Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Academics, grad school...

Centy

Don Juan
Reaction score
why do people think that grad-school is such a huge thing? It's not. Get over it!

TooColdUlrick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Centy
why do people think that grad-school is such a huge thing? It's not. Get over it!
it's called making yourself better off.

So Many Ways

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is a great thread. This is some serious knowledge being passed along here. I think I'm going to post more on this board.

I have a question regarding grad school. I have considered getting an MS in Computer Science. As an undergrad, my grades were admittedly poor (GPA well below 3.0, JC transfer to Cal State school). Is grad school even an option for someone in my position?

Le Parisien

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by So Many Ways
I have a question regarding grad school. I have considered getting an MS in Computer Science. As an undergrad, my grades were admittedly poor (GPA well below 3.0, JC transfer to Cal State school). Is grad school even an option for someone in my position?
actually this is a tricky question.
Normally, all the "respectable" institutions (not some Pheonix online university or scams like that) will require a minimum of 3.0 GPA for a MS in Computer Science. But something below doesn'y make it impossible.

I was admitted with a GPA that was equivalent to something between B- and C+, but the circumstances were special.
I was from the French system, the grading criteria in Feance are way tougher (for example, an average student usually only get 10 out of 20, and 16 out of 20 is the highest reasonably achievable score).
Actually I got rejected at the first place, then the secretary from my French school sent an email to the department in the US explaining that a French B- is NOT an American B- and blabla... Also they had a French student the previous year from my school with similar French GPA. He did pretty well at the American university so they kinda knew it wasn't just bullsh*t. They probably still got some openings so I eventually got admitted, I received my admission for fall 2002 only in June 2002.:eek:.
Anyway, they didn't get tricked, since I will be graduating with a GPA of 3.5. Hey, the American curriculum are just TOO easy, I didn't even study that much.:D

So the point is: still give it a try if you really want to do it, you have nothing to lose anyway.

So Many Ways

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Le Parisien
actually this is a tricky question.
Normally, all the "respectable" institutions (not some Pheonix online university or scams like that) will require a minimum of 3.0 GPA for a MS in Computer Science. But something below doesn'y make it impossible.

I was admitted with a GPA that was equivalent to something between B- and C+, but the circumstances were special.
I was from the French system, the grading criteria in Feance are way tougher (for example, an average student usually only get 10 out of 20, and 16 out of 20 is the highest reasonably achievable score).
Actually I got rejected at the first place, then the secretary from my French school sent an email to the department in the US explaining that a French B- is NOT an American B- and blabla... Also they had a French student the previous year from my school with similar French GPA. He did pretty well at the American university so they kinda knew it wasn't just bullsh*t. They probably still got some openings so I eventually got admitted, I received my admission for fall 2002 only in June 2002.:eek:.
Anyway, they didn't get tricked, since I will be graduating with a GPA of 3.5. Hey, the American curriculum are just TOO easy, I didn't even study that much.:D

So the point is: still give it a try if you really want to do it, you have nothing to lose anyway.
Alright, thanks for answering my question. Now my second question is this. Professionally, do you believe there is a significant benefit to pursuing an MS in Computer Science? Basically I want to get into hard core coding. I majored in CIS in college and did some web development and programming work and now I'm doing system admin work, which is not what I went to school for and very unchallenging. Is this a good avenue to pursue in order to achieve that objective?

Thanks.

Big Pappy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Women in graduate school.
Tao - what you describe in your post is not what I'd call a fair description. But, if that's what you see when you look at them, perhaps you should change your playground.

So Many Ways - Grad School is always an option. My university will take anybody. www.usouthal.edu They won't necessarily keep you; that's up to you. I had a 2.3 undergrad in business. I've got a 4.0 in CS grad school. It's much easier when you actually attend class and study.

stevera004

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by So Many Ways
Now my second question is this. Professionally, do you believe there is a significant benefit to pursuing an MS in Computer Science? Basically I want to get into hard core coding.
Thanks.
Yes to the MS. It's only 18-24 months. Only get a PhD if you find you love research. If not (the answer was no for me) bail and use those 5 years that would've been wasted on a PhD for making $$$.