Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Taking a week off lifting

Stanley

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How frequently do you guys take breaks from lifting (intentionally)?

I've always been athletic, but during the pandemic I got into working out on a regular basis. From July of 2022 to late December I lifted basically every single day in some way. Did your basic 5x5 routines focusing on compound lifts and got into weighted calisthenics. My gains were significant, but as I put up heavier weight I needed more recovery time and went PPL and upper lower splits.

It now been 3 months without breaking my routine and I take proper rest days, gains have been good, although my arms are slow growing. I've heard some guys say every few months you should take a week off. I did that once before and saw my numbers go up and my shoulder impingement went away as well. Wondering if there is any real validity to that statement or if you fellas take intentional time off for this reason.

Thanks

M

member160292

Don’t.

I was away from the gym due to work and travel for 5 weeks. Hotel gyms are hello kitty compared to your regular membership. Lost almost 30% of my strength.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes. You can take breaks even more frequently than that. Most naturals are overtraining as is.

I used to take 4-6 weeks off of lifting, twice a year. I did not ever noticeably lose strength.

Stanley

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don’t.

I was away from the gym due to work and travel for 5 weeks. Hotel gyms are hello kitty compared to your regular membership. Lost almost 30% of my strength.
I would take like literally seven days off and even then that would drive me insane. If I don't do some substantial physical activity I lose my ****. I have a spring break of sorts coming up and will be traveling, that is why I am considering taking a weeks absence. Otherwise I'd switch to body weights and running during my travels,

Also my gym is my garage with some dumbells and a squat rack

Last edited:

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I would take like literally seven days off and even then that would drive me insane. If I don't do some substantial physical activity I lose my ****. I have a spring break of sorts coming up and will be traveling, that is why I am considering taking a weeks absence. Otherwise I'd switch to body weights and running during my travels,

Also my gym is my garage with some dumbells and a squat rack
You can take time off from lifting and do stuff like Pilates or go hiking to fill in

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do a de-load instead

Stanley

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do a de-load instead
Well in this instance I would be away from any weights so I wouldn't have the option to.
You can take time off from lifting and do stuff like Pilates or go hiking to fill in
Yeah i'm an avid hiker and I used to run daily, but it kept me rail thin so I toned it back a bit. I'll probably just force myself to 'relax' or end up finding something to do pull ups on wherever I end up going lol

jaymbrs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Listen to your body. I have shoulder and back issues that appear on and off. I’m currently dealing with shoulder discomfort so I’m taking 2 days off and when I’m back to it my workouts will be other muscle groups until my shoulder feels back to 100%.
However every 3 or so months I’ll take 5 days off to fully rest. It’s worked very well for me.

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well in this instance I would be away from any weights so I wouldn't have the option to.
Your OP says do you take intentional days off lifting, no. Apart from rest days, injuries and deloads why would you?

Stanley

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your OP says do you take intentional days off lifting, no. Apart from rest days, injuries and deloads why would you?
From what I understand deloading is done as a short planned period of recovery? but i've also seen guys say take a full break instead. My power lifting friends said they take a week off every few months or so.

Is there a reason you prefer a deload vs taking a few days/week off? In my case i'll be taking a week off from the gym for travels and that is why I inquired.

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
From what I understand deloading is done as a short planned period of recovery? but i've also seen guys say take a full break instead. My power lifting friends said they take a week off every few months or so.

Is there a reason you prefer a deload vs taking a few days/week off? In my case i'll be taking a week off from the gym for travels and that is why I inquired.
I’m not an advanced lifter so a week off is not needed. My sleep and nutrition is good. It’s going to depend on the person, take a week off if you plateau or if you’re over training, but you shouldn’t be over training in the first place.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I’m not an advanced lifter so a week off is not needed. My sleep and nutrition is good. It’s going to depend on the person, take a week off if you plateau or if you’re over training, but you shouldn’t be over training in the first place.
Easier said than done...overtraining isn't always easy to spot and differs wildly based on individuals.

One of the more easy ways to spot it is not sleeping well or waking up in the middle of the night

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Easier said than done...overtraining isn't always easy to spot and differs wildly based on individuals.

One of the more easy ways to spot it is not sleeping well or waking up in the middle of the night
And low energy, easy to spot if you're self aware and know what to look for

Stanley

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
See, this is why I ask.

I learned basic movements and form from a more experienced lifter years ago, but I lift by myself at home. I'm still in my early years of training with consistency and I have a hard time grasping when I overtrain. As mentioned, my strength gains have been consistent and my form has not suffered either as I go up in weight. I do however keep it a little lighter and go more reps and volume since I lift by myself and really focus on form.

I didn't even consider sleep being affected, i've not been a great sleeper ever, but the past couple weeks I do not feel rested. I also have been randomly waking up at like 4am. Diet is great though and energy levels are fairly typical.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
And low energy, easy to spot if you're self aware and know what to look for
Yes...that and having an overwhelming feeling where you simply just don't feel like working out falls into the same vein.

Perhaps one that isn't as easy to spot but is highly accurate is taking your pulse rate when you wake up. If it is relatively higher than your base pulse rate it is a sign of overtraining.