Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

The Official Thread: Which Car(s) to Get?

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Toyota or Honda, those are the only real options if you want something that will be reliable long-term.

American and german cars are ticking time bombs of super expensive repairs.

Check out Car Wizard on Youtube for great advice from a guy who knows what the known problems are with brands/models.
Car Wizard, Scanner Danner, Scotty Kilmer, Eric the Car Guy, and ChrisFix are all good. DonutMedia is obnoxious but has good info. The amateur guys suck lol.

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
To provide a brief example of what a pain in the ass working on your car can be, I purchased a decent $40 multimeter to do testing on my electrical system. It rained today and cleared up at twilight, and when going to use it, I discovered that damn thing has no backlit display (unlike just about every other electronic device made these days). It appears the manufacturer expects the consumer to use a flashlight while working at night when your hands are needed to work the two probes. These same people also provide an instruction manual that is in size 4 font and can't be read without a magnifying glass.

This is the kind of petty sh1t that will drive you nuts, but the car community kinda expects people to suck it up. This is a good area where complaining can be useful. If the consumer base doesn't make demands, they can expect to be taken advantage of every time. But since cars are an object of pride, no one wants to be the one who b1tches. Which in turn makes everyone a b1tch to bullsh1t.

Just a short rant but again, get a reliable car. Working on your car sucks. Don't be fooled if you can easily grasp the theory.

Last edited:

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Car Wizard, Scanner Danner, Scotty Kilmer, Eric the Car Guy, and ChrisFix are all good. DonutMedia is obnoxious but has good info. The amateur guys suck lol.
I am familiar with Scotty Kilmer but not the other guys. I like Kilmer. I think that Kilmer is a good guy to take someone from minimal car knowledge to at least intermediate level by regularly watching his videos.

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
All you really have to do is make a point to drive both cars. If you're well familiar with your original car, it's not a huge deal to have to familiarize yourself with one more. Buying two used cars at once would suck though.

This way if one breaks down you have a mere project on your hands instead of a headache/nightmare that needs to be urgently attended to.
That’s the idea behind me wanting two cars. Don’t want to put myself in this situation ever again.

While it is really cool trying out a different rental car every weekend, having to talk to these corporate car rental people on the phone every single week really sucks.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That’s the idea behind me wanting two cars. Don’t want to put myself in this situation ever again.
The only reason to have two or more cars is if they are necessary for business purposes. (I.e. work truck, business vehicle owned by the business, etc). There is just no need for a guy with a job to have two cars.

Deranged

Don Juan
Reaction score
The only reason to have two or more cars is if they are necessary for business purposes. (I.e. work truck, business vehicle owned by the business, etc). There is just no need for a guy with a job to have two cars.
As a motorhead I disagree. I believe the ultimate garage contains a vehicle designed for each purpose and can justify it because cars are a passion. A motorbike for when you need to escape to the open road and need a good adrenaline kick. A truck for moving stuff and camping/heading out to the mountains and of course when the weather really goes to shvt. A daily driver that's powerful, classy, seats 4 and not too over the top. Finally a very fast 2 door 2 seater just for Sunday driving and dates.

And +1 for anything Lexus/Toyota

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wanted to make an official thread on this… time to get a new car.

I’ll have to call my credit union and get a car loan. I can’t be car-less like this anymore.

For my main, my aim is to get a car that I can drive to hell and back. I want to drive out of town and back every single weekend, and just have many adventures. Mainly for game lol. I need a car that I can beat into the ground, essentially. I’m still establishing myself financially, so it’ll be a used car. I think it’s smarter to buy used cars anyways, because cars are depreciating assets. I don’t need some super fancy car.

But, I have no clue what to get tbh. I used to drive a 2009 Chevy Malibu. I thought maybe a 2012-2018 Honda Accord could be good for my purposes.

I also want to have a beater car, preferably one that I can buy outright. This way, when my car eventually breaks down, I’m not completely crippled while I work on getting a new one.

Just wanted to know what I should get, which ones I should target. There are so many options.
HAve you thought about getting a motorcycle?

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As a motorhead I disagree. I believe the ultimate garage contains a vehicle designed for each purpose and can justify it because cars are a passion. A motorbike for when you need to escape to the open road and need a good adrenaline kick. A truck for moving stuff and camping/heading out to the mountains and of course when the weather really goes to shvt. A daily driver that's powerful, classy, seats 4 and not too over the top. Finally a very fast 2 door 2 seater just for Sunday driving and dates.
If you’re rich, maybe. Who else has money for FOUR vehicles?

I own one car and one road bicycle. That’s enough expense as it is.

threeforfree

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Four vehicles...
(4) annual vehicle registrations, possibly state inspections
(4) insured vehicles, and if they aren't crap vehicles and you have full coverage... OUCH
(16) tires to maintain...

That's a lot of money going up in smoke to have three vehicles sitting idle at all times. You're better off getting a nice AWD car that looks good year round and has impressive performance but can handle weather, then rent (or borrow) a truck if you need it.

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Four vehicles...
(4) annual vehicle registrations, possibly state inspections
(4) insured vehicles, and if they aren't crap vehicles and you have full coverage... OUCH
(16) tires to maintain...

That's a lot of money going up in smoke to have three vehicles sitting idle at all times. You're better off getting a nice AWD car that looks good year round and has impressive performance but can handle weather, then rent (or borrow) a truck if you need it.
Don’t remind me how much those tires cost bro :lol:

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You know, I’ve been putting some thought into it: having a motorcycle as a second means of transportation wouldn’t be too bad.

