Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Best literature for self-improvement

TonyTenner

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
What are the best books or blogs to read to help oneself improve as a man?

I've read Models by Mark Manson, which I thought was brilliant. I've seen people here mention The Rationale Male, so that's on my list. Other suggestions?

Dash Riprock

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Overall success in business and life--anything by:

1. Tony Robbins
  2. Brian Tracy
  3. Dr. Stephen Covey
  4. Gary Vaynerchuk
  5. Larry Wilson

A lot of people here like Rollo Tomassi, author of the The Rational Male. I'm lukewarm on him. Though at times quite accurate, he writes mainly from a hypothetical perspective. He never claimed, nor have I gathered, "he slayed" chicks when he was single because now he's married (go figure...). I see this a lot like the college professor who teaches classes on starting a business and entrepreneurship but has never owned a full-time business himself and then takes a corporate job with a Fortune 500 company after teaching.

ALWAYS learn from the people who have been there and done it. The "Rocky Balboa's" of their profession, as I call them. They've tried it, won and failed, got beat up, lost, and had victories, and lived to tell the tale. THESE are the people I'll listen to.

Dash Riprock

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Everyone has their opinion, that's fine.

Being a "man" is all about personal responsibility and being 100% accountable for who you are where you are in life. And people hate to f*ucking hear that. It forces them to look in the mirror at the person who's ultimately responsible. It feels so much better to deflect blame for our failures rather than man up and actually do something about it.

The resources I recommended are "coaches" who can help with exactly that. It's about personal growth and development.

Only losers make excuses, shirk responsibility, and blame. Winners do the hard work, take action, and make it happen.

Tony Robbins has reached 100's of millions of people the past 30+ years, so he must be doing something right. He holds you accountable, and tells it like it is. Some people don't like it because it forces them to actually do work to improve the hard way without a pill or quick fix. There is hocus pocus crap out there, but he's not one of them.

I do like Joel Osteen. Same thing as Tony R but includes a spiritual/religious take so not for everyone. He too calls you out on your BS and challenges you to make tough and hard changes, so yes, he like Tony will have detractors.

BTW, the Law of Attraction is as real as the Law of Thermodynamics or Gravity. It basically says that we draw into our life the people, ideas, and circumstances that are consistent with our dominant thoughts. Simple and true. It's really about employing self-confidence which is all about the expectation of a *positive* outcome, not negative. I'm guessing roughly 100% of SS members a) "believe in" self-confidence and b) think it's mandatory for success in anything in life. Whether you think you're a loser, a winner, rich, poor, good with women or a stooge---you're right!

Put it to the test: Ask any highly successful person you know in business, sports, women--anything really--if they achieved their level of success by continually staying focused on negative outcomes, losing, making excuses, lack of $, blaming others, etc. See what they all tell you.

Good luck.

Dash

Last edited:

Vice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Literature? Are you actually looking for literature or books that offer wisdom? I've noticed that literature books are mostly comprised of difficult to read and understand books that are discussed by snobby pretentious people who equate their "understanding" of these works to entitle them to some kind of intellectual superiority.

Anyway, look up Derek's book list from Real Social Dynamics, it's pretty solid and a great way to start. Get on ThriftBooks and order used copies and you'll be busy for a while.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree with 3 of Derek's list. I would make my standard plug: practical female psychology for the practical man. It's game aware rooted in evolutionary biology and has practical tips that I can personally vouch for written by man who actually like women. And are amused by their nature not beaten down.

Lumix

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd advise you to read biographies on great men in history, especially pre-feminist history (< 1900). That's going to give you a good idea on what a man is because we currently don't have that kind of models anymore.

You can certainly read about American generals and presidents. I'd recommend Herbert Hoover as a starter because he was a pretty big a$shole and had an incredible power and energy. But you can also read about Joseph Fouché, Talleyrand who were figures during the French revolution, and later Balzac. Start with Fouché because he was the most powerful and we don't hear about him that much.

It's also interesting to see how these men related to women.

This, I think, is much better to develop your own identity. It's not about game and dating, it's much deeper than that. Also it will help you with other aspects of your life, like finance, motivation, business, strategy, etc.

TonyTenner

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Overall success in business and life--anything by:

1. Tony Robbins
  2. Brian Tracy
  3. Dr. Stephen Covey
  4. Gary Vaynerchuk
  5. Larry Wilson

A lot of people here like Rollo Tomassi, author of the The Rational Male. I'm lukewarm on him. Though at times quite accurate, he writes mainly from a hypothetical perspective. He never claimed, nor have I gathered, "he slayed" chicks when he was single because now he's married (go figure...). I see this a lot like the college professor who teaches classes on starting a business and entrepreneurship but has never owned a full-time business himself and then takes a corporate job with a Fortune 500 company after teaching.

ALWAYS learn from the people who have been there and done it. The "Rocky Balboa's" of their profession, as I call them. They've tried it, won and failed, got beat up, lost, and had victories, and lived to tell the tale. THESE are the people I'll listen to.
Tony Robbins always appeared to me as too close to a conman to be taken seriously. I haven't read anything by him though. By the way, he has said in the past he has read As A Man Thinketh 12 times. I've read it and it's a short, precise formula for positive thinking. I plan to re-read it.

TonyTenner

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd advise you to read biographies on great men in history, especially pre-feminist history (< 1900). That's going to give you a good idea on what a man is because we currently don't have that kind of models anymore.

You can certainly read about American generals and presidents. I'd recommend Herbert Hoover as a starter because he was a pretty big a$shole and had an incredible power and energy. But you can also read about Joseph Fouché, Talleyrand who were figures during the French revolution, and later Balzac. Start with Fouché because he was the most powerful and we don't hear about him that much.

It's also interesting to see how these men related to women.

This, I think, is much better to develop your own identity. It's not about game and dating, it's much deeper than that. Also it will help you with other aspects of your life, like finance, motivation, business, strategy, etc.
Interesting recommendations, thank you. I have been reading bio's of people like Elon Musk, Phil Knight, Bezos etc. I'll look further back in history.

TonyTenner

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree with 3 of Derek's list. I would make my standard plug: practical female psychology for the practical man. It's game aware rooted in evolutionary biology and has practical tips that I can personally vouch for written by man who actually like women. And are amused by their nature not beaten down.
Looks like an interesting book, adding to list

metalwater

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How to win friends and influence people by Dale Carnegie. This is a very old title. Easy to apply, will get almost instant results if the suggested behaviors are different then your baseline.

TheProspect

Reaction score
There's already been some good recommendations made in this thread, so I'll just add that you want to be careful of falling in the trap of consuming self-improvement material without actually applying it.

It's easy to fall into the illusion that you are self-improving simply by reading self-improvement books. I've personally found it more productive to read a particular book, and then spend an extended period of time (at least a week) applying the principles of said book, before moving onto then next one. Otherwise you amass a collection of books instead of a collection practical experiences.

Rainman4707

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I cannot vision extremely masculine men reading many books. Would they not be out trying to break records? I imagine a a man who works out like a warrior, always in the gym. A mindset of being able to manhandle a woman.

So bearing that last sentence in mind. I would recommend the secrets of female sexuality by David shade

CopperHead

Don Juan
Reaction score
I cannot vision extremely masculine men reading many books. Would they not be out trying to break records? I imagine a a man who works out like a warrior, always in the gym. A mindset of being able to manhandle a woman.
I disagree with this. You can reach your goals by grinding out the work. You can get there faster if you learn from the experience and wisdom of those who have done it before you on top of the grinding. Isn't that why people come to this forum, to share knowledge?

TonyTenner

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
the rational male was anything but rational. There was no order to his book and doesnt give any practical advice. It was just red pill macho circle jerk.

Let me be clear here. Most guys I see that truly slay are not youre typical macho bearded lumberjack. They are usually feminine, chill, laid back. Think the skater, dj, starving artist, surfer, dreamy poet.
I've started the Rational Male and I think it's very very good. A real eye-opener.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In my young days i trained in martial arts for many years. I went to a couple of seminars with guru Dan inosanto. Yes in the Filipino martial arts they are actually called guru. And yes he did have a hot wife who was 20 years younger than him one of his students and believe me she could kill you with either hand.

He said sparring is essential. Otherwise you might as well learn dancing and have more fun. Without training or dryland swimming as he called it your development was limited and would top out quickly.

Same thing with books. if you aren't out there being relentlessly social and approaching chicks all the books in the world won't help you.

Totally back up what the guys have said learn something get out there apply it then go back and learn something else skim abook before investing your time. if you haven't done so already get on udemy and do a speed reading course no good for reading for fun but great for skimming quickly.

If you are open to different perspectives and trying things out you can tweak what you do a little bit.

It is a bit confusing because you will get conflicting advice but I will go back to Bruce Lee s words on that.

Absorb what is useful.
Reject what is useless.
Add that which is your own.

your mind is very smart it will filter and use those experiences and develop a stylewhich is uniquely you but it is the improved you. You probably won't even notice it happening but it will happen.

Last edited:

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
BTW it is actually hard to experiment with what works with women if you don't understand their nature that's where rollo's book and the one I recommend come in otherwise you will get what you think I r conflicting results but really aren't. I think that's where a lot of the game deniers here came from they skipped this foundation stage.