what I read these people can respond violently, so it is dangerous advice to give anyone.
If a company owner/boss were to respond violently he may not be the boss/owner for very long.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Iron Rule of Tomassi #1 applies here.

Frame is everything.

Set a frame where after hours are not acceptable.

I do not answer after hours calls from my direct supervisors. I have rarely received them in my working career.

Machine10033

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a similar position... I am in charge of a large region and can pretty much work from anywhere. If I want to golf at noon I can login from home... get my work done and be on the course. I can work any hours I want as long as the work is done..Tons of freedom... rarely use leave unless it’s an actual vacation. If my boss calls after hours I’m answering because he gives me that freedom. If he was making me sit in my office with 3 hours of commuting a day... for 8 hours... and then calls me after hours I would put in for overtime.