And it’s badass lol
Take the safety course. It will save your life.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don’t get AWD @nicksaiz65 unless you live up in the mountains or hills. AWD is a mostly a rip off and waste of money. AWD just burns through gas and tires quicker.
In most areas, AWD won't be useful all that much. In most of the Sun Belt states, it's only useful 5 days a year or less.

The two brands most associated with AWD are Audi and Subaru. Audi is a luxury product whereas Subaru is more mass marketed. It's not the AWD that makes Subaru popular. It's the dog carrying capabilities.

If you look at Subaru sales, the two most popular models are the Outback and the Forester. Those are unibody constructed crossovers with wagon style trunks. Subaru has the Legacy sedan, which is the same general body style as the Outback crossover wagon. Both the Legacy and Outback have AWD. If it were solely about AWD, Legacy and Outback sales would be similar. The Outback drastically outsells the Legacy because of the wagon body style which is more dog friendly than a sedan trunk.

Many more people now have pets, that's what makes crossovers so popular. The Millennials (born 1981/82-1996) are the most pet crazed generation ever. Crossovers became the most popular body style of car (see below) between 2000-2018, mostly taking market share from sedans and SUVs. This trend happened as more and more Millennials became car owners.

I like the sedan body style a lot but it appears to be a dying segment. In terms of mass brands, the Camry, the Accord, and the Nissan Altima are the only viable ones. The Big 3 American automakers phased out sedans many years ago. It's a not well selling product for Subaru. I think the Mazda 3 does well, but I perceive more hype around Mazda's CX crossovers than the 3 sedan.

BMW used to be a primarily sedan company. They had sporty sedans (3 Series), mid-sized sedans (5 Series), and full sized luxury sedans (7 Series). Their model line became more complex by adding the X Series sedans.

Sports cars are awesome too, but fewer of those are sold. Chevrolet is discontinuing the Camaro after the 2024 model, partially due to declining sales and partially due to the fact that GM is a cucked company. Ford is still keeping the Mustang. Porsche diversified away from traditional sports cars.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In most areas, AWD won't be useful all that much. In most of the Sun Belt states, it's only useful 5 days a year or less.
It’s not useful at all unless you live up in the mountains. I grew up in the snowbelt. Modern FWD and RWD cars with traction control systems + a set of snow tires is more than fine in 99.9% of scenarios. They sell AWD for the juicy markup in profit. The owner pays for it dearly over the life of the vehicle.

Sports cars are awesome too, but fewer of those are sold. Chevrolet is discontinuing the Camaro after the 2024 model, partially due to declining sales and partially due to the fact that GM is a cucked company. Ford is still keeping the Mustang. Porsche diversified away from traditional sports cars.
Shame how low car sales have fallen. I never thought I’d see the Camaro discontinued.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It’s not useful at all unless you live up in the mountains. I grew up in the snowbelt. Modern FWD and RWD cars with traction control systems + a set of snow tires is more than fine in 99.9% of scenarios. They sell AWD for the juicy markup in profit. The owner pays for it dearly over the life of the vehicle.
I agree with the comment about FWD and RWD. A lot of those FWD and RWD cars are not good dog carriers though. A lot of this is about carrying dogs and somewhat about children. I mentioned the Subaru Outback and Subaru Forester, but those are far from the only crossovers worth discussing. Think about the Toyota Rav4, Lexus RX, Mazda CX, etc.

Shame how low car sales have fallen. I never thought I’d see the Camaro discontinued.
The Camaro was discontinued after 2002, then it returned for the 2009 model year. GM has been incompetent for a long time, and now they're a government cucked company.

In most years, the Mustang has outsold the Camaro.

shwami_salami

Don Juan
Reaction score
I wanted to make an official thread on this… time to get a new car.

I’ll have to call my credit union and get a car loan. I can’t be car-less like this anymore.

For my main, my aim is to get a car that I can drive to hell and back. I want to drive out of town and back every single weekend, and just have many adventures. Mainly for game lol. I need a car that I can beat into the ground, essentially. I’m still establishing myself financially, so it’ll be a used car. I think it’s smarter to buy used cars anyways, because cars are depreciating assets. I don’t need some super fancy car.

But, I have no clue what to get tbh. I used to drive a 2009 Chevy Malibu. I thought maybe a 2012-2018 Honda Accord could be good for my purposes.

I also want to have a beater car, preferably one that I can buy outright. This way, when my car eventually breaks down, I’m not completely crippled while I work on getting a new one.

Just wanted to know what I should get, which ones I should target. There are so many options.
Toyota Camry, bar none. Toyota like never break down ever. But Camry's are the best all around in their models. Nowadays though, their focus in reliability seems to be geared towards the RAV4. Makes sens as that is what trends are going for. Not all Toyota are great, but if you had to pick like 3 I say RAV4, Camry, & maybe a Corrola. From new to used.

I always had the best luck on picking the most popular brands for quality in almost everything. But you gotta be careful as some Brands make **** items, so you have to test and pick out the best. It's almost like they have a secret item they want no one to know about, but it's in their lineup. If that makes sense haha. That's my 1 cent, I've studied and tested heavily on retail stuff for years, so I know their **** lol.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
@nicksaiz65 -- It's been 11 days since the thread started. Where does this effort stand right now?

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
@nicksaiz65 -- It's been 11 days since the thread started. Where does this effort stand right now?
I got in contact with the credit union and have been approved for a loan. Have a list of used cars that I’d like to look at, will likely will go Honda.

I will say, I got to drive a 2021 Charger through my company the other day. Man, it’s nice!!! It makes me want to get one of them, even though that’s probably a poor financial decision:lol:

Last edited: