Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Basic Fighting Fundamental Moves to Learn?

FwoGiZ

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I became an expert at diffusing aggression... or controlling my anger to a whole other level. Basically, as long as I don't feel threatened, I will not fight back. I.E. here's what happened last weekend.
Walking back from the bar at 3AM, everyone is wasted everywhere. As I am walking down the sidewalk right by the bar, I see this hot young chick I know, crying in some obvious white knight arms. Me being a very ****y person, I say to her this ; "oh hey Sabrina! Looks like you need a hand.... or a D!"
The white knight instantly clocked me around the head but didn't do much damage aka I didn't feel threatened at that point but I totally didn't see that one coming. I was obviously ready for round 2 but didn't raise my fist at that point. I said something such as, "you hit like a *****, why are you attacking me, you're being pretty dumb cause cops are right over there". At that point, he's jumping around, totally out of control and the obvious happens, cops come pick him up, handcuffs him and this is it.
Usually not showing any fear been working pretty good but you gotta quickly assess threat.. don't be a dead hero.

That's definitely my trump card.. haven't been in a real fight in a while but I know I dodged and deescalated so many because of this. When I do end up having to raise my fists, I am usually pretty cool and seems to take the right decisions. I'll have to admit I don't think I could have ever achieved that level of control if not for the fact I've been in harsh war environment (Kandahar) for 13months. When you've been shot at, it makes you realize that an angry chump isn't worth your time.

Basically, I stay out of fights unless my life is threatened, so when I do, there are no rules or honor or whatever. I live or I die is how I see it. I have to neutralize threat at all cost. One time, an old native guy stroke me on the head with an ice scraper (6 stitches) because I kicked his car cause he was being an *******. Next thing you know, he's going for a second hit? Guy obviously lost his mind, attempting murder over a dent in his car? So I quickly disarmed him, and neutralized him by crushing his knee with his own weapon, watched him fall like a dead tree, proceeded to have my blood pour all over the bastard, while giving him a lil speech until cops showed up.

I spent a lot of time learning how to properly do an arm lock which is highly effective if you can do it in 1on1... but never got to use it on a dude but girls yep... If not I would either punch nose, or kick knees.

I wish I had time to learn martial arts and reinforce my body but so far so good! Wisdom and self control helps.

PokerStar

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
hey ^^FxoGiZ

never to late to learn. BJJ blackbelts are still learning the art. its only to late when you are on our death bed.

Von

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
BJJ is the worst thing you can learn for street fight lol... however some guy who used to be a Navy Seal and made a life in training coaching once made a video about the ''best martial arts''... He said 1) A gun 2) BJJ ... but BJJ so you can learn to get back up from the ground and run 3) anything that teach you to take punches lol:

Here's real MMA fighting, I wish they had this on a daily UFC show:

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I still think you guys are neglecting knives. Knives are cheap and easy to get hold of and conceal and even a small knife can kill you. You can also easily buy ceramic knives these days that will get through metal detectors.

Learning to take a punch and grappling takes on a different perspective when you think that hand could be holding a blade. Any self defence should emphasize evasion. The first move should to be step off the line of the attack. Then control the elbow or the shoulder or if you can reach it the head. As soon as you have control of an arm kick out his knee or elbow him in the head and run. That is self defence.

If you don't believe me give your mate a whiteboard marker. Put on a white t-shirt and try blocking his attacks standing in front of him. Then have a look at all the ink marks on your shirt and your arms and hands. Turn the shirt inside out and go again but this time step to the side and block. You'll see far less cuts.

Until you've done this five minute reality test please don't argue with me.

Last edited:

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
To add to that, if you happen to be the one with the knife, slash and move is the way to go. As soon as you cut your opponent and he starts bleeding, time begins to be on your side. He will eventually bleed out.

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Shrimping will work under any circumstances, as an escape from being mounted. You might lose some skin if you are scooting across pavement, but it's worth it to not get beaten to death. An ex of mine had two guys fight to the death over her. The smaller guy never had much of a chance. Shrimping alone would have saved his life.

