Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

300 - The Movie

seanchai

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I thought it was ok. The idea that Sparta was fighting for freedom and Greece is pretty absurd though. "We fight for freedom [the freedom to only be a soldier, to be killed at birth if deemed weak] and reason [where have I read of Spartan philosophy being given to posterity - oh yeah, nowhere]!" The ahistorical nationalist twang to all of it was irritating, and I wish there had been more blood on the ground - I found that disconcerting. But I got chills from the last speech. :rock:

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In the pre-release hysteria, I found myself researching the Battle of Thermopylae. The movie is based on a little moment in history... and really does a good job of that little moment. If you want character development, go read a history book.

• The movie style is much like Sin City, and if you'd watch them back-to-back, you wouldn't say the effects sucked in either - both are "artisitic". The "fuzzy" blood is there as a "placeholder", it wasn't the focus, and wasn't what you should've been watching anyway. By making it "fuzzy", your eyes snap back to the action automatically.

• The 'monsters' complaint is bunk. The rhino and the elephants, completely possible: they are just larger than average specimens. It is well known that Persians used war elephants. The big pizzed off ogre, possible. (Andre the giant, anyone?) Disfigured hunchback? Possible. And that hacked up dude with the "blade arms"... well, that dude was grotesquely butchered and disfigured. We've got prosthetic arms and such... how is this so hard to imagine? As for the immortals, who knows what sort of tortures they had to endure to get their faces jacked like that. Filing down teeth? Possible. If Spartans were thrown into the warrior world at 7, there's no telling when the immortals started getting teeth pulled forward and faces stretched... or whatever.

• That little moment in history, the Battle of Thermopylae, was actually well portrayed considering it was a movie. The hot walls were located near hot springs, and actually called the hot walls. The lines "Then we will fight in the shade" (response to the arrows blacking out the sky warning), "Come and take them" (repsonse to 'lay down your arms'), and Leonidas' sending one soldier back to tell the tale: all documented.

•In fact, there is a monument there on which it is enscribed the bit about the "300 dead here by Spartan Law". The enscription has been translated many ways, but the gist is "Passerby, here lie 300 dead, Spartans by law, go and tell them all." The rough meaning conveys Leonidas' wish that those dead Spartans be remembered; for their bravery, for their sacrafice, for their dedication, etc.

•The Spartan (allied) army was, indeed, betrayed by a herdsman (or something similar) who had shown the persians a path to go around in the mountains.

•The actual numbers were initially something like 7000 Spartans and Allies against some 200,000 Persians/Allies. There was some sort of festival, and upon orginal confrontation, the Spartans and Allies retreated to a spot where they could hold off the Persians while the rest fell back to regroup and gather reinforcements in Sparta. In addition to the 300 Spartans, approx. 1400 + 400 stayed. The Spartan 'Army' that remained did, indeed, unleash some serious butchery.

•There were huge piles of bodies documented. :up:

Given that the movie was about that one battle, a battle where 300 Spartans seriously butchered a bunch of Persians in order to buy time for their Army to gather and the festival to finish, I'd say it was an awesome movie. The embellishments, effects, dialogue... trivial. The plotline had to be there in order for women to be able to stomach the violence. Remember how Fight Club was criticised for it's violence? Same thing. The chick I was with loved it. So, cool.

Having been in the service, things like honor, bravery, valor, sacrafice, and glory give me a chubby. So, I have nothing bad to say about the movie...

except for the puss on those monk dudes' faces in the same scene with the t!tt!es. Ewww. And puss dude licking that chick?!?! Double Ewww.

Last edited:

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
CCKazi007 said:
It was good but not awesome, around 7/10 could have been WAY better.

Cons

- Minimal historical accuracy, ex. messenger suppose to kill himself not become king.
There were actually TWO messengers. One killed himself because he never went back on time. The other one was ridiculized by the Spartans as they viewed him as a coward and it took him a LOT to gain that respect again.

- Dialogue is pretty melodramatic weird for a SPARTAN.
Actually...some of the dialogue was very accurate.

I fact some famous historical quotes attributed to this battle were portrait in the picture. See below some information for the online encyclopedia...

...the Athenians threw their envoys into a pit and the Spartans threw theirs into a well, taunting them with the retort, "Dig it out for yourselves" (referring to the 'earth and water' demand).

Then Xerxes asked him more forcefully to surrender their arms. To this Leonidas gave his noted answer:

(pronounced: /mol??n labe/),
meaning "Come take them". This quote has been repeated by many later generals and politicians in order to express an army's or nation's determination to not surrender without a battle. It is today the emblem of the Greek First Army Corps.[13]

Despite their extremely disproportionate numbers, Greek morale was high. Herodotus writes that when Dienekes, a Spartan soldier, was informed that Persian arrows would be so numerous as "to blot out the sun", he remarked with characteristically laconic prose, "So much the better, we shall fight in the shade." Today Dienekes's phrase is the motto of the Greek 20th Armored Division.[14]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae

wayword

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
CCKazi007 said:
Natural born persians are suppose to look a little tanned they're not black... just tanned. I still think it's kinda sucky that the persian king was metrosexual or homosexual. He actually fought in the battle in real life.
There was some underlying racism here.

