Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Basic Fighting Fundamental Moves to Learn?

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I believe Bruce Lee said something along the lines of him fearing someone who has practiced the same move 1000 times versus someone who has practiced 1000 moves. These weren't his exact words but you get the point.

That being said what are some simple fundamental fighting movies one should learn?

I can think of a right cross in boxing which delivered with enough power could break someone's nose and end a fight.

But what else?

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Punching someone in the face with an unprotected fist is generally inadvisable. You are just as likely to break your hand as you are their face. That's why boxers wear gloves, and massive hand wraps under the gloves - to protect their hands from breaking.

The most important thing to have is your balance and good foot work. It sounds a lot easier than it is, especially when throwing punches. If you watch untrained people fight, look at their feet. They will be off-balance, sometimes enough to make themselves fall down without even being touched. It works both ways - if you can deprive your opponent of his balance, he cannot attack. Try leaning back on your heels until it feels like you might fall over, and then throw a punch. There is no power to it at all.

As far as ground-fighting goes, the most basic defensive move in BJJ is called a "shrimp" move. Here is a link about it: https://www.bjjcanvas.com/shrimping-aint-easy/
If you can shrimp, then no one is ever going to sit on your chest hold you down, which is a good way to get beaten to death.

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Gripfighting in judo, and a couple of preferred throws.

A good closed guard.
You have an example video? And which throws?

Punching someone in the face with an unprotected fist is generally inadvisable. You are just as likely to break your hand as you are their face. That's why boxers wear gloves, and massive hand wraps under the gloves - to protect their hands from breaking.

The most important thing to have is your balance and good foot work. It sounds a lot easier than it is, especially when throwing punches. If you watch untrained people fight, look at their feet. They will be off-balance, sometimes enough to make themselves fall down without even being touched. It works both ways - if you can deprive your opponent of his balance, he cannot attack. Try leaning back on your heels until it feels like you might fall over, and then throw a punch. There is no power to it at all.

As far as ground-fighting goes, the most basic defensive move in BJJ is called a "shrimp" move. Here is a link about it: https://www.bjjcanvas.com/shrimping-aint-easy/
If you can shrimp, then no one is ever going to sit on your chest hold you down, which is a good way to get beaten to death.
I have to disagree regarding punching someone with a fist. I actually think that might be the easiest and most useful move anyone can learn. It is obviously going to depend on where you land the punch, if you hit somewhere hard like a skull than of course you can hurt your hand/wrist. but if you pop someone in the nose or chin that could end the fight right there couldn't it? I think boxers wear gloves because bare knuckle fighting causes a lot more damage is probably against the law. I definitely agree with the footwork and balance aspects though.

Here is an example of this simple boxing move in action. Ray Mercer is a former heavy weight boxing champion who has been in the ring with greats such as Lennox Lewis and Tommy Morrison. He is also an Olympic gold medal winner. He fought in an MMA fight which he had no experience in against Tim Sylvia, a mixed martial artist who has a considerable height and weight advantage on him. Look at how this move played out in this short video:

The shrimping looks interesting but I can't believe it would always stop someone from mounting you. I see UFC guys get ground and pounded often, wouldn't they do this if it prevents that?
However speaking of Jiu Jitsu I think the rear naked choke might be a good fundamental move to have.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The gloves are there for the hands, I promise. Boxers still break their hands so often that there is a common type of fracture named after them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_glove
modern boxing gloves are designed to protect the fighter's hand during a bout

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer's_fracture
Metacarpal fractures are usually caused by the impact of a clenched fist with a hard, immovable object, such as a skull or a wall.

And shrimping is something you learn at one's first bjj class. A typical UFC fighter is a brown or black belt in bjj, which means many years of experience. Every move has a counter-move, but an untrained opponent is not going to know it. I agree that a rear-naked is an essential move to know, but there's more to it than what most people realize. You have to be able to set your hooks (feet) and roll with the other guy as many times as it takes if he tries to roll away from you. If that happens on pavement, it won't be a comfortable experience.

Von

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wanna learn basic fighting?

1. Take Boxing class
2. Take Judo class
3. Take self-defense : Jujitsu, krav maga etc... anything that allow you to twist some ankle or articulation leverage

Why 1 and 2 before 3... cause like BB (for Bible Belt)... punching is quite unnatural actually... In Boxing you learn basic and strong punch attack and defense and you are forced to be conditionned and punching is limited to quick and simple technique easy to remember.. in Judo, you are wrestling and learn how to use cloth... but its also quite simple techniques that are easy to learn and like boxing... they force you to be quite conditionned (ever ran with someone on your back and do squats... painful)

I agree with Bible Belt... the punching with bare knuckle is dangerous just as much for the PUNCHER than the Victim... thats why ''striker'' work on their knuckle endurance... also that's why in Japanese Martials Arts or ''bare knuckle Vale Tudo or K1, Japan Pancras etc... you have actual palm strike ''tai cho'', they use your front arm bones as striking component to stun more without the injuries and cover more space.

About palm strike and punching interview

Here some simple self-defense move but in a ''setup setting''

Here judo efficient mma technique (in UFC, Pancras etc...)

Shoulder throw and hip throw is gold

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Protect your balls.
That's a real thing. It's called 'covering your center line' and it is part of why fighting stances are staggered, with one foot farther forward than the other. You have to be able to twist and block a snap kick coming upward. It's easy to kick to the balls, because even if you miss to one side, your foot will slide up the inside of the thigh and hit them anyway. You have to be able to block that kick before it gets up past your knees.

Nut-kicking used to be a legit move, before the UFC came along. It is a very real part of a "real" fight. When you see fighting matches on tv of any kind, those guys can take a lot more liberties with their stance, because they don't have to protect their nuts.

Furthermore, from the perspective of the law, kicking someone in the balls and running away is probably the best anyone is going to do in a bar fight. Despite being intensely painful and incapacitating, it is not likely to inflict serious injury on either one of you. It's harder to see happen, whether by in-person witnesses or a camera. The case against you is going to be weak, and there is a good chance the cops won't pursue charges. It's a lot better than marking up his face (and your knuckles) for the entertainment of the witnesses until the cops arrive. In that scenario, you are almost certainly going to go to jail.

PokerStar

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A good closed guard.
in a street fight being on your back is the last place you want to be. If you do end up on your back either get back to your feet right away or sweep. Spending any amount of time on our back in a fight leaves you open to more damage.

PokerStar

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The shrimping looks interesting but I can't believe it would always stop someone from mounting you. I see UFC guys get ground and pounded often, wouldn't they do this if it prevents that?
However speaking of Jiu Jitsu I think the rear naked choke might be a good fundamental move to have.
shrimping is used when mounted but to stop someone raining you have to break their posture, either by holding their head or neck close to you.

PokerStar

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ive always thought that a fake kick to the balls would have your opponent cover up his balls and then you go in for the punch. their first reaction always opens them up.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Boxing has a lot of body punches too. I casually train a friend in self defence based on Bible belt and others good advice.

The only time u should fight is when cornered. So practice transitions e.g. palm slap to ear becomes headlock and shoulder throw. And run. Elbow cover a hook and the since the elbow is up throw some elbows.
Of course boxing and judo r missing pieces because they don't practice limb destructions and hand trapping. Check out Silat and Kali. Believe me u ll want that arm control when he pulls a knife.

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The gloves are there for the hands, I promise. Boxers still break their hands so often that there is a common type of fracture named after them.

And shrimping is something you learn at one's first bjj class. A typical UFC fighter is a brown or black belt in bjj, which means many years of experience. Every move has a counter-move, but an untrained opponent is not going to know it. I agree that a rear-naked is an essential move to know, but there's more to it than what most people realize. You have to be able to set your hooks (feet) and roll with the other guy as many times as it takes if he tries to roll away from you. If that happens on pavement, it won't be a comfortable experience.
Will shrimping work in street clothes on pavement? You can perform a rear naked choke standing up right? Like try to get behind the guy and apply the choke while standing...

Wanna learn basic fighting?

1. Take Boxing class
2. Take Judo class
3. Take self-defense : Jujitsu, krav maga etc... anything that allow you to twist some ankle or articulation leverage

Why 1 and 2 before 3... cause like BB (for Bible Belt)... punching is quite unnatural actually... In Boxing you learn basic and strong punch attack and defense and you are forced to be conditionned and punching is limited to quick and simple technique easy to remember.. in Judo, you are wrestling and learn how to use cloth... but its also quite simple techniques that are easy to learn and like boxing... they force you to be quite conditionned (ever ran with someone on your back and do squats... painful)

I agree with Bible Belt... the punching with bare knuckle is dangerous just as much for the PUNCHER than the Victim... thats why ''striker'' work on their knuckle endurance... also that's why in Japanese Martials Arts or ''bare knuckle Vale Tudo or K1, Japan Pancras etc... you have actual palm strike ''tai cho'', they use your front arm bones as striking component to stun more without the injuries and cover more space.

About palm strike and punching interview

Here some simple self-defense move but in a ''setup setting''

Here judo efficient mma technique (in UFC, Pancras etc...)