As far as a rear naked from behind, it works until the other guy bends down and flips you over his back. The you have to set your hooks and pull him into a roll with you onto the ground, which may not be fun. On pavement, it's better to control the head with one hand and push into the small of his back so he falls back into you and cannot roll. You can actually pull a man down from behind by his head, lean into the back of his head with your chest when he is down and break his neck quite easily. But unless he is about to murder you, that move will get you into legal trouble.
I heard that if you're in a rear naked choke you are supposed to put your hands in a plucking motion to try and force his arm off.. Is this what happens while bending to flip the guy over? I can see someone trained in MMA being able to easily flip you over but I feel like a common man wouldn't be able to do it, right?

Yeah everything actually depends on the water aspect in element of surprise.

You have to be conditionned and your brain has to be calm (adrenaline rush controlled)

I've applied a few throws and sweep in real life... and they worked the best even ''street scenarios'' compared to some wrist lock movement,,, you gotta keep it simple,fast, efficent
Sweeping looks hard... It actually isn't a move that's used in MMA matches barely ever so I wonder how pratical it really is..

A few things that are very easy to learn and practice on your own, until you can pick up some experience is how to sprawl, lessening the chances that you end up on the ground in the first place. A jab, the quickest, easiest way from point A to B. Learning and getting comfortable moving out of their range and back into yours as well as side stepping. After you got that down, I would start working on a few combinations and a triangle choke hold, in case you ever do end up your back and in-fighting with knees and elbows. Having the willingness to escalate violence is probably the biggest consideration that will determine whether you kick a$$ or get your a$$ kicked. I would honestly try to avoid these situations in the first place, as there is alot more to consider, than just getting your a$$ kicked. Some ppl refuse to lose at all cost.
Can sprawling be done on the street? looks like its more of a mat wrestling move right? Is sprawling used if a go shoots for a take down versus shrimping is if you are already taken down? I think the triangle and guillotine choke could be useful too.

I still think you guys are neglecting knives. Knives are cheap and easy to get hold of and conceal and even a small knife can kill you. You can also easily buy ceramic knives these days that will get through metal detectors.

Learning to take a punch and grappling takes on a different perspective when you think that hand could be holding a blade. Any self defence should emphasize evasion. The first move should to be step off the line of the attack. Then control the elbow or the shoulder or if you can reach it the head. As soon as you have control of an arm kick out his knee or elbow him in the head and run. That is self defence.

If you don't believe me give your mate a whiteboard marker. Put on a white t-shirt and try blocking his attacks standing in front of him. Then have a look at all the ink marks on your shirt and your arms and hands. Turn the shirt inside out and go again but this time step to the side and block. You'll see far less cuts.

Until you've done this five minute reality test please don't argue with me.
When you say step off the line of attack, do you mean step to the side either left or right? Then what?

Macaframalama

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Can sprawling be done on the street? looks like its more of a mat wrestling move right? Is sprawling used if a go shoots for a take down versus shrimping is if you are already taken down? I think the triangle and guillotine choke could be useful too.
Yes, a sprawl can be used in any environment. You are correct. It's a defensive manuever used to keep you off the ground and off your back in the first place. You can also, choke, knee, gouge, etc if you can gain head control.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You step off the line of attack so the next move has to be a slash less likely of killing you than a stab. Charge past the guy you're trying to get at his back. That leaves you at his side. Block and grab his arm with both hands and kick the s*** out of his knee cap or preferably the side of the knee. I don't mean gently you're trying to break whatever you kick. The key is control of the knife arm. If you don't control it and start throwing punches he's going to block your punches with his knife. And either stab you as you grab your injured arm or keep slashing and watch you bleed out. None of this is any fun that's why you don't stick around to have a fight any chance you get you run because you never know who's carrying what.

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
In street fightin there are no rules. Avoid fighting at all costs..but if someone steps out..strike first, strike fast an strike hard. You must be brutal.

Its easy to arm chair coach online. The fact is in real life things happen so fast you can dead real fast

Lol @ guys on here trying to play out how fights go down. Chits unpredictable. U cant be like "oh yeah after u punch the solar plexes, run arpund to the side an perform an elbow stroke to the knee" like r u srs?

