Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Blood Flow Restriction(BFR) Training

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I have heard about this for quite some time but it wasn't until recently that I started reading up more on it and I was kind of blown away at how beneficial it is in terms of gaining size even while lifting a fraction of the weight due to many factors.

With the blood not flowing as normal to the muscle, it begins to lack oxygen which causes lactic acid to build up in it along with excess blood, creating an artificial "pump" in the muscle and metabolic damage.

This effectively tricks the body into assuming the muscle has been worked extremely hard with much heavier weight as that is usually the only way to accomplish this and the muscle growth happens from the metabolic damage as the body's response is to have the muscle grow bigger and stronger to prevent this from happening again in the future.

In other words...muscle growth isn't dependant on the amount of weight you lift, as your body has no concept of knowing how much that is, rather of producing the EFFECT heavy weight lifting typically causes in terms of lactic acid buildup in the muscle, blood flow and metabolic damage to the muscle. By creating the same conditions (if not greater) by lifting a fraction of the weight you are saving your joints a lot of wear and tear.

Just started doing it and first workout was with arms and holy crap my arms are pumped beyond belief while I only did 20 lbs of resistance when I normally do 80 lbs...don't think I even had the band tight enough but it was highly effective even with that.

Long history of this and tons of research done on it...also known as KAATSU training or Occlusion Training. Apparently is regularly used by Olympic athletes.

Last edited:

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In other words...muscle growth isn't dependant on the amount of weight you lift, as your body has no concept of knowing how much that is, rather of producing the EFFECT heavy weight lifting typically causes in terms of lactic acid buildup in the muscle, blood flow and metabolic damage to the muscle.
This is only partially true. Truth if “growth” meaning size is the goal. Not true for strength adaptations. Lactic acid buildup and metabolic damage are not prerequisites for strength increases.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
This is only partially true. Truth if “growth” meaning size is the goal. Not true for strength adaptations. Lactic acid buildup and metabolic damage are not prerequisites for strength increases.
BFR also has been shown to significantly increase strength as well, in relatively short time frames.

Interestingly enough it has also shown benefits in the absence of any weight at all(ie, walking on treadmills/ellipticals), even in highly trained athletes.

Last edited:

jafman

Don Juan
Reaction score
Tension

metabolic stress

muscle damage

the 3 ways to increase strength and size in varying degrees.

BFR is a metabolic and immune stimulus. Thus large changes to muscular tissue and performance of that tissue are not going to happen.

it is not a tool for developing strength and power!

every athletic application I have seen used professionally thus far has been for rehabilitation purposes almost always with some moderate use during de-loading phases or as an adjunct tool to regular training.

It needs to be done correctly or there are potential hazards.

To be clear the best use is for those suffering from injury or muscular atrophy following injury.

your joints don’t need to be protected from lifting weights unless you are injured. Lifting strengthens joints. Unless of course you are doing it wrong or pushing your body to extremes for high level competition. If you are pushing your joints to the limit for high level competition then I refer to the rehabilitation use…..

Divorced w 3

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have heard about this for quite some time but it wasn't until recently that I started reading up more on it and I was kind of blown away at how beneficial it is in terms of gaining size even while lifting a fraction of the weight due to many factors.

With the blood not flowing as normal to the muscle, it begins to lack oxygen which causes lactic acid to build up in it along with excess blood, creating an artificial "pump" in the muscle and metabolic damage.

This effectively tricks the body into assuming the muscle has been worked extremely hard with much heavier weight as that is usually the only way to accomplish this and the muscle growth happens from the metabolic damage as the body's response is to have the muscle grow bigger and stronger to prevent this from happening again in the future.

In other words...muscle growth isn't dependant on the amount of weight you lift, as your body has no concept of knowing how much that is, rather of producing the EFFECT heavy weight lifting typically causes in terms of lactic acid buildup in the muscle, blood flow and metabolic damage to the muscle. By creating the same conditions (if not greater) by lifting a fraction of the weight you are saving your joints a lot of wear and tear.

Just started doing it and first workout was with arms and holy crap my arms are pumped beyond belief while I only did 20 lbs of resistance when I normally do 80 lbs...don't think I even had the band tight enough but it was highly effective even with that.

