"Stop Asking Your Friends What to Text Her"

Your buddy Dave has been single for three years and thinks "hey u up" is a valid strategy. Your other buddy Mike just got dumped and told you to "just be yourself."

You showed them her text. You asked them to decode the emoji. You drafted four responses and sent the screenshot to the group chat for a vote.

She's been waiting forty minutes.

Put the phone down. Stop crowdsourcing your love life. Type something that sounds like you. Hit send. Then go do literally anything else with your evening.

Read more...

"How to Win Friends and Influence People" and the Alpha male?

RickTheToad

Moderator
Joined
Apr 21, 2018
Messages
6,603
Reaction score
5,138
Location
Bridgeport, CT
After reading How To Win Friends and Influence People, I got a constant message: always listen to peoples' opinion, respect their opinion, and never overtly disagree, but to change their minds you need to agree with them first.

Yet I've also picked up that to be an alpha male, you musn't give a sh!t about other people.


How should the two be meshed? I don't want to "not give a sh!t", but at the same time don't want to end up like a wuss. Yet I'm not sure how to achieve this.

Should I express my own opinions openly, even if it offends people? Or should I covertly suggest my opinion while respecting everyone's opinion? How are the two ideals (Dale Carnegie's views and the Alpha male) mixed together?
You need a healthy balance of the two. Only with time and experience will you learn the ebb and flow on how to deal with people. Always remain calm, speak in a controlled manner and seem to be in control of the situation; even when you aren't. Be nice at times, but firm. Be understandable at times, but keep people on point.

This is called experience. Even I am still a student of it.
 

"I just moved here from Florida."

That sentence contains at least five follow-up questions she WANTS you to ask. Where in Florida? What brought you here? How long have you been in the area? What do you miss? How does it compare to here?

She handed them to you on a silver platter. And you said, "Oh cool. I come here every week. I love this band. Ummm... pretty crowded tonight."

She smiled politely. Nodded. And never texted you back.

I was that guy for years. Talking too much. Listening too little. Panicking about my next sentence while she was literally feeding me the answers.

Then I found 22 rules that fixed the whole thing. Rule number one: shut up and listen. She'll tell you exactly what to say.

Read more...

Epicenter

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jun 10, 2020
Messages
1,003
Reaction score
376
Age
55
I've read some time ago that he wrote about his experience before his planned execution. His perception of his surroundings changed and intensified during the moments before the execution. After he was reprieved and sent into exile, his whole style of writing changed. Shortly after he published Crime and Punishment. It seems to be one of his most popular works.

Were you able to tell a difference in his writings during the timeline before and after the reprieval?
I haven't read books before the execution situation.

I read Crime and Punishment. As far as I can remember it was not fun to read at all. It was very dark from the perspective of a mentally ill guy.

I am reading now "The Brothers Karamazov". It feels rather fun and light hearted to read at least in the beginning. Same with "The Idiot". I am reading them at the same time in different languages.
 

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Joined
Aug 27, 2015
Messages
17,586
Reaction score
11,948
Location
DFW, TX
Imagine calling yourself a female chauvinist in the 1940s. You won't only have women as enemies, but also men. They won't let you have what you shouldn't possess in the first place. It's their privilege.
Was this the author of the "manipulated male"?
 

HyenaPrince

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jun 27, 2020
Messages
579
Reaction score
815
Was this the author of the "manipulated male"?
The Manipulated Man was written by Esther Vilar. I've read that book. Damn is it extreme. But she's absolutely right. I was talking about Ayn Rand before.
 

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Joined
Aug 27, 2015
Messages
17,586
Reaction score
11,948
Location
DFW, TX
The Manipulated Man was written by Esther Vilar. I've read that book. Damn is it extreme. But she's absolutely right. I was talking about Ayn Rand before.
Manipulated man IS EXTREME. I don't think she literally think women are stupid. But she was providing the dialog So that men can understand what they are signing up for. And that in the interaction they ate always performing a role. Understand the other gender mindset and strategy.
 

"She's Out of Your League"

You've said it a hundred times. Maybe a thousand. And every time you say it, you train your brain to freeze the next time she walks into the room.

Leagues are a myth invented by guys who are scared of women.

She's a person. She has bad breath in the morning. She picks songs she can't sing in the shower. She overthinks her own texts.

Walk over. Say something. The league dissolves the second you open your mouth.

Read more...

HyenaPrince

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jun 27, 2020
Messages
579
Reaction score
815
Manipulated man IS EXTREME. I don't think she literally think women are stupid. But she was providing the dialog So that men can understand what they are signing up for. And that in the interaction they ate always performing a role. Understand the other gender mindset and strategy.
You're right, she was providing the dialogue. She's right though. She shows us the "worst" parts of female nature, how they really perceive men and that they don't like us in the least. They solely need us for our functionality and simulate any interest in our favorite topics to create the feeling of love.

Damn, this woman really did her gender peers like that by writing this valuable piece.
 

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Joined
Aug 27, 2015
Messages
17,586
Reaction score
11,948
Location
DFW, TX
You're right, she was providing the dialogue. She's right though. She shows us the "worst" parts of female nature, how they really perceive men and that they don't like us in the least. They solely need us for our functionality and simulate any interest in our favorite topics to create the feeling of love.

Damn, this woman really did her gender peers like that by writing this valuable piece.
It's a really good book for detachment and helping a man to be completely "self-contained". We can perform some services provided we get what we need for it.
 
Top