Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Basic Fighting Fundamental Moves to Learn?

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
everything i showed you is the most basic stuff. even training for your first 6-8 months in a gym is all gonna be basic stuff lol. we havent even discussed how to throw combo variations, movement, defense or how to let your hands go.

if you are short, defintely learn to throw hooks. people ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS overlook body punching. everyone wants to be a head hunter. and if your opponents are gonna be usually taller than you, you need to learn how to rip their body up. body shots slow boxers down. if you watch any boxing fights and one guy is known as a defensive guy that can move around and is fast and his opponent is not, the opponent usually strikes to the body to slow him down and even the playing field in the later rounds. if you go for the body the head will fall. overhands also certainly work once your IN range. thats the key to fighting taller guys. you need to slip your way in past the jab or just put your hands up, cover up and pressure your way inside. once you get inside with a taller guy you need to stay with him or its pointless to back off and have to expend energy to get back inside.

body shots are not pleasant. they are just as dangerous and more painful than getting knocked out cold. ive eaten a couple of good ones and given plenty. not fun

learn the left hook. its the punch that nobody ever sees coming. this one takes a while to develop properly. but once you have it in your arsenal it becomes that much harder to lose a fight. when you get a heavy bag practice the basic punch variations. jab, straight right, left hook. 1-2-3

this kid is in one of the big facebook boxing groups. hes got his own channel and he knows what hes talking about. ive talked to him, hes a good kid.

the left hook has ended many careers. this was a more recent fight and was a particularly scary KO

Yeah good stuff. I practice throwing some combos shadow boxing. The left hook has been the most challenging punch. There's actually 2 ways people seem to throw it.. one with your fist vertical and one with your fist horizontal. I find I get more power when my fist is vertical.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fist horizontal is how I was taught to throw a hook. Fist vertical would be a uppercut from below, or and overhand from above.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's interesting about using a hook as a mid-range or greater punch. I was only taught to use a hook in very close range. Maybe that is a boxing vs mma thing, or my trainer was just trying to keep things simple.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Takedown defense is a b!tch, lol. If one mma fighter wants to brawl and the other one wants to be on the ground, the fight will almost always go to the ground. I have been on both sides. To really stuff takedowns, it takes D1 collegiate wrestling skills, which I certainly don't have. Being more squared-up also helps in not giving up one's back for a choke as well.

MMA crowds love striking, but unfortunately the scoring rewards boring wrestling - takedown and lay on the other guy. That's the biggest problem with mma, the best strategy is a boring one. Promoters reward more entertaining fighters at every level. You're supposed to win, but it doesn't count if you're boring.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Filipino boxing panantukan is interesting as they add punching the arms. E.g.simplest move cross parry a straight right and drive a right hook into the bicep. A jabs normally too fast to counter this way.

They also use the elbow on the attacking fist. I like it because it's defensive ie less legal risk and a guy with a broken hand or knuckles is unlikely to continue the fight.

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
left hook definitely feels stronger with the palm in for me.

i see tons of people say different things about palm in or palm down and some even claim its backwards but the way i was taught (by several different trainers) was:

palm in is for mid to open range.

palm down is for when your opponent is super aggressive or hes on the inside, right up in your face. or when youre on the inside for that matter.

my arms are decently rangy, and im a hard puncher, so mid range palm in, feels full force perfect for me.

palm down close range is perfect for catching aggressive opponents completely off balance and knocking them down on just the mechanics of the punch following through.

good video here. he also explains a bit about fighting taller guys like i mentioned before
Good points and I guess this makes logical sense when you think about it. I think if you throw the same hook at a closer range the hand may naturally be more vertical.

Takedown defense is a b!tch, lol. If one mma fighter wants to brawl and the other one wants to be on the ground, the fight will almost always go to the ground. I have been on both sides. To really stuff takedowns, it takes D1 collegiate wrestling skills, which I certainly don't have. Being more squared-up also helps in not giving up one's back for a choke as well.

MMA crowds love striking, but unfortunately the scoring rewards boring wrestling - takedown and lay on the other guy. That's the biggest problem with mma, the best strategy is a boring one. Promoters reward more entertaining fighters at every level. You're supposed to win, but it doesn't count if you're boring.
Sprawling is the best take down defense right? For someone without a wrestling background do you think a knee to the face or guillotine is more practical to learn?

Von

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good points and I guess this makes logical sense when you think about it. I think if you throw the same hook at a closer range the hand may naturally be more vertical.

Sprawling is the best take down defense right? For someone without a wrestling background do you think a knee to the face or guillotine is more practical to learn?
Check these MMA highlights fights by Sakuraba (aka Gracie Killer aka Inteligent Wrestler aka Living Legend),...

Brutal, Technical, Fluid, Aggressive, Dirty, Complete MMA

He did a 1h30 fight versus Royce Gracie in Pride (won by Sakuraba).. the cardio they have must be intense

The video is the highlights (15minutes) but shows you fight diversity barely seen in the UFC

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The answer is always "it depends." Tall skinny guys like me are the easiest to choke because we have long necks. By contrast, i once met Eric Esch, aka Butterbean. He's huge, dude has no neck at all. Good luck trying to choke that.

Sprawling on concrete sucks. Look at how a d1 wrestler shoots a takedown, and it is a thing of beauty: posture, form, and cutting the corner instead of tackling the guy. That requires a sprawl to defend. But your average person is just going to bend at the waist and grab a leg. When that happens, put both hands on the back of his head and push. The body follows the head. He either lets go or he face plants into the sidewalk.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They also use the elbow on the attacking fist. I like it because it's defensive ie less legal risk and a guy with a broken hand or knuckles is unlikely to continue the fight.
I love that move. The first time i fought, i was convinced i could break my opponents hand that way. He had the tape and gauze job of a lifetime under his gloves. I didnt quite break them, but he showed me pics the next day, and his hangds were black and blue and swollen.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Interesting. Are you talking about dropping the elbow down on to low body punches? Or a parry and actively elbowing the fist ie sandwiching.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Interesting. Are you talking about dropping the elbow down on to low body punches? Or a parry and actively elbowing the fist ie sandwiching.

I'm on the right. I look like I am cowering in fear, but this is just after I have thrown my elbow up to slam into his fist as it comes into range and then let the punch slide off harmlessly to the outside. I would have broken his fist ten times in a street fight, but it's one of those moves that doesn't work nearly as well in regulated mma matches with gloves. It also happens so fast that even the judges don't really see what is going on. It just looks like him beating on me to everyone in the building. Making your opponent's strikes land on hard, bony surfaces - like checking a Muay Thai kick - is a valid strategy, but mma scoring does not reward it at all.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
thats a nice shot.

there was a video going around a couple of years ago of some supposed wing chun master showing how to use the elbow technique to neutralize a puncher "boxer"
Have you ever heard of 52 Blocks? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jailhouse_rock_(fighting_style)

It's a no-rules style, and might not be effective in boxing, as it really wasn't for me in mma, due to hand wraps and padded gloves. It's still cool stuff, though, I think, and good to know. If a drunk in a bar ever takes a swing at me, I would love to break his hand with an elbow strike. It happens so fast, that the other people in the bar are just going to see him hit you, then fall down and cry in pain. And when the cops come, they will arrest him, not you. You're the victim. He gets the battery charge and the expensive hand surgery.

Vantagepoint34

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Basically this is from a guide condensed. They say from keeping your guard up follow through on your punches. And they recommend to duck when the punch is coming in and you can't do anything. If you end up wrestling get him to the floor before he does to you. And to remember fighting can get ugly. It's not a boxing match. It's about getting out in one piece. Do what you can to be peaceful and it ends when he stops fighting or cuts out, not before. Simple right guys?

IKO69

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You always try to avoid conflict if you can. Fights often are not like how they are in professional organizations, that is they aren't necessarily "fair". Enroll in some kind of martial art, Boxing and Jujitsu I find practical and what I do.