Long history of this and tons of research done on it...also known as KAATSU training or Occlusion Training. Apparently is regularly used by Olympic athletes.

Wow. This is my gym. I thought this may have been some bro shyt. Kind of crazy

RazorRambo24

Banned
Reaction score
If you really want to know what works best, go to an IFBB Pro.. They know what the heck their talking about.. they got this sht pinned down to a precise science..

and yes, its not necessarily about how much weight you can push/pull.. It's all about hyperplasia and hypertrophy .. Nothing more nothing less.

This stuff you're talking about is not a method of training persay but like an accessory to training.. Dudes in the 80s did this stuff all the time, they'd wrap something around their upper arms while doing bicep training for instance and then wear these things on their arm they used to have back in the day that acted like a tournequet.. Sht, you even seen wrestlers in WWF wear it like the Ultimate Warrior and some others.. Ofc, no one does this sht because it's really not necessary.. If you know how to get a "pump", aka meaning fill a muscle/body part with blood by doing light weight high rep ranges, you don't need this nonsense.

Any good bodybuilder/fitness guy knows how to create a pump.. its nothing new.

Also, this is a terrible article.. It barely uses scientific terms and it has like no citation or sources for any of the things being said.. These are like the low effort SEO articles people pay per word to some shmuck to write to get content on their website.

Deranged

Don Juan
Reaction score
Heavy compound movements > BFR

If you can't lift heavy due to various reasons, BFR seems to be the supplement(as far as aesthetics are concerned). You'll never get str gainz like lifting though. And not to mention BFR mostly benefits the extremities. You cant(with gym accessories) restrict bloodflow to your pecs, glutes, or back.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
If you really want to know what works best, go to an IFBB Pro.. They know what the heck their talking about.. they got this sht pinned down to a precise science..

and yes, its not necessarily about how much weight you can push/pull.. It's all about hyperplasia and hypertrophy .. Nothing more nothing less.

This stuff you're talking about is not a method of training persay but like an accessory to training.. Dudes in the 80s did this stuff all the time, they'd wrap something around their upper arms while doing bicep training for instance and then wear these things on their arm they used to have back in the day that acted like a tournequet.. Sht, you even seen wrestlers in WWF wear it like the Ultimate Warrior and some others.. Ofc, no one does this sht because it's really not necessary.. If you know how to get a "pump", aka meaning fill a muscle/body part with blood by doing light weight high rep ranges, you don't need this nonsense.

Any good bodybuilder/fitness guy knows how to create a pump.. its nothing new.

Also, this is a terrible article.. It barely uses scientific terms and it has like no citation or sources for any of the things being said.. These are like the low effort SEO articles people pay per word to some shmuck to write to get content on their website.
What works best for someone on grams of steroids is pretty much anything.

Yes...it is so nonsensical that Olympic athletes use it in their training programs.

Next you'll tell me that high altitude training is nonsense also.

To a person who at age 40 had a big 3 of 1420 lbs while weighing 188 lbs.

Stick to picking up women. I don't need your advice. Get back to me when you are within 100 lbs on any lift. Which will likely be never

Last edited:

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Heavy compound movements > BFR

If you can't lift heavy due to various reasons, BFR seems to be the supplement(as far as aesthetics are concerned). You'll never get str gainz like lifting though. And not to mention BFR mostly benefits the extremities. You cant(with gym accessories) restrict bloodflow to your pecs, glutes, or back.
I've lifted heavier than most people ever have or ever will. No longer possible due to my joints paying the price over time.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
so you've switched to bands, BFR and bodybulding?
Switched to bands during the pandemic when the gyms closed and never went back to weights. Much easier on the body and joints. Don't have to worry about working around injuries constantly anymore.

No bodybuilding. Just focused on maintaining a good physique and muscle mass as I get older.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Holy crap...used this as a 5 minute finisher after my arm/shoulder workout today using 25 lb bands and basically as many reps as I could do quickly then resting about 20 seconds and continuing...

My biceps are so swelled they hurt to even make a muscle right now. Feels like I just was curling my SUV.