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Basic boxing and basic judo will get you to where you want to be. The ability to give and take a punch, aggression, and control of the fight.

However learning how to talk to people and deescalate situations is where you need to be.

For example:

Me being a very ****y person, I say to her this ; "oh hey Sabrina! Looks like you need a hand.... or a D!"
This does not belong in a post detailing your verbal jiu-jitsu abilities.

Von

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In street fightin there are no rules. Avoid fighting at all costs..but if someone steps out..strike first, strike fast an strike hard. You must be brutal.

Its easy to arm chair coach online. The fact is in real life things happen so fast you can dead real fast

Lol @ guys on here trying to play out how fights go down. Chits unpredictable. U cant be like "oh yeah after u punch the solar plexes, run arpund to the side an perform an elbow stroke to the knee" like r u srs?
We know that hence... the importance of starting and learning the basic, quick, simple, efficient stuff first

The stuff you would learn in at ''black belt'' level most aren't street wise, when you think about it.

Most the stuff you learn at the beginning will always be the most simple things in the art... yet they the ones that work the most in the street wise environment for the reasons you dated. The fight is chaotic, fast, unfair, brutal

Basic boxing and basic judo will get you to where you want to be. The ability to give and take a punch, aggression, and control of the fight.

However learning how to talk to people and deescalate situations is where you need to be.

For example:

This does not belong in a post detailing your verbal jiu-jitsu abilities.
Agreed.. Judo and Boxing will give you the core elements of '' handling fighting'' in the fastest way possible and most will become 2nd nature to you... the techniques are simple, quick, efficient

Lastly, yeah... winning the fight is avoiding it... you never know what you have in front of you, you have to be ready at all cost and time but diminishing the risk of a fight and getting injured is a winning battle in itself

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There are all kinds of sweeps. That video was just one. Any time you see an mma fight where the guy on bottom flips the two of them over and lands on top, that's probably a sweep. Timing is critical. If you catch the other guy's weight moving the way you want, it's hard to even see the move. It just looks like the other guy fell down.

I heard that if you're in a rear naked choke you are supposed to put your hands in a plucking motion to try and force his arm off.. Is this what happens while bending to flip the guy over? I can see someone trained in MMA being able to easily flip you over but I feel like a common man wouldn't be able to do it, right?
It's not that hard. Try it with a training partner. "Don't get in one" is the best advice for getting out of a rear naked. You're in trouble as soon as anyone is behind you. There's technique to sinking the choke correctly. One arm goes in front of his throat, grabs the bicep of your other arm. Then with your one free hand you press on the back of his head. Even with a proper choke, if the guy just bends at the waist, you will go flying over his back, unless you have your legs hooked into him. With your legs on him, you still go flying, but you take him with you and he stays in the choke.

Here's a pic of BJ Penn finishing a rear naked. Notice his legs, he has "set his hooks." That allows him to roll with the other guy and also to stretch out his body backwards, making the choke work better.

Tenacity

Banned
Reaction score
I believe Bruce Lee said something along the lines of him fearing someone who has practiced the same move 1000 times versus someone who has practiced 1000 moves. These weren't his exact words but you get the point.

That being said what are some simple fundamental fighting movies one should learn?

I can think of a right cross in boxing which delivered with enough power could break someone's nose and end a fight.

But what else?
I'm interested in this thread because I honestly am NOT a good "fighter". I think I've lost most of the "fights" I've been in lol. But these fights were mainly all in my teens with a very very few in my early 20's.

Fighting as a grown man is just not the same as fighting as a teen. As a teen, there's always someone there to break up the fight and make sure no one get seriously hurt (only thing seriously hurt is their ego). But when you are fighting as a grown man, there are literally NO rules.

- You can learn all types of material art systems, doesn't mean you will get to use it or if using it would even HELP, if the guy you are fighting has a knife or a gun and all you have is a damn spin kick or some "ground fighting techniques".

- You don't know if the fight is going to be one on one, or if the guy has folks that will quickly jump in.

- If you kick the guy's a.ss, what makes you think the fight is over? Again, he could come back with a weapon and/or come back with multiple people. If he can't get to you, he might get someone close to you.

