Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

300 - The Movie

Raikojo17

Banned
Reaction score
they went to fight because they would have been comlpetely desimated if that didnt. The persians were on the move, if u guys are wondering.

but i thought it was sweet. the action was extreme, but realistic enough. dead bodies do not leave pulls of blood on the ground like some people think, because did body's blood no longer flows, so it doesnt bleed out anymore. so there woudlnt have been any rivers of blood.

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just talked with my friend, whom is Iranian, he said that he would actually go watch it if it would have been fair.

He thinks that it is unfair how badly the Iranians looked in it. We talked for maybe an hour or so on different things about it. We both agreed that the action in the movie looked cool, but the overtones were bullsh1t.

I still loved the movie though.

comic_relief

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I had multiple orgasms during the movie. It was beautiful!

bigshot

Don Juan
Reaction score
well, i dno about u guys, but it gets me pumped for the gym!

MrS

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm Greek, so:

Battle of Thermopylae was basically Greeks getting together to fend off those pesky Persians. Thermopyles is a mountain pass, http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/Histor...hermopylae.gif .
They learnt that a HUGE Persian force was heading their way, they didn't have a chance against them. So, Spartans being Spartans, told the other Greeks to push back and they would stay and buy them time. There WERE more than those 1000 Greeks there, there were people from all over.

300 Spartans and 700 Thespieis stayed behind to fend off the Persians at the pass of Thermopylae. Xerxes sent wave after wave through the tight pass, but the better training and fighting spirit of the Greeks was too much for them, and the Persians were losing MANY troops, and the Greeks nearly none. At some point, the Persians fell back under the order of Xerxes. A Greek traitor, by the name of Ephialtes (meaning nightmare in Greek), told the Persians of another road leading to the pass through the mountains. With another path through to the Greeks, the Persian forces were able to pour more troops in, ultimately overcoming the brave protectors of Greece.

The "300" people keep going on about is just to make it a bit more interesting. What sounds better, those meaty Spartan fellas killing thousands of Persians and then succumbing, or being told about another 700 blokes who stood there with them, but who's city-state didn't do much else noteworthy?

Anyway, there you go.
The Battle of Salamis (naval battle) was another example of the Greek's war smarts, they used fewer, smaller vessels to obliterate the Persian warships.
That happened around the same time, if I remember correctly.

At the battle of Thermopylae, King Leonidas uttered the famous words "Molon Lave" which basically means "come and get them", after being told to surrender his weapons.
When Queen Gorgo says "Come back with your shield, or on it", they used to say "E tan i epi tas", in ancient Greek.

I'm in the army, at the moment, and it so happens that our division's coat of arms, so to speak, is the symbol of that historic battle.

seanchai

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
comic_relief said:
He thinks that it is unfair how badly the Iranians looked in it. We talked for maybe an hour or so on different things about it. We both agreed that the action in the movie looked cool, but the overtones were bullsh1t.
On a tangent...

There's a movie about Vikings coming out called "Pathfinder," wherein Vikings terrorize Native Americans until one of their own, left behind in the first attack, strikes back during the second. It seems to portray Vikings in the same light that Persians are depicted in 300. Do you think people of Viking descent (myself included :D ) will be upset by this?

My guess is no. I guess Iranians have the right to be upset by their portrayal, IF they believe the people of the Persian Empire are the same "nation" as them. I don't see it that way, and I won't be offended that the proto-Norwegian barbarians look so bad in this film, because I don't draw a connection stretching a thousand years into antiquity between me and them. The Vikings of 1000 AD aren't the Norwegians of today, and the Persians of 480 BC aren't the Iranians of today.

Plus that Viking movie is gonna totally suck.

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When I saw this movie, I asked...Where's the plot?

Seriously. War movies without plots belong to the 30s. If I wanted to see a computer animated hackfest, I'd go play a video game.

And don't say war movies can't have plots. Some of the most famous war movies have excellent plots.

cant think of a user name

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
doctoroxygen said:
My favorite part was the gratuitous sex scene near the beginning..what did it add to the movie to show the queen getting it from behind? Not that I was complaining :)
Haha yeah people were laughing at that in the cinema - and also how they edited it so you see every change of sex position.

Come to think of it the film is kind of comedic. There are so many parts where people started laughing out loud at the gratuitous-ness or ridiculous-ness of scenes. Though to give credit, I think perhaps the filmmaker intended it to evoke such reactions.

It's a bit of fun.

Rebound Material

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
did anyone else notice that the whole movie was basically in slow motion scenes?

Booblepook

Don Juan
Reaction score
I finally watched this movie tonight. Man, what a great film! Of course, it is not historically accurate, but it was never intended to be historically accurate. 300 the film is much like film noir, only except black and white this movie riddled in mystical things.. Such as when messenger arrives with his message and speaks about sparta submitting to the rule of Xerxes, instantly a deep pit opens up, and messenger is right at the edge of it.. It was a great movie! Men were top notch, women were top notch, story line was top notch, and especially fighting was top notch..

At the end, they didn't waste time with battle after 300 got flanked, instead, they showed this last struggle as the last remaining out of 300 cuddled in a bowl, shielding themselves from arrows and spears, with Leonidas standing besides them, leading them. He drops his shield and helmet, they are too heavy. They launch a final assault, almost killing Xerxes, and sending a message that is bound to resonate loud and clear throughout our history. Watch this movie and you will hear it.

This is a movie that Leonidas could be proud of. Just think of this, 2500 years later, we still remember the 300.

reset

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When I saw it in theatres I thought it was fun, but over the top, forgot it. Then I started getting into movies that are about masculinity, got the DVD, and I've watched it about four times now. The way the king handles himself is pretty much how you want to be. It's a movie about celbrating being a man.

ChrizZ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Prolly one of the best movies ever IMO.

I could watch it everyday.

KontrollerX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
*What ChriZz and reset said*

Plus it was interesting for me to find out that the guy who played Xerxes wasn't actually a 7ft tall bald black domineering homosexual in real life like his character in the movie but a guy who was brazillian with pale skin, shoulder length black hair who is 6ft tall and I believe heterosexual.

Incredible though what the digital effects made him into in that movie lol.

BMX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The violence and action was there. Good fight sequences that entertained. The animation with the arrows blacking out the sky was neat, and the narrator was not speaking in a monotone voice which helps.

ChrizZ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
KontrollerX said:
*What ChriZz and reset said*

Plus it was interesting for me to find out that the guy who played Xerxes wasn't actually a 7ft tall bald black domineering homosexual in real life like his character in the movie but a guy who was brazillian with pale skin, shoulder length black hair who is 6ft tall and I believe heterosexual.

Incredible though what the digital effects made him into in that movie lol.
He's actually supposed to be over 9ft tall in the movie.

They used a real guy that was like 7ft3 for the scene in which leonidas fights that big ass monster dude though.