Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

A-Unit: Nutrition + the "right" stimulus = growth.

Viroid

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
shaunuk said:
Erm, so in your opinion, how should a bodybuilder's routine differ from the basic routines proposed here? Why would it possibly be different (serious question...)?

-shaun
High frequency low volume.

Viroid

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
EFFORT said:
So take your average 165lb guy that wants to add size. His big 3 lifts are poor. You think the best way to size this guy up is to put him on a volume training (bodybuilding style) program where hes using wussy weight to do his sets with? ex max squat is 135lbs so he'll be doing rep work with around 60-80lbs (something like 4x8)

or to put that guy on a powerlifting style routine get his big lifts up to respectable numbers like i outline ex his max squat is 450 now(and he'll have size to match), so now we put him on that same bodybuilding style routine and hes using 250-270lbs for his rep work (something like 4x8)

assuming his eating is good for both methods which way do you think will work better?

Volume training is very effective but only if your using big numbers for your rep work. People get confused because they see the big bodybuilders doing there routines with high volume but miss the fact that the BB's have respectable numbers in the big 3.

Since you've been around the block your big 3 are up there so when your doing your volume training the weight your using for your rep work is giving you your success where as the average guy with sucky big 3's is using wuss weight for his rep work and won't have success.
Youre ASSUMING i meant high volume.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So you meant High Frequency, Low Volume? Sounds like a form of strength training.

Viroid

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
EFFORT said:
So you meant High Frequency, Low Volume? Sounds like a form of strength training.
Sure. You can adapt any kind of training routine/program for strength.

When I say high frequency/low volume I mean training each body part 3 times a week with one excercise, 1-2 sets per exercise. 2 sets for bigger body parts 1 set for smaller body parts.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As long as the focus is getting the big 3 to respectable numbers then its good.

Viroid

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Effort,

Could you post your workout routine for me?

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey i would but ironaddict doesn't allow any of his trainees to post routines that he writes us.

He uses a ton of different routines for people. His first goal with a trainee is to get there big lifts up to good numbers and he'll use lots of Modified Westside Barbell Routines, 5x5 variations, and 10x3 variations to accomplish that.

danielzxc

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Getting the "Big 3" up to decent numbers is a good plan. People just need to remember that just because you do get really strong on the big 3 you won't NECESSARILY have gotten very big. This is the sad truth of bodybuilding. Some people WILL get heaps strong, and eat right and rest right and do everything right. But the strength gains alone will not cause the growth they are seeking. This isn't just theory, there are PLENTY of living, breathing examples of this around.

Getting the big 3 up there is a good FIRST STEP in any plan. But eventually, most people seeking SIZE will need to go beyond it.

In my opinion, 'respectable' numbers for the Big 3 are:

Bench: bodyweight x 10
Squat: bw x 20
Deads: 1.5 x bw x 10

If by then you haven't noticed any significant changes in your physique, it's okay to continue getting stronger, but I would start incorporating more volume, higher frequency and auxiliary exercises.