I guess what I'm saying is that the Martial Arts industry doesn't seem to align with real life, grown man, street fighting. In Martial Arts, it's almost like fighting as a teen where everything is regulated. Nobody is going to get shot, get stabbed, get jumped, or get beaten to the point of where they are seriously injured/paralyzed or die on the spot or die later in the hospital. In addition, nobody is going to get sued, as you might kick the guy's a.ss and embarrass him, but if he gets a civil judgment for $100,000 against you that causes you serious financial setbacks, in the game of life, he won.

And that's what I want to focus on here, the game of life. The game of life is the only "FIGHT" you ought to be trying to win as a Grown Man.

Try to avoid Street Fighting if at all possible. Walk away, avoid idiots, avoid the ghetto, avoid dumb a.sses, avoid women who have Baby Daddy issues. Your "martial arts system" is GREAT for regulated fighting areas such as the Dojo or a Tournament, but Street Fighting is NOT something you need to be risking your life and the life of others around you doing. Be smart.

Last edited:

derby1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ive had loads of street fights/escalated situations......
1..90% of the time.its gonna take about 10 seconds before you get glassed SIMPLE AS,
2..Go and get someone to train you to have a viscous hook im talking knock out good night vienna
3...refer back to number 1
4...floor them in seconds hopefully in a busy place
5...word will spread no man in the area will **** with you again
6. women will want to **** you

AttackFormation

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Because of the very padded mat, which is laid over wooden boards that flex quite a bit, those moves don't work that well in mma. The same move that slams a body to the pavement, inflicting serious damage, does not hurt at all in mma, because of the padded floor. That was my greatest disappointment with the sport, a lethal move on the street could be a waste of time in an mma match. I actually lost my final mma fight because I slammed the kid. He had a standing guillotine, but I slammed him in a way that would have smashed a lot of bones on any sort of solid ground...except a fight cage. We bounced like we were on a trampoline, and he used that space to sink full guard while we were in the air, then tapped me out with the choke. That kid went on to have a pro career and is a much better mma fighter than me. But if we had been on pavement when I slammed him, he may have never gotten up. There is a big difference in the moves that work, depending upon environment.
I'll continue on the note of differences between an mma and real fight.

The most effective weapons in a real fight are eye stabs, trachea stabs and (assuming the target can feel pain at the time) groin shots. They won't kill someone (except through oxygen deprivation if you shatter their windpipe), but they will stop the person in their tracks well enough for you to escape or follow up with the fight ender: a simple bear hug throw to head stomps. Imo, any other weapons are either too risky for an untrained person (like kicking the knee, the guy might still stab you with a knife or your eyes with his fingers) or superfluous (headbutts are great, but so are elbows - and if you're close enough to use either of those, you could just hit their groin and then throw them. Punches likewise can be replaced by the "trinity", and pose a greater risk if you hurt your hand while also being slower than stabs because they require some windup).

The last great weapon is surprise.If you can defend yourself, pretend that you can't and won't until it's too late for them. Don't give them a heads up by making yourself look like you'd fight back. Which brings me to a general point about fighting outside of a sports environment... don't do it. Even if he has no weapon at the time, even if it's only him and not his buddies sneaking up behind you, even if you beat him and avoid charges... he can ambush you or someone close to you at a later time. The best self defense is to avoid fighting.

Last edited:

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am still having a problem picturing flipping a guy over if he tries to get you in a standing rear naked choke... I found the video below which shows a more practical way to get out of it I think

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good video BB, I am not sure how easy it would be to do if someone is pulling you backwards in the choke.. but we can dissect the specifics.

Midnight I am a big fan of boxing so I definitely agree with what you wrote. So my goal of this thread was really to focus on a few techniques from any art that one could perfect. Obviously I wouldn't expect to take down a pro boxer or martial artist. Do you think a 1-2-3 combo is good? How about an overhand right against taller opponents?