Shoulder throw and hip throw is gold
I'm basically looking to perfect a few moves not take up an art as Judo, Jiu Jitsu and even Boxing are. Just a few moves that would give me an advantage over someone who can't fight at all.

in a street fight being on your back is the last place you want to be. If you do end up on your back either get back to your feet right away or sweep. Spending any amount of time on our back in a fight leaves you open to more damage.
I agree. How do you sweep? This is the type of move I'm looking for..

ive always thought that a fake kick to the balls would have your opponent cover up his balls and then you go in for the punch. their first reaction always opens them up.
Or vice versa :)

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Will shrimping work in street clothes on pavement? You can perform a rear naked choke standing up right? Like try to get behind the guy and apply the choke while standing...
Shrimping will work under any circumstances, as an escape from being mounted. You might lose some skin if you are scooting across pavement, but it's worth it to not get beaten to death. An ex of mine had two guys fight to the death over her. The smaller guy never had much of a chance. Shrimping alone would have saved his life.

As far as a rear naked from behind, it works until the other guy bends down and flips you over his back. The you have to set your hooks and pull him into a roll with you onto the ground, which may not be fun. On pavement, it's better to control the head with one hand and push into the small of his back so he falls back into you and cannot roll. You can actually pull a man down from behind by his head, lean into the back of his head with your chest when he is down and break his neck quite easily. But unless he is about to murder you, that move will get you into legal trouble.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's a cool video. The gis that they are wearing make it a lot easier to grip the other guy. If you are street-fighting in cold weather, then your opponent will likely have on enough clothes to grip. But if it's summer, he will be like a greased pig. For that move under such circumstances, you would want double underhooks, your arms through his arm pits. That's how you move him with you when there is no clothing to grab.

Von

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Here's what I used to practice for grappling and he's actually one of the 3 sensei (a family : father and sons)... old video but summarize with good sweep... the music is painful.

The guy also a boxing champion (every day he would be 30 minutes boxing on the bag before class and I would spar sometime with him) and work as a bodyguard for international stars. Since I was doing Muay Thai also.. it was fun to challenge him and get destroyed lol.. his hands were too fast

Video is 7minute short (5 minutes of hand to hand, 2 minutes of sword fight... never did any sword in their class), but those show ''simple and efficient techniques'' like the some more movie style

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The key to a sweep is the set-up. If the other guy doesn't see it coming, you barely have to touch him. If he does see it coming, nothing works. He just moves his weight backwards to counter it. So the set up can be that move that he successfully defends, but has to move his weight one direction, and that is your opening for the sweep.

There's a great bjj drill, working a kimura shoulder lock from full guard. If your opponent presses down, you roll him into the lock. If he pulls away, you use that movement to hit the sweep. What you do depends upon what he does. "Be like water" like Bruce Lee said.

Von

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The key to a sweep is the set-up. If the other guy doesn't see it coming, you barely have to touch him. If he does see it coming, nothing works. He just moves his weight backwards to counter it. So the set up can be that move that he successfully defends, but has to move his weight one direction, and that is your opening for the sweep.

There's a great bjj drill, working a kimura shoulder lock from full guard. If your opponent presses down, you roll him into the lock. If he pulls away, you use that movement to hit the sweep. What you do depends upon what he does. "Be like water" like Bruce Lee said.
Yeah everything actually depends on the water aspect in element of surprise.

You have to be conditionned and your brain has to be calm (adrenaline rush controlled)

I've applied a few throws and sweep in real life... and they worked the best even ''street scenarios'' compared to some wrist lock movement,,, you gotta keep it simple,fast, efficent

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Because of the very padded mat, which is laid over wooden boards that flex quite a bit, those moves don't work that well in mma. The same move that slams a body to the pavement, inflicting serious damage, does not hurt at all in mma, because of the padded floor. That was my greatest disappointment with the sport, a lethal move on the street could be a waste of time in an mma match. I actually lost my final mma fight because I slammed the kid. He had a standing guillotine, but I slammed him in a way that would have smashed a lot of bones on any sort of solid ground...except a fight cage. We bounced like we were on a trampoline, and he used that space to sink full guard while we were in the air, then tapped me out with the choke. That kid went on to have a pro career and is a much better mma fighter than me. But if we had been on pavement when I slammed him, he may have never gotten up. There is a big difference in the moves that work, depending upon environment.

Macaframalama

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A few things that are very easy to learn and practice on your own, until you can pick up some experience is how to sprawl, lessening the chances that you end up on the ground in the first place. A jab, the quickest, easiest way from point A to B. Learning and getting comfortable moving out of their range and back into yours as well as side stepping. After you got that down, I would start working on a few combinations and a triangle choke hold, in case you ever do end up your back and in-fighting with knees and elbows. Having the willingness to escalate violence is probably the biggest consideration that will determine whether you kick a$$ or get your a$$ kicked. I would honestly try to avoid these situations in the first place, as there is alot more to consider, than just getting your a$$ kicked. Some ppl refuse to lose at all cost.