16 Ways to Eat Healthy While Keeping it Cheap

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Zerix said:
Oh, right, heh my bad.

What would you say is a very high quality one?
CFM Whey Protein Isolate by Glanbia. You'll see the little CFM logo on the protein if it is LEGIT. Some claim to be that, but aren't.

The only whey I use is that one, and it mixes very well, and tastes good too.

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
PeterNorthisawesome said:
Is there a reason why your choosing brown rice instead of white rice? Isn't the content almost the same for both of
em?

http://arp.optimalhealthsystems.com/showeduc.asp?id=7

A lot easier than trying to type about it.

I eat brown rice as well. On occasion I do white, depending on what I eat, but most the time it is brown.

I get the Uncle Bens for about $1.75 per 1lb 6oz or what ever that size is. Take a little longer to cook, but its worth it.

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Omen said:
What do you mean? I was posting according to what we are talking about. Not about what is the better of the two. And good luck on an all isolate in 10lbs for $50. Not gonna happen if it's a high quality one.

Wasn't aware of that strong.... shipping then and supps have to suck.

If you aren't aware of this site you may check it out for Europe

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/
Thanks omen.

Check 1fast400 for supps in the US. 10lbs optimum nutrition comes at 70$ (used to be 40$)

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
stronglifts said:
Thanks omen.

Check 1fast400 for supps in the US. 10lbs optimum nutrition comes at 70$ (used to be 40$)
Order my vitamins and fish oil from there all the time :up:

Espi... Remember that N-Large is a weight gainer and not just a whey protein.

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Omen said:
Order my vitamins and fish oil from there all the time :up:

Espi... Remember that N-Large is a weight gainer and not just a whey protein.
Myeah it got sugar, just noticed it. I'm on the Anabolic Diet Espi.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
last time I checked, cytosport is the cheapest protein/dollar.

My favorite powder is trader joes milk and egg powder, it has no sugar at all and tastes great. However, they don't sell em for more than like 1 lbs, making it very expensive compared to what you can get in bulk.

DarthJuan

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
PeterNorthisawesome said:
Is there a reason why your choosing brown rice instead of white rice?/QUOTE]

It's healthier.
I really don't like the taste of it though...I grew up eating white rice. Brown rice is rather gritty and tough.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I saw over on intensemuscle.com that trueprotein.com is looking into adding vegetable sources of protein (and others) that are cheaper than even whey at its low price and are better quality (such as higher in leucine). Yeah you might say vegetable is an incomplete protein, but not if you mix multiple sources together.

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=25289

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mrRuckus said:
I saw over on intensemuscle.com that trueprotein.com is looking into adding vegetable sources of protein (and others) that are cheaper than even whey at its low price and are better quality (such as higher in leucine). Yeah you might say vegetable is an incomplete protein, but not if you mix multiple sources together.

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=25289
I know protein is not a protein. But I don't see any reason why an amino acid is not an amino acid.

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
spesmilitis said:
I know protein is not a protein. But I don't see any reason why an amino acid is not an amino acid.
An amino will be an amino (same) in each protein, but the amount is all different, across the board. Some proteins are higher in certain ones than others.

The biggest difference in proteins, is its BV, and how its digested in the body (as in the rate)

There will also be other things in protein that vary. Whether IGF1, or the many other things you find in protein. For instance a milk protein doesn't contain what a soy protein contains. Not going to find the Soy Isoflavones in milk.

So that's usually the difference in proteins.

Vegetable will prob be added, and is already some places. You can get hemp protein, you can get rice protein, and other ones too, so veggie protein is next.

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Great post.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
stronglifts said:
You probably think eating healthy is expensive. I’ll be honest — it is.
but as you point out in the article, it's false economy, from the standpoint of longterm health. also healthy eating only seems expensive (at least in the US, this may vary elsewhere) because

- US ag subsidies make corn syrup, soy protein, white wheat flour, etc. cheaper relative to fruits & veggies, which receive zero targeted subsidies (at least in the US)

- food as a percentage of American household budgets is declining, even as we eat out as an ever higher percentage of our meals. i've been around some families this summer that eat out essentially every meal! yet eating heathy foods at home is cheaper than nearly any eating out. if we ate only at home (or home-prepped stuff), we'd still be spending less than ever before, even if we bought exclusively the healthiest stuff possible.

- we've been brainwashed into thinking we need to find "healthy" prepackaged foods (i gagged on a "Healthy Choice" tv dinner commercial earlier this week -- dammit, all I wanted was an update on nearby tornado warnings!). there are no healthy prepackaged foods. pre-packaged is almost by definition always inferior to stuff in the produce aisle -- you know, the one most people hurry past.

- we've bought into a false sense of "convenience"... honestly, which is more inconvenient, a few minutes per day cutting up fruits and veggies (and occasionally sharpening said knife), or shooting yourself up with insulin every few hours? 10-20 minutes per day cooking your own meat, or taking six b.p. & heart meds every morning?

- we constantly chase the latest magic bullet (this month it's "Alli") or fad diet, eliminate the latest culinary villain, and embrace any scrap of news that seems to encourage our worst habits. fat bad! wine good! carbs bad! chocolate good! never once exposing our habits to the harsh glare of sound underlying dietary principles, instead trying to gather up enough of the right magic bullets to outweigh all our bad habits. we are consummate bookkeepers, punishing ourselves psychologically for each "slip" -- and then rewarding any good behavior with a few bad ones. the underlying math is not just misleading or distorted -- it's dangerous.

my summer has put me in the position of eating whatever is put before me -- much of it crap (though i've discovered a few new fruits & veggies that i wouldn't have tried on my own). fortunately i've also been in a position to burn it all off and more. but I can't wait to get back to cooking for myself.....