I think the Greeks were lightened up and the Persians darkened up. Not to mention, Greeks were well-known for homosexuality back then...but I dunno about the Persians...

Skel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"The actual numbers were initially something like 7000 Spartans and Allies against some 200,000 Persians/Allies."

Actually it was 10k

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Skel said:
"The actual numbers were initially something like 7000 Spartans and Allies against some 200,000 Persians/Allies."

Actually it was 10k

"Estimated numbers by historians (there are no exact counts) range from 5,000-10,000 Spartans/Allies versus 150,000 - 300,000 (some estimates even claim nearly 500,000) Persians/Allies"

How's that? Better?

Point is, it should have been a blowout. But the Spartans slaughtered the fux out of the Persians before finally being overrun.

To be specific "7,000" is, actually, "something like" "10k" when comparing to a force 20x larger.

Pakwah

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
This movie IMO was beautifully shot with an amazing score. So what if it isnt exactly true, they just want to tell a story. I believe that the story was a bit lacking but it made it up strongly in visual effects and soundtracks. I would see it again and will be a definite DVD buy. I think 10 years from now people will still bring this movie up. Seems like a 'stand the test of time' film to me.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Considering that 90% of the movie was shot on greenscreen (well, bluescreen because they believed greenscreen would be too bright) and only 10% was on-location, I thought it was pretty great.

wayword

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eh, I thought it was vastly overrated and just a mish-mash of stock battle flick cliches from Braveheart, Gladiator, Hero, etc etc.

I mean, compare Xerxes' "Immortal" squad with the same metal-masked Emperor's assassins from Curse Of The Golden Flower. Wow, did these same freelance ninjas serve in both Persia & China? :D

It just also seemed ridiculous how these guys just marched off to battle on foot with no supplies other than sandals, leather thongs and red capes. Maybe that's how it was back then, but it reminded me of a boy scout troop leading an "expedition" to the neighborhood park.

Also, the acting wasn't great. Leonides was at least better than Brad Pitt in Achilles...but average at best. I never felt moved or emotionally engaged in the movie.

I thought Jaye Davidson did a great job portraying an intriguing god-king, Xerxes, though. Although, the greatest special effect of the film was making this 5'3" midget appear 8' tall! :crackup:

Morphiex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Omg people ffs, this movie isent about the battle of thermopylae , its a movie about the FICTIONAL comic book of frank Miller wich is called 300 , wich is based on a certain aspect from the battle of thermopylae , THat aspect is That 300 men went into a battle knowing their iminent death and still faught without fear. Thats what the movie is about. Theres no need to compare actual historical facts to this movie ,as this movie is based on a fictional comic book , i can pretty safely say that there werent any 400 pound nipplering wearing sword for arms guys in real life back then. It was a fictional , if your comparing this movie to historical events then you have compleatly misunderstood what this movie was about.

Also many of you bring up the race **** , The perisans had conqoured the world and used slaves as their warriors , they werent all persians that faught they were people from different places , so yes the blacks the browns they all fit in... its nothing racist....

also Read A-units pots on the bottum of page 1

dont ruin this movie by comparing it to historical facts , enjoy it for whata it is , a great action movie with a increadible story to tell...

sexxyback

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The use of CG in movies is getting really sophisticated and cool. I was first sort of against the idea, but after seeing Sin City and now this movie, I actually think CG effects are actually superior to traditional blue screen/stop motion movie effects a lot of the times. They certainly made this movie a lot more interesting to watch.

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
my ONLY compliant leveled against the movie that is enough to b!tch about is, "WHERE THE HELL IS THE ARMOR?!?"

otherwise, pretty damn good movie and i thoroughly enjoyed it.

comic_relief

nonchalant

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
comic_relief said:
my ONLY compliant leveled against the movie that is enough to b!tch about is, "WHERE THE HELL IS THE ARMOR?!?"

otherwise, pretty damn good movie and i thoroughly enjoyed it.

comic_relief
No doubt, these guys are going into battle practically wearing nothing but a loincloth and cape, oh but they're wearing a helmet so they're ok.

Cash

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I saw a 20 second preview.

It looked like bullshít.

wayword

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Deus ex Pianoforte said:
What movie did YOU watch? In the film "300", Rodrigo Santoro played Xerxes. He's also 6'2.
Hey...you're right! Where the hell did I get Jaye Davidson from? :confused:

Anyhow, Gerard Butler (King Leonidas) is ALSO 6'2"...so there was still some major special FX going on there haha.

BTW, was it just me or did it look like those guys had some body makeup or CGI abs drawn in?

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wayword, they were what is known as "dirty".
:yes:

See, sweat makes dust and dirt stick to your body. If you got covered in dust and dirt, raised areas would be wiped or brushed clean whereas crevices would retain and build up dirt. This would give an "enhanced shadow" look to areas that would normally appear lighter.

I find it somewhat funny how out of touch our modern society has become with the nuances of simple living.

There is a big fuss about steroids and whatnot because folks simply don't appreciate what being dirty looks like any more. :rolleyes: