Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

A Question for the Older Players Here

Zimbabwe

Banned
Reaction score
I was having a Conversation with my father this morning, he mentioned that today's men have it much easier when it comes to dating and That i have no excuse not to be bringing home a new girl every week.

He said back in the day they didn't have smartphones so they had to memorise girls numbers and when they called them up it was a 50/50 gamble on wether or not their father would be the one to pick up. He said he always had to think fast and get the fathers permission to ask his daughter out.

He mentioned that with online dating it should be super easy for men today, my father hasn't dated for a while since he hot married in the 80s.

I'm just wondering if the older players here can shed some light, was it really harder back then or the same or easier?

joesbigship

Banned
Reaction score
Guys didn't even have access to pen and paper back in the day? Sounds more like the jurassic era instead of the 20th century.

Phones only worked after 5 PM when parents got home and you couldn't call at 3 or 4 in the afternoon when they weren't?

You couldn't talk to a girl before, during or after school?

Billtx49

Reaction score
I was having a Conversation with my father this morning, he mentioned that today's men have it much easier when it comes to dating and That i have no excuse not to be bringing home a new girl every week.

He said back in the day they didn't have smartphones so they had to memorise girls numbers and when they called them up it was a 50/50 gamble on wether or not their father would be the one to pick up. He said he always had to think fast and get the fathers permission to ask his daughter out.

He mentioned that with online dating it should be super easy for men today, my father hasn't dated for a while since he hot married in the 80s.

I'm just wondering if the older players here can shed some light, was it really harder back then or the same or easier?
Well, biology and mating desire haven’t changed since his day. Contact methods are easier, but society is also more mobile, and social circles are more digital and easier also because of instant gratification.
It’s changed some, but not enough to say it’s entirely different now, but I would actually call it easier also.

Zimbabwe

Banned
Reaction score
Well, biology and mating desire haven’t changed since his day. Contact methods are easier, but society is also more mobile, and social circles are more digital and easier also.
It’s changed some, but not enough to say it’s entirely different now.
I'm just bringing this up since a lot of people say Covid made things like OLD harder, but it wasn't exactly any easier before.

Maybe people look at the past with rose tinted glasses.

Guys didn't even have access to pen and paper back in the day? Sounds more like the jurassic era instead of the 20th century.

Phones only worked after 5 PM when parents got home and you couldn't call at 3 or 4 in the afternoon when they weren't?

You couldn't talk to a girl before, during or after school?
You walked around the nightclub with a pen and paper?

Plinco

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

I was active on the scene when I was in high school back in the early 2000's, before the social media days. It's honestly like comparing apples and oranges. People were more common sense oriented back then. I would say that openness is about the same, with some exceptions. Memorizing someone's phone number was natural believe or not, so that was not a big deal.

Overall I would say that things were better 20 years ago for two reasons: 1.) no social media, and almost everyone had basic social skills, 2.) I think people were happier then compared to today.

I live in the USA, which might be different than Australia.

Zimbabwe

Banned
Reaction score
I was active on the scene when I was in high school back in the early 2000's, before the social media days. It's honestly like comparing apples and oranges. People were more common sense oriented back then. I would say that openness is about the same, with some exceptions. Memorizing someone's phone number was natural believe or not, so that was not a big deal.

Overall I would say that things were better 20 years ago for two reasons: 1.) no social media, and almost everyone had basic social skills, 2.) I think people were happier then compared to today.

I live in the USA, which might be different than Australia.
The phone number one is big, people my age don't even know their own number at all. It's hard for me to even imagine a world without social media since i grew up with it.

But i do agree that social media has killed peoples social skills, I'm amazed at how insular people have become.

So many older folk i talk to mention how their children just lock themselves in their rooms all day everyday.

2Rocky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So I got married before cell phones. I came back into the market little over 6 years ago. Used Tinder a couple times with success. Social media sure was a good research tool, and helped me build MY image and expand my social circle. I think the fact that SO MANY of these girls have big IG accounts just makes guys thirstier because they have access to communicating with more attractive women than we ever did when you didn't have a giant digital catalog. In turn guys think that they are entitled to these women's attention. Because there are so many!

My metro area in a 20 mile radius in my 20's was probably 250,000 people. And you had to be where the attractive girls were to have access to them. Now I can see a picture of a hot chick and send her a message. Do you know how incredible that is? it is an embarassment of riches.

....And the sheer accessibility has completely devalued the intimacy of having a phone number or way to communicate, and the way people communicate shows a lack of respect for the language. Yes I text in complete sentences. And I express myself pretty good...it seemed to work...

Plinco

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The phone number one is big, people my age don't even know their own number at all. It's hard for me to even imagine a world without social media since i grew up with it.

But i do agree that social media has killed peoples social skills, I'm amazed at how insular people have become.

So many older folk i talk to mention how their children just lock themselves in their rooms all day everyday.
Everyone used to memorize phone numbers of their family and closest friends. That ended around the mid-2000s with cell phones becoming wide spread. I remember calling a girlfriend I had in 2001 on a land line, and asking her mom or step dad to give her the phone.

As far as the social skills go, your generation is a disaster. Prior to the 2010's you could have a solid conversation and make solid eye contact with a girl, unless she was really introverted. Even then if you got to know her, she would open up and would sustain a conversation. Today I've noticed a lot of younger people not being able to sustain eye contact.

Plinco

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh and here's another one for you. When I was in middle and high school, girls used to pass notes around if they wanted to communicate silently haha. If a girl liked you, she would hand you a folded up piece of paper with paragraphs and her phone number.

Zimbabwe

Banned
Reaction score
So I got married before cell phones. I came back into the market little over 6 years ago. Used Tinder a couple times with success. Social media sure was a good research tool, and helped me build MY image and expand my social circle. I think the fact that SO MANY of these girls have big IG accounts just makes guys thirstier because they have access to communicating with more attractive women than we ever did when you didn't have a giant digital catalog. In turn guys think that they are entitled to these women's attention. Because there are so many!

My metro area in a 20 mile radius in my 20's was probably 250,000 people. And you had to be where the attractive girls were to have access to them. Now I can see a picture of a hot chick and send her a message. Do you know how incredible that is? it is an embarassment of riches.

....And the sheer accessibility has completely devalued the intimacy of having a phone number or way to communicate, and the way people communicate shows a lack of respect for the language. Yes I text in complete sentences. And I express myself pretty good...it seemed to work...
So basically making things easier made the barrier of entry lower thus making men worse in the long run?

Everyone used to memorize phone numbers of their family and closest friends. That ended around the mid-2000s with cell phones becoming wide spread. I remember calling a girlfriend I had in 2001 on a land line, and asking her mom or step dad to give her the phone.

As far as the social skills go, your generation is a disaster. Prior to the 2010's you could have a solid conversation and make solid eye contact with a girl, unless she was really introverted. Even then if you got to know her, she would open up and would sustain a conversation. Today I've noticed a lot of younger people not being able to sustain eye contact.
I feel like the older generations were thrown straight into the deep end, you either sunk or swim.

This only motivates more to focus only on in person approaches and ditch OLD altogether

I'm surprised anyone would say that it's easier now. Isn't female entitlement at an all time high?
I told my father this and he told me to "stop making excuses"

Stuffnu

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just turned 50 but I’m not sure if either generation had an advantage.
Back in the day, you actually had to talk to people over the phone or in person. So it was easier to screen for potential by either parties.
If only I was able to go back in time with the Delorean and my red pill awareness. I would have slayed so much more without my pubescent beta quantities.
Today’s generation, even red piled, interaction is abundant with a simple swipe to the right but in-person interaction is non-existent or quickly discarded.
Arthritis of the thumb is going to be chronic ailment in the future.

joesbigship

Banned
Reaction score
I'm just bringing this up since a lot of people say Covid made things like OLD harder, but it wasn't exactly any easier before.

Maybe people look at the past with rose tinted glasses.

You walked around the nightclub with a pen and paper?
Pre covid is 2020.

You're talking about your dad, who I assume is 50 something or early 60's? Late 40's? If 50's, then he was in his 20's in the 90's.

Flip phones started becoming widely available in the mid '90's if I'm correct. Pagers and beepers were widely used prior. You didn't have to carry a pen and paper, but maybe the bartender or waitress used one and you could borrow one for a second?

I don't think you have a clear sense of timelines here lol.

2Rocky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I remember calling Sorority Landlines and waiting for whomever was on phone duty to find the particular girl I was calling....

Thus when I saw her in person, on campus, I didn't mess around, and was straight to the point.

Machine10033

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I actually never got on social media and never did OLD. I refuse to move on from my glory days. I think the “old” days were slightly harsher. You had to meet the girl in person... usually cold approach... and impress her enough to keep things moving. I still memorize phone numbers ...it actually blows peoples minds when I tell them their number.

the irony is when I meet a younger girl now. They always ask if I’m on Facebook, Instagram, tinder... whatever... and when I say no it usually garners an insane amount of interest.

HaleyBaron

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lol I remember having to memorize phone numbers. In the shower, I sometimes think about how I use to know so many people's numbers, but now I only know mines. It's kinda sad.

The Duke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What makes today's dating so hard is everyone has access to everyone. Guys with SMV(sexual market value) of a 4 can message a girl with an SMV of 8. All it does is boost her ego and make it harder for the guys with a legitimate shot. When everyone can message her, the messages from guys that actually have a shot get lost in the crowd. No girl wants to sort thru 50 messages a day from random dudes she isn't even interested in.

Another issue is Interest level can be faked so easily with such little effort on both sides when using online dating.

So with a perceived abundance comes other issues. There are just new issues. In the end things aren't any harder or easier.

RickPound

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
This got me thinking… I was hooking up and calling girls before everybody had a cell phone. I had to call their house and ask for them when their parents answered and same when they called my house. This would be like 5th grade into early high school.

I remember talking to girls all night until our parents made us get off the phone.

If a girl didn’t want to talk to you she had to get her mom or dad (or brother or somebody) to cover for her and say she wasn’t there or something. And at the age where the f*ck could she be? She was either home or at soccer practice.

A lot easier these days to ignore, ghost, manipulate etc

Willie Naylor

Banned
Reaction score
Nah, things had to have been easier all around back in his day.

Technology has only made things worse. People are less social than ever before.