Here is the list so far:

Offense
Jab
Right Cross
Rear Naked Choke

Defense
Shrimping
Sprawling
Rear Naked Choke Defense

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's just a cross. It's whatever your dominant side is, the side that is back, right if you are right-handed. Both of those are punches from a little distance. They are going to work better when you are taller than the other guy, with greater reach, and can throw them from a place where he can't reach you. Hooks and uppercuts are for close-range, and by that I mean standing on each other's toes. If you are shorter, you want to get your forehead on his chin and bang away with hooks and uppercuts. Being tall is a disadvantage at very close range.

Punches work when you master your stance, footwork and form, especially how to push off the ground when you punch, transfer weight, and turn your hips into the movement. It tales minutes to learn and a lifetime to master. One of the points of training and drilling something many times is that your mind can perform it on muscle memory and reflex in times of great anxiety and stress, when your conscious mind will fail you.

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's just a cross. It's whatever your dominant side is, the side that is back, right if you are right-handed. Both of those are punches from a little distance. They are going to work better when you are taller than the other guy, with greater reach, and can throw them from a place where he can't reach you. Hooks and uppercuts are for close-range, and by that I mean standing on each other's toes. If you are shorter, you want to get your forehead on his chin and bang away with hooks and uppercuts. Being tall is a disadvantage at very close range.

Punches work when you master your stance, footwork and form, especially how to push off the ground when you punch, transfer weight, and turn your hips into the movement. It tales minutes to learn and a lifetime to master. One of the points of training and drilling something many times is that your mind can perform it on muscle memory and reflex in times of great anxiety and stress, when your conscious mind will fail you.
What are some good combos to throw? 1 - 2? Do you think 1 and an overhand right is a good combo? I am not the tallest guy in the world so I'd often be fighting taller people.

to fight taller guys, you need to get inside on them. if they know anything about fighting, they will simply use their range and height advantage and strike you from a safe distance. you wont even be able to get close enough to land anything. the solution is to work your way inside and take their range away and go to work on their body. thats the simple answer but its a bit more complex than that.

theres so many punch combinations/variations that its hard to go over it all and difficult to explain through a wall of text.

the first thing you should be concerned with is your stance. your feet should be a bit more than shoulder width apart knees slightly bent (like your about to sit down) now you wanna turn your waist/body facing forward (lead hand in the back) and non dominant hand will be in line and pointing slightly forward with your lead foot. your arms should be bent at the elbow close to you, sightly vertical with your fists above your chin area (so as to cover as much as your mid section and not create a opening in your chest area) and your head should be tucked down into your fists (to hide your chin)

this is all just for the stance and you likely wont be getting it right on the first few tries. it takes time.

as for moving, you push off your "rear" foot and inch forward. the goal is to move in small increments while maintaining your stance and not losing your balance. same thing whether you are moving side to side or front to back.
but once you have the stance down you can do everything else.

as far as a right cross (straight right) your supposed to keep your left hand close to your face (holding a phone) to cover your chin while your throw the punch.
the punch itself is thrown by going straight forward from the resting position (without c0cking back) turning your fist so that it ends in a horizontal position at the end of the punch. simultaneously, your rear foot (the one in line with your main hand) is supposed to twist slightly inward as you follow through (like youre squishing a bug) and then bring your hand right back to the resting positing.

for now just practice double jabs and straight rights. do it a million times. 1-1-2. 1-1-2-1 1-2-1-1-2
you can worry about the left hook and uppercuts later.

theres many boxers who made a career out of being simple 1-2 fighters. the eurpean style is even based around it.

get yourself a heavy bag if possible and i can recommend drills for it. you need to start throwing punches to at least develope the muscles to throw a harder punch. if you feel commited to it, you can get in a gym and they will fix up any technique flaws and you WILL have them.

you should also shadow box A LOT. dont worry about it feeling weird or awkward. every boxer shadow boxes as an absolute necessity.

i stumbled upon this channel under a different name a while ago and i remember thinking then that he knew what hes talking about. his channel has seemed to grow since then.

and finally, jump rope jump rope jump rope.
Good stuff, I am going to start training in this next week. I agree boxing is a great self defense mechanism. I do want to add some other moves from other arts like judo, wresteling or jiu jitsu. But again really looking for some basic movies to master from each of these arts. I am not looking to compete against any pros or avid practioncers in the art, just want to know some good moves for